Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    I wasn’t referring to the vessels I was referring to the city

5 axle HGVs aren’t allowed through the city between 0700 and 1900 hrs without a permit

Now if you have lighter goods that can be carried to/from the port (especially the Southside) on a 2 axle tractor unit and 2 axle trailer via Strand Road, which can be very advantageous if your on the Southside
    That might be something that might give for a time period if needed, I mean I was reading that Circle K has already been talking to the Gardaí and Dublin port to ensure that their tankers can get out no matter what. I'd say there are going to be "adaptions" as we go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
      The lane metres of the ships stays the same regardless of the weight and number of axles , and no trough traffic of heavy goods vehicles allowed trough Dublin except those with a permit for a local delivery .
      That's why i said trough traffic , as in passing trough Dublin and on wards .
      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
        That might be something that might give for a time period if needed, I mean I was reading that Circle K has already been talking to the Gardaí and Dublin port to ensure that their tankers can get out no matter what. I'd say there are going to be "adaptions" as we go.
        I know a company that defeats the 5 axle ban and saves hours on a daily basis by using Strand Road with a 2 axle tractor unit and 2 axle trailer on a daily basis

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
          ( Does anyone know if the second link span at Ringaskiddy is operational )
          Not for some time. Even when the Swansea cork ferry was operating, it waited for the other linkspan to free up. It is not part of the future plans of Port of Cork in Ringaskiddy.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmitÃ* View Post
            Not for some time. Even when the Swansea cork ferry was operating, it waited for the other linkspan to free up. It is not part of the future plans of Port of Cork in Ringaskiddy.
            There was a Planning decision in 2015 in respect of use of a Link-Span at Ringaskiddy requiring it's use to be deferred until completion of road works on N28 and works at Dunkettle Roundabout Co. Cork.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
              There was a Planning decision in 2015 in respect of use of a Link-Span at Ringaskiddy requiring it's use to be deferred until completion of road works on N28 and works at Dunkettle Roundabout Co. Cork.
              As part of the Planning to expand berthage and handling space at Ringaskiddy, the contractor is required to build a slip , pier, and boating park near Paddy's Block adjacent to the entrance to the Naval Base. Shortly, with Amenity Park , there will be Refreshments and Ice Cream and throw away rubbish.

Comment

As part of the Planning to expand berthage and handling space at Ringaskiddy, the contractor is required to build a slip , pier, and boating park near Paddy's Block adjacent to the entrance to the Naval Base. Shortly, with Amenity Park , there will be Refreshments and Ice Cream and throw away rubbish.
                The news keeps pouring in. The EU environmentalists want the clean up at Haulbowline to continue on the Mill site as soon as possible or we will incur daily EU fines for non-compliance.
                The H&W yard at Belfast is losing Olsen funding and will have to go it alone unless support can be obtained. Their last big drydocking was a Cruise liner in 2018 and some ongoing short back and sides stuff for Stena.
                The new piers at Ringaskiddy are planned at 183m and 134m which is miniscule when compared to the new coastal Port at Bangkok at LAEM CHABANG where the berths vary from 300m to double berths of 700m all with 14m of depth alongside . They also have some Naval piers leased out at similar 300m lengths. We need up to 800 metres for all our ships to be alongside for Shore Power and firefighting water.
                Last edited by ancientmariner; 14 February 2019, 22:57.

Comment

The news keeps pouring in. The EU environmentalists want the clean up at Haulbowline to continue on the Mill site as soon as possible or we will incur daily EU fines for non-compliance.
                  The H&W yard at Belfast is losing Olsen funding and will have to go it alone unless support can be obtained. Their last big drydocking was a Cruise liner in 2018 and some ongoing short back and sides stuff for Stena.
                  The new piers at Ringaskiddy are planned at 183m and 134m which is miniscule when compared to the new coastal Port at Bangkok at LAEM CHABANG where the berths vary from 300m to double berths of 700m all with 14m of depth alongside . They also have some Naval piers leased out at similar 300m lengths. We need up to 800 metres for all our ships to be alongside for Shore Power and firefighting water.

