Plate Carrier Trials???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plate Carrier Trials???

Anyone have any info on the current plate carrier Trials that seem to be on going 😊😊😊

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20181201-WA0008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	699712

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20181201-WA0009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	699713

Correct me if I’m wrong but plate carriers don’t have side armour?

Comment

Pretty sure some do and some don't? Depends on the design? Then again I'm not 100% certain of my terminology.

Would be a welcome upgrade from the flacker bv combo 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggles View Post
        Anyone have any info on the current plate carrier Trials that seem to be on going 😊😊😊

[ATTACH]8610[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8611[/ATTACH]
        Yeah. There's a trial.And it's going on.
        Seriously though. The current GSBA is coming to the end of it's service life and a new scalable body armour has been recommended. It is NOT a plate carrier. Plate carriers provide zero protection from Frag. Only rounds. We need protection from both.Thats why soft armour(kevlar/aramid) will remain part of the ensemble.
        Last edited by apod; 2 December 2018, 19:09.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

So what do we call it? I've always just referred to any modular tactical vest that held plates as a plate carrier 😂 I mean isn't the point that you can can set them up how you like (are told) soft armour only, plates only, both? 🤷🤷🤷

Also, do you reckon this will be combat arm only issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggles View Post
            So what do we call it? I've always just referred to any modular tactical vest that held plates as a plate carrier 😂 I mean isn't the point that you can can set them up how you like (are told) soft armour only, plates only, both? 🤷🤷🤷

Also, do you reckon this will be combat arm only issue?
            IMBAS is going to be the offiical term. Integrated Modular Body Armour System. To clarify. A plate carrier only holds plates.No soft armour.You can't add soft armour to it. Only plates. The new system will have both.

BTW. Check PM's.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

This link might help to clarify.

Comment

My understanding (and I am open to correction) is that the plate carrier is more useful to those in exposed positions who do not require mobility, such as turret operators of afvs, crew of recce vehicles, military helicopters etc.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                  My understanding (and I am open to correction) is that the plate carrier is more useful to those in exposed positions who do not require mobility, such as turret operators of afvs, crew of recce vehicles, military helicopters etc.
                  Yes.And no.
                  AFV crews may still need soft armour depending on the threat level and spall protection provided by their vehicle.
                  Infantry may use just a plate carrier or downscale their modular system if the main threat is HV rounds and when the wearing of full up protection is impractical.
                  A good example would be the troops operating in the steep mountains of the Korengal valley in Afghanistan(main threat HV) as opposed to the valley floors and the desert tracks of Helmand(Main threat IED's AND HV).

Comment

having a look at the plate carriers, you attach the removable pouches to the carrier directly and dont use the gs vest anymore?
                    Also it seems to have less coverage over the shoulders and under the arms but its probably a weight and speed tradeoff?

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                      having a look at the plate carriers, you attach the removable pouches to the carrier directly and dont use the gs vest anymore?
                      Also it seems to have less coverage over the shoulders and under the arms but its probably a weight and speed tradeoff?
                      Correct as you always wear body armour

More supportive of weapon

Comment

Jasus , I thought a plate carrier was a mess steward .
                        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

From the two photos.....am I right in saying 5 types on trial??

A couple look fairly bulky just as is, minus pouches, and possibly plates? Would there be much added mobility, weight savings over current set up...?

The two options in multicam pattern look neatest.
                          An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                            From the two photos.....am I right in saying 5 types on trial??

A couple look fairly bulky just as is, minus pouches, and possibly plates? Would there be much added mobility, weight savings over current set up...?

The two options in multicam pattern look neatest.
                            Looks like it.

Two options from Safariland. One Aussie TBAS(Please ,please,please ,god let us get this one) an Offering from First Spear and an unknown.

As for bulk I guess that's all relative.Bulkier than the current offering with fixed neck protection and groin panel and the BV over the top?

Comment

It's a good opportunity to significantly lighten a fixed load troops have to carry and get the benefits of increased speed, agility and reduced weight stress.
                              If these factors aren't the main considerations (take that sufficient ballistic protection is a given) somebody has taken eye off the ball.
                              as to your point about current kit, yes absolutely must be lighter, slimmer than it. How much more is the key thing to maximize.
                              An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Working...
                              X