Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cadetship entry requirements for candidates educated outside of the state?(The North)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadetship entry requirements for candidates educated outside of the state?(The North)

Would anyone happen to know the educational requirements for people applying for a cadetship who received their secondary education outside of the state?

I've tried emailing the DF and even messaged their recruitment Facebook page but they won't give me an answer.

I'm about to complete an honors degree but the criteria for graduate applicants also specifies Leaving Cert results as a minimum requirement.
    The requirements specify:

''1.Mathematics.
    2.Irish or English
    3.Any four Matriculation subjects not already selected''

I studied A Levels in the North and it's completely different to the leaving cert. I know a few other guys in Queens and Ulster University hoping to apply but we don't really know if we would pass the minimum educational requirements without a leaving cert.

Would anyone be able to point us in the right direction?

Originally posted by Gribben View Post
    Would anyone happen to know the educational requirements for people applying for a cadetship who received their secondary education outside of the state?

I've tried emailing the DF and even messaged their recruitment Facebook page but they won't give me an answer.

I'm about to complete an honors degree but the criteria for graduate applicants also specifies Leaving Cert results as a minimum requirement.

''1.Mathematics.
    2.Irish or English

I studied A Levels in the North and it's completely different to the leaving cert. I know a few other guys in Queens and Ulster University hoping to apply but we don't really know if we would pass the minimum educational requirements without a leaving cert.

You'll need to contact the DF about the specifics but if you have a half decent set of A levels and GCSEs; you should have no issue. You'll also shortly have a degree which should cement your educational qualifications.

The DF forces have taken UK applicants on as cadets before and they obviously wouldn't have had the leaving cert.

Comment

Cheers mate! Fingers crossed its all ok. I'm just trying to get everything ready for the competition this March/April.

Comment

''1.Mathematics.
        2.Irish or English

''1.Mathematics.
        2.Irish or English

The Army sends officers who have not completed a course of third level education to a third level institute, normally NUIG.

In order for you go to NUIG you'd need the following results as per the NUI matriculation regs - keep in mind these can and do change and what is required this year could change next year. As such the DF has tended to link its educational requirements to that of the NUI.

I wouldn't worry to much about not speaking Irish - there's an exemption from it if you look at the requirements for those educated outside the state. If you didn't opt for it at GCSE or A-Level it won't hold you back, since 2009 Maltese Cadets have managed and at a base level, DF Irish is a bastardised series of grunts and bellows on the square, largely issued by non fluent officers and nco's to troops who probably aren't native speakers unless they're from 1 Cn Cois or 28 Bn. In that case they'll be slating you and everyone else as gaelige and there's nothing you can do about it.

Any from the NUI website http://www.nui.ie/college/entry-requirements.asp

Also note the subjects the NUI deems acceptable.

4.3 Standard required for qualifications other than Leaving Certificate
        (i) GCE/GCSE Examinations
        Candidates must obtain a pass in at least six subjects, in accordance
        with faculty requirements as set out in Section 4.1 and obtain the
        following:
        • GCE Advanced Level
        At least Grade C in two recognised subjects (Grade A with Grade D or
        Grade E, or Grade B with Grade D are considered the equivalent of two
        Grade Cs).
        • GCE AS Level/GCSE Level
        At least Grade C in four other recognised subjects (GCE Advanced Level
        Grades A to D, E or O are accepted as GCSE O Level Pass Grades).
        (ii) Other Examinations
        The subjects passed and standard attained must be in accordance with
        the Faculty/College requirements set out above. (See Appendices for a
        list of European and International qualifications accepted for
        Matriculation purposes). Further information on the grades needed to
        satisfy Matriculation requirements is available from Admissions Offices.
        Holders of other qualifications not listed should make contact with the
        Admissions Office of the NUI institution they wish to enter.
        Last edited by northie; 18 October 2018, 06:42.

Comment

What email address did you contact them on?

Comment

Thanks a million mate! I did decent enough in my GCSE's and my A levels so I should be fine.

Also glad my lack of qualifications in Irish won't affect it. I was only taught it in school for 1 year but I've been going to night classes at Queens to improve it a bit. I know of guys up here who took their Irish GCSE and A-levels in their 20s to get into Garda college.

Comment

Apologies if I'm polluting the forum with stuff about the Cadetship competition but is there any word on when the 2019 competition will be opening?

Comment

Working...
              X