Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could any serving member of the army / air corp answer some of my questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could any serving member of the army / air corp answer some of my questions?

Hello, please excuse my stupid username

I'm pretty set on enlisting (I might go for a cadetship if the leaving goes well) in the army this year but i was hoping that some of my small possibly insignificant or stupid questions could be answered. Please forgive the order of the questions, they're just listed as i thought of them. I did work experience up in Finner so i have a fair idea of the structure etc.

1) After completing the psychometric testing, medical / fitness tests and passing the interview, are you asked what corp you want to placed in or are you just assigned one based on the demand for personnel?
    2) How are the work hours assigned? Is it shift work?
    3) Is it possible to mess up so badly that you get demoted? If so, is it possible to get demoted from a 3* to a 2*? (I'm led to believe that ,obviously it can happen, what would would have to do for a demotion to happen? Aside from accidentally killing or injuring someone with a weapon)
    4) Like with question 1, are you asked what barracks suits you location wise or is it again just based on the demand for personnel?
    5) I was told that "bootcamp / basic training" is more or less the same for air corps and army except the air corps training isn't as demanding, are 2 and 3* Airmen etc. used for jobs such as refueling the aircraft and maintenance or what tasks would they usually be assigned?
    6) Out of curiosity at morning parade does the the RSM or BSM list out names and tell them where to go and what to do (like 1 or 2 section of a certain platoon will be carrying out some exercise today)?
    7) In relation to question 6, Is every soldier assigned a section after they pass out or is it only when they go on operations?
    8) Are you allowed to sign out your weapon and go to the range for practice if you "book" a lane in the range or how does that work?
    9) What happens if you accidentally bring ammunition, explosives or some pyrotechnic home or outside of the barracks? Is there amnesty boxes (Some type of safe disposal box yoke)?
    10) Are you allowed to change corps? Go from infantry to cavalry or CIS?
    11) Are the military police something to be afraid of? Do they go poking around in places they shouldn't? Are they generally well liked?
    12) Would you get completely torn apart by JNCOS + for something small like not having your barrack jacket on or wearing the wrong clothing ?
    13) In relation to promotions at enlisted level, Are you more or less guaranteed a promotion to Cpl for example, if you reach 8 years of service and have completed your PNCO course?
    14) Are you allowed to wear your uniform outside of the barracks? E.g, if youre coming home and you need to get some milk of a loaf or if you don't have other clothing readily available? I presume it wouldn't be a problem but I heard that there was some issue with the public safety and military clothing in light of the recent terrorist attacks and the incident where american soldiers were walking around in combats outside shannon.
    15) Are you allowed / expected to wear your formal uniform to events like weddings or whatever? Or is it at your own discretion?
    16) During training are you assigned a role (AT, fsg etc.) or are you asked what you'd like to be?
    17) Again once you pass out if you continue in infantry are you asked or assigned a certain role within a section?
    18) I was told that bayonets aren't usually issued to troops? Are you able to request to be issued with one?
    19) Is aftermarket / third party equipment (dump pouches, sidearm holsters, slings for your primary, chest rigs or plate carriers (Like the ones the ARW uses) with the irish DPM) allowed or is it at the discretion of your corp?
    20) What is the reason for having to wear 2 layers of vests? (The literal plate carrying vest and then your chest rig) Is it not more cumbersome to have multiple layers? And would it not be more logical to use the same load carrying set up as the rangers?
    21) Are you allowed to take your vest / plate carrier home to clean it or fix it or does all maintenance have to be done in the armoury?
    22) In the cookhouses, is there a stigma around the likes of 3*s becoming friends (to a certain extent) with Ncos or Officers? Or would it be acceptable to maintain a good workplace relationship with them?
    23) Is there an MOS system in place in the Defence Forces e.g In America they have 11 Bravo for infantrymen and 11 Charlie for mortar men.
    24) Would the usual punishments for messing up be mopping floors and cleaning or what would you have to do??

Some questions about peacekeeping operations.

1) Is there an actual possibility that you would be shot at / engaged in a firefight while out in Chad or the Golan Heights etc.? What would be the probability? I know theres always the "Oh well of course theres a chance you can be shot at" but what are the actual chances of it?
    2) What tasks are you give while in the camp aside from duty and when you would be on a patrol?
    3) Do you always have a weapon on your person while in the camp or base?
    4) Is the thing about 30 second showers true?

Ill add in any more questions that i think of.
    I apologise for poor grammar and any misspelled words, and also for any questions that aren't appropriate

Thank you for reading!
    Last edited by Memes; 31 December 2018, 13:26.

1) You may be asked but you’ll be sent where the DF requires you (you can of course apply for transfer later). You could be based in Donegal but you could be in Dublin for a day or 2 doing duties and then sent to the Curragh on a 10 week course
    2) As ordered so could be 0800 to 1230 one day or Monday 0700 to Friday 1730 (with no breaks)
    3) You can’t be demoted to Pte 2* depending on what you do you could be demoted to civilian (ie discharged (sacked)) and/or jailed
    4) see 1
    5) as far as I know recruit training for army/AC is exactly the same, an Airman could be a refueller, a driver, a clerk, fireman, etc etc

A Pte 2*/Airman 2* is still in training and is doing the 2-3* course - nothing else

6) Along those lines
    7) Generally on ops/exercise
    8) you go when your sent/detailed
    9) You’ll make a declaration that you have nothing in your possession that you shouldn’t have (after you’ve had a chance to check). Found with anything after that and you’ll be charged
    10) Yes on application etc
    11) their job is to prevent and investigate crime and enforce discipline
    12) depends on what stage your at, what & why you have been told and the individual NCO
    13) You have to be deemed suitable for promotion, have leadership potential, etc. PNCO course is approx 17 weeks long
    14) Varies. With regard to Shannon they didn’t have permission to be outside the airport from the Irish Government
    15) you’ll be told the occasions you can wear it when not on duty. You could wear it to a wedding if you wish afaik but everyone will be watching you so your have to be disciplined
    16) You’ll be detailed and rotated
    17) see 1
    18) You’ll be issued one when you are required to have one
    19) See 18
    20) i assume you mean body armour and battle vest? Because they neither item can do the job of the other
    21) no, in barracks
    22) so long as discipline isn’t compromised, you do what your told when your told, etc no issues (once out of training)

Some questions about peacekeeping operations.

1) anything can’t happen overseas and most of it will not be reported in the news here
    2) Varies
    3) varies
    4) If necessary

Comment

Watch both parts of this on YouTube.

This is showing you some highlights of the 17 weeks of training of a recruit troop (platoon) a few years ago in the Curragh
      Bear in mind that it doesn’t show you everything (for example where the instructors helped students with things they found individually difficult in their own time)

Comment

Mod Note : Useless comments deleted. Poster banned for being an ass.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Thank you for your replies guys, I'll definetly be adding to this list

In relation to Peacekeeping Operations Q1:

So our lads could possibly be sitting in contacts and we wouldn't know whether they have killed anyone or have been injured or killed themselves? (Obviously if a soldier was killed it would be on the news but in todays world god only knows whats being or what has been covered up)

Comment

Best piss take ever

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
              Best piss take ever
              I concur.This has to be a wind up.
              Good Effort Mate.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

30 second showers? What are you supposed to do with the extra 15 seconds?
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

If its my post you're calling a pisstake well thats one's opinion but these were just questions I couldn't find an answer to anywhere so i thought it best to ask on this forum and i did specify at the beginning that some questions would sound stupid or ridiculous etc .

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                    30 second showers? What are you supposed to do with the extra 15 seconds?
                    Wash your bits twice (or does that count as self-abuse?)
                    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                    X