Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  51
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    I can just imagine the reaction of the DUP at the thought of Irish Naval ships being dry docked in Belfast . No, No, and No. Even though it helps the yard economically . They would see it as a Trojan Horse attempt to a United Ireland or a pending invasion .
    I will admit there is "Form" such as the fire on ILS Granuaile during a major refit at HW, post a grounding incident at the Maidens Lighthouse. They cleaned up and did a new refurbishment to the ship.
    As a young apprentice officer I was on the Irish Rose when we were loading seed potatoes in Belfast. We had our flag in the locker, when the foreman approached and said that the Dockers wouldn't load the ship unless we showed our Nationality. He said " put up your flag". We did each day we were there and we sailed with it flying. That was 1956/7 in Belfast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    I can just imagine the reaction of the DUP at the thought of Irish Naval ships being dry docked in Belfast . No, No, and No. Even though it helps the yard economically . They would see it as a Trojan Horse attempt to a United Ireland or a pending invasion .
    Ah...you'd be wrong there...

The yard is currently owned by a Norwegian firm, Fred Olsen Energy, not the DUP.

They dry dock and repair ships from all over the world...including Irish ships...

https://www.niferry.co.uk/irish-ferr...rther-delayed/
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    I will admit there is "Form" such as the fire on ILS Granuaile during a major refit at HW, post a grounding incident at the Maidens Lighthouse. They cleaned up and did a new refurbishment to the ship.
    As a young apprentice officer I was on the Irish Rose when we were loading seed potatoes in Belfast. We had our flag in the locker, when the foreman approached and said that the Dockers wouldn't load the ship unless we showed our Nationality. He said " put up your flag". We did each day we were there and we sailed with it flying. That was 1956/7 in Belfast.
    I'm in Belfast quite a bit...use the ferries a lot...and I often see ships flying the Irish flag...a good example being the above-mentioned ILS Granuaile...a frequent visitor.

I've also seen Irish Navy warships berthed beside Royal Navy warships and open to the public in both Belfast and Londonderry.

Oddly enough they were flying their national flag... and I don't think anyone was too bothered...given that it was an Irish ship.

It would be a bit strange if they hadn't flown their flag.

I also really had hoped that no-one would bring this sh#t up on a thread which is after all about Irish ports...I did hesitate to post that bit about H&W for that reason...but it seems some people (see #75) can't help themselves.

Says a lot really.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

4. Likes sofa liked this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was just a bit of humour nothing else , lighten up there .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Catholics controlled the docks if I remember.

7. Likes spider liked this post

Thread Information