Ebola Medal for Service in West Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebola Medal for Service in West Africa

It's been a while since I've seen a good anorak medal thread on here but here I go.

I noticed that the Defence Forces personnel who deployed to West Africa during the Ebola crisis were seemingly awarded British Ebola Medals for their service.

They were eventually awarded the 'International Operation Service Medal' as still awarded to personnel who deploy to the Med. The Ebola crisis was one the catalysts for the issue of this medal.

Does anyone know if they were actually awarded the medals at the British medal ceremonies they attended and if so, are they allowed to wear them?

You’d imagine that they were awarded the medals that they traveled to the U.K. to get with permission in uniform

The Irish medal for the med probably hasn’t been awarded since they went to Op Sophia as they would be entitled to an EU medal now surely?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      You’d imagine that they were awarded the medals that they traveled to the U.K. to get with permission in uniform

The Irish medal for the med probably hasn’t been awarded since they went to Op Sophia as they would be entitled to an EU medal now surely?
      Not sure. I'm sure some PDF would know.

Comment

A good friend of mine was on Op GRITROCK 1...whatever medal your medics got awarded they deserved it and probably more

It was tight going apparently.
        'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post

Correct, as part of EUNAVFOR MED OP SOPHIA, all ships companies have been awarded EU Common Security and Defence Policy Medal with OP SOPHIA clasp.

LE Niamh, LE Samuel Beckett & LE James Joyce have deployed on OP SOPHIA.

Comment

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
            Correct, as part of EUNAVFOR MED OP SOPHIA, all ships companies have been awarded EU Common Security and Defence Policy Medal with OP SOPHIA clasp.

LE Niamh, LE Samuel Beckett & LE James Joyce have deployed on OP SOPHIA.
            So a sailor going on two separate patrols could get both medals I assume for before and after SOPHIA. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
              So a sailor going on two separate patrols could get both medals I assume for before and after SOPHIA. Interesting.
              Same could have happened with Kosovo (NATO - EU) or Chad (EU - UN), there’s probably others

Comment

Gardai going to Bosnia came home with a number of medals for one mission. Start with UNMIBH, finish with EUPM
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                  Gardai going to Bosnia came home with a number of medals for one mission. Start with UNMIBH, finish with EUPM
                  and a bigger pay packet id say than soldiers..

Comment

Lads to put this to bed the norm is one mission medal per tour.Chad being a key example where the troops on the final EU mission did not receive the EU medal but received the UN medal instead when the mission changed "ownership" mid tour.
                    Also I know lads who deployed with the Tpt Coy in KFOR who received the NATO article 5 medal and who went back on Inf Coy tours and received the non article 5 medal.
                    DF pers deployed on OP Gritrock were presented the UK Mission medal at ceremonies in the UK with the units they deployed with.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I know personally of an individual who received the nato medal for ISAF and Resalute Support Mission medal as mission changed and trip was extended so said individual met the duration requirements for both medals!

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                        Lads to put this to bed the norm is one mission medal per tour.Chad being a key example where the troops on the final EU mission did not receive the EU medal but received the UN medal instead when the mission changed "ownership" mid tour.
                        Also I know lads who deployed with the Tpt Coy in KFOR who received the NATO article 5 medal and who went back on Inf Coy tours and received the non article 5 medal.
                        DF pers deployed on OP Gritrock were presented the UK Mission medal at ceremonies in the UK with the units they deployed with.
                        Ah but before it's case closed; could they wear said UK medal?

Comment

Ah but before it's case closed; could they wear said UK medal?
                          Only on the occasion of it's being awarded as far as I recall.
                          I will double check A9 but it's not often I am wrong on dress regs
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                          X