Adequacy of Irish Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laners View Post
    I had a discussion in work one day in relation to water chargers , those opposed to them argued that it should be free because it just fell from the sky , i put it to them that if that was their argument then natural gas should be free as well due to it coming out of a hole in the ground at the bottom of the sea . None of them could fathom how it arrived at their homes ( or didn't want to know ) .
    Same for electricity and sewage and pretty much all the other services, there's no attempt to understand the scale and costs of the infrastructure needed for such services.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
      Same for electricity and sewage and pretty much all the other services, there's no attempt to understand the scale and costs of the infrastructure needed for such services.
      Scaling is very apt for ports as charges evolve around tonnage to determine pilotage and port usage. Dublin Port company is having second thoughts on creating a dedicated Cruising base as such ships are planned to reach only a figure of 150 ships as against 8000 cargo ships.
      However 150 cruise liners would create a tonnage of 7.5m plus 375,000 passengers and crew, 8000 cargo vessels ( assuming 3000t average) creates 24m tonnage , only 3 times the cruise tonnage , but very little spending power with few passengers if any for shops and tours.
      If they change their mind it is a double whammy to the intended cruising from Ireland this year ( Dublin and Cobh ) and the loss of the Drydock and ship repair as already planned. There needs to be a National Plan and direct Control of "on and off" Island Transport and it's infrastructure.
      Last edited by ancientmariner; 10 February 2019, 18:07.

Comment

In terms of Dublin reviewing it's Cruise Terminal, it might help Cobh's plan for a second terminal, though how that will work for traffic flow in Cobh is another question.

Comment

There is plenty of room for two terminals, once you accept that one ship will be smaller than the other. Port of cork frequently sees three cruise liners visit at once. One goes to Cobh, One Ringaskiddy and the smaller to the city quays when possible. The Redevelopment of Tivoli Docks as a residential area could see a fourth cruise liner berth within the Port of Cork area of operating.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmitÃ* View Post
            There is plenty of room for two terminals, once you accept that one ship will be smaller than the other. Port of cork frequently sees three cruise liners visit at once. One goes to Cobh, One Ringaskiddy and the smaller to the city quays when possible. The Redevelopment of Tivoli Docks as a residential area could see a fourth cruise liner berth within the Port of Cork area of operating.
            I'm not talking about the entire port, I'm talking about another terminal in Cobh itself down by Lynch's Quay, getting 52 seater buses there is going to be "interesting"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
              I'm not talking about the entire port, I'm talking about another terminal in Cobh itself down by Lynch's Quay, getting 52 seater buses there is going to be "interesting"
              There????? Madness!
              You only have 50m of "quay" by the old town hall/chinese. You could expand that into the channel I suppose, there is still lots of room there, but the 12kn tidal current there could make things interesting when berthing.
              The dole office will make a great visitor info centre....

Comment

There????? Madness!
                You only have 50m of "quay" by the old town hall/chinese. You could expand that into the channel I suppose, there is still lots of room there, but the 12kn tidal current there could make things interesting when berthing.
                The dole office will make a great visitor info centre....
                I agree, hence why I said it would be "interesting" in the "holy shite" way. But yeah that's the reported plan for about 20 million:
                The Port of Cork recently engaged with Price Waterhouse to seek expressions of interest from the private sector to develop and/or operate a new cruise berth at Lynch’s Quay in Cobh.

“Already we’re encouraged by the level of interest,” Mr Keating said. “We’d hope to see it constructed in the next five to six years. We are planning ahead and it will enhance our ability to cater for the biggest ships in the world.”
                Records continue to tumble as more and more cruise liners are visiting Cork — so much so that the Port of Cork is hoping to build a second cruise liner berth in Cobh.

Comment

Build a jetty out from the chinese, make it big enough to accomodate all the buses. I think 30 is normal at a time for the deepwater. With all due respect to Port of Cork, I don't see them getting a foreshore licence.

Comment

Build a jetty out from the chinese, make it big enough to accomodate all the buses. I think 30 is normal at a time for the deepwater. With all due respect to Port of Cork, I don't see them getting a foreshore licence.
                    Whatever ensues any new pier will need to comply with International recommendations to minimise greenhouses gases. The major requirement is shore power already available throughout Europe and the USA. We need to consider up to 100.000kilowatts. We also need some pump out facilities for poop and grey water, and supply fresh water/ FF water on hydrants. The latter needs connection into ship system when she is on shore power-maybe no pumps runnable.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                      Whatever ensues any new pier will need to comply with International recommendations to minimise greenhouses gases. The major requirement is shore power already available throughout Europe and the USA. We need to consider up to 100.000kilowatts. We also need some pump out facilities for poop and grey water, and supply fresh water/ FF water on hydrants. The latter needs connection into ship system when she is on shore power-maybe no pumps runnable.
                      So there is a bit more to it than just providing a gangway and a couple of bloody big bollards then?
                      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Of course if the cruise ship owners decide that Cobh is no longer to their customers liking there is nothing to stop them from bi passing Cobh , and who will be left with the bill for all the infrastructure .
                        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                          Of course if the cruise ship owners decide that Cobh is no longer to their customers liking there is nothing to stop them from bi passing Cobh , and who will be left with the bill for all the infrastructure .
                          At the moment, with 150 cruise calls, Ireland, as an island, is in the top ten. Shore power is going to be imposed on all ships going forward as a means of minimising diesel usage in port. Ireland will remain popular as is the case with any coastal state or Island, unless we over milk it.

Comment

• Hopefully by then it'll be paid for and we'll all be dead anyway...

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                              Of course if the cruise ship owners decide that Cobh is no longer to their customers liking there is nothing to stop them from bi passing Cobh , and who will be left with the bill for all the infrastructure .
                              Given the increase in usage in Cork I don't see them cutting that, I mean right now the major complaint is when they don't get a berth at Cobh and get stuck over in Ringaskiddy. With Dublin coming out and saying they are rethinking the entire idea of having Cruise ships then Cork remains a main draw.

Comment

• Well lets hope we stay popular with everyone then .On a similar note Rosslare was not popular enough for Irish Ferries to continue their service to France from there , it would seem that Ireland's strategic needs are at the whim of commercial interests .
                                Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Working...
                                X