Cork City Council and Cork Port Company are in the process of changing the Cork Harbour Shipping (all types) facilities forever. The City Quays are to be abandoned, mainly because they will be transected by at least two bridges and the adjacent lands are drivers for Urban development by the Council. The Cork Port company want the land to be valued , plus value of lost facilities, so that they can replicate and improve harbour facilities at Ringaskiddy. There was a recent Oireachtas Committee to high light all of this plus a slide show to illustrate Port Company intentions. The major container terminal will be on Oyster bank adjacent to Haulbowline. I am amazed that a strategic Harbour user , such as the Navy, is not invited or consulted in it's own possible demise. As part of the Development , the Port Company will plank an amenity park at the entrance to Haulbowline. It is paramount that the Navy is party to ANY harbour development. My own view is that Ringaskiddy is too small a location to combine all Port needs from Cargo to Passengers, and from coasters to large container ships.

Comment

• R&H hall have indicated they are moving their operation from city jetties to the old IFI plant at Marino point. Works are at a very advanced stage.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Cork City Council and Cork Port Company are in the process of changing the Cork Harbour Shipping (all types) facilities forever. The City Quays are to be abandoned, mainly because they will be transected by at least two bridges and the adjacent lands are drivers for Urban development by the Council. The Cork Port company want the land to be valued , plus value of lost facilities, so that they can replicate and improve harbour facilities at Ringaskiddy. There was a recent Oireachtas Committee to high light all of this plus a slide show to illustrate Port Company intentions. The major container terminal will be on Oyster bank adjacent to Haulbowline. I am amazed that a strategic Harbour user , such as the Navy, is not invited or consulted in it's own possible demise. As part of the Development , the Port Company will plank an amenity park at the entrance to Haulbowline. It is paramount that the Navy is party to ANY harbour development. My own view is that Ringaskiddy is too small a location to combine all Port needs from Cargo to Passengers, and from coasters to large container ships.
                      The power's that should be, must implement an exclusion zone around all Defence properties for security purposes and safe separation. Take into account on water training areas for Divers and RHIB crews training. Adjacent Parks are in my opinion a problem-now or in the future.

Comment

• Startup has great hopes for a proposed solar power plant in Cork harbour

https://www.irishexaminer.com%2Fbrea...ur-941789.html

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post
                          Startup has great hopes for a proposed solar power plant in Cork harbour

https://www.irishexaminer.com%2Fbrea...ur-941789.html
                          The Solar Start-up company is proposing that they will initially build a floating solar power energy plant of 1.5mw, to be moored possibly in Cork harbour. They are hoping it will create a worldwide market. It probably could like a portable generator system that is movable. They are proposing it be built to " Marine Standards " to increase longevity. Again , let us hope this is not another incursion on Naval Space and that EMC/EMI problems don't effect the Naval Radio station. It will have to have a land based point for plugging into the National grid.

Comment

• It’s been given the green light to be built off ringaskiddy. Waiting on a foreshore license to be approved

Comment

• Probably less of an EMC/EMI concern than wind turbines, the panels produce no noise themselves - just DC energy, conversion to other voltages is where the noise could result and that can be greatly minimised with decent filtering. Worst of the interference (if any) probably confined to HF/MF and very localised - plus those frequencies seem to be of ever diminishing importance. I use solar energy around HF freqs fairly regularly.

Off topic:- this island currently has approx 4000MW of installed wind turbine capacity, with overall peak system demands usually hovering around 4500-5500MW.

So when the wind isn't blowing, the reliance of the network on imported electricity and imported gas is a bit worrying if things got very disorderly later in the year.
                              Last edited by pym; 5 August 2019, 23:10.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                                Probably less of an EMC/EMI concern than wind turbines, the panels produce no noise themselves - just DC energy, conversion to other voltages is where the noise could result and that can be greatly minimised with decent filtering. Worst of the interference (if any) probably confined to HF/MF and very localised - plus those frequencies seem to be of ever diminishing importance. I use solar energy around HF freqs fairly regularly.

Off topic:- this island currently has approx 4000MW of installed wind turbine capacity, with overall peak system demands usually hovering around 4500-5500MW.

So when the wind isn't blowing, the reliance of the network on imported electricity and imported gas is a bit worrying if things got very disorderly later in the year.
                                Pity the Interconnector to France didn't get underway a few years ago... Though would it have anyway if not for the current circumstances?
                                Also a bit off Topic but it's strange seeing some of the photos inside H&W's halls and facilities now that they have gone into Administration.

Comment

Working...
                                X