Alternative commissioning source question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative commissioning source question

Throwing a question out to the community here but it's something I've always wondered.

Everyone here knows all about the usual DF commissioning sources but it is common worldwide for nations to send their officers elsewhere for officer training. Just look at the Maltese cadets in the cadet school.

I'm sure it's highly unlikely that Irish officers have commissioned out of a British source (unless the NS sent someone to BRNC?). I'm more think the US service academies as they take on a large number of foreign cadets from all over the world every year.

My question relates to a complete or near complete commissioning course elsewhere. Not an short exchange or post commissioning course with the RN like the NS used to do.

As a follow up question, does (or has) the DF recognise a commission from any other country followed by service in that countries armed forces as being acceptable to give a commission in the DF?

E.g. could a captain from the Canadian army (for example) apply for direct entry into the Irish army?
    Last edited by Flamingo; 6 April 2019, 19:16.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

The last person the DF sent abroad for basic training went to Sandhurst. He never came back to the DF, spent a few years in the British Army then became a HR manager for Aldi.

We do not recognise direct entries from.other militaries but we do have someone that was previously a cadet in the Pakistan Army

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
        The last person the DF sent abroad for basic training went to Sandhurst. He never came back to the DF, spent a few years in the British Army then became a HR manager for Aldi.

We do not recognise direct entries from.other militaries but we do have someone that was previously a cadet in the Pakistan Army
        What brought him to Sandhurst anyway? I'm assuming he spent some time in the cadet school before being sent? Sounds like an interesting story.

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
          What brought him to Sandhurst anyway? I'm assuming he spent some time in the cadet school before being sent? Sounds like an interesting story.
          Don’t know if he spent any significant time in the DFTC

The DF sent him to Sandhurst, as far as I’m aware he is the only one that completed his cadetship outside Ireland.

Apart from Maltese, the Cadet School trained a few (2 I think) classes of Zambian cadets.

Small numbers of officers of various ranks are sent on promotional courses in the U.K., Germany, France, USA, etc
          Last edited by DeV; 6 April 2019, 22:52.

Comment

As far as I remember the guys father was a Officer here.

Comment

Must have made for a few interesting conversations here and across the Irish sea. If he finished up in Aldi, it can't have been that long ago.

The opportunities of the British Army must have seemed hard to resist after getting a taste. I'm not surprised that nobody has been sent back since!

Comment

If memory serves he went through Sandhurst in the early 00s

Comment

He won some award in Sandhurst (best caset of similar) and his picture was in An Cosantoir. But he probably got offered far better opportunities in the British Army.

Comment

There should have been a non-poaching clause in the contract with Sandhurst when they sent him over.

Comment

You'd imagine contract or no contract, it would have been bad for relations to allow commissioning into the BA. The DF even sending a cadet to Sandhurst would have been a big deal surely considering our mutual history.

If I was to guess, I'd say the cadet played hardball and took a line that he was going to commission into the BA or not commission at all? Anyone know what regiment he commissioned into? He must have had his choice if he won an award? He surely didn't jump the wall into the BA to commission into the AGC

Page six. Only article I could find similar.
                      Last edited by Auldsod; 9 April 2019, 16:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                        You'd imagine contract or no contract, it would have been bad for relations to allow commissioning into the BA. The DF even sending a cadet to Sandhurst would have been a big deal surely considering our mutual history.

If I was to guess, I'd say the cadet played hardball and took a line that he was going to commission into the BA or not commission at all? Anyone know what regiment he commissioned into? He must have had his choice if he won an award? He surely didn't jump the wall into the BA to commission into the AGC

Page six. Only article I could find similar.
                        The isn’t the person we are talking about, the person in that pick joined the British Army and went to Sandhurst

The person we are talking about joined the DF, the DF sent he to Sandhurst as a serving member and he subsequently joined the British Army
                        Last edited by DeV; 9 April 2019, 16:33.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          The isn’t the person we are talking about, the person in that pick joined the British Army and went to Sandhurst

The person we are talking about joined the DF, the DF sent he to Sandhurst as a serving member and he subsequently joined the British Army
                          Oh I know the above officer wasn't the same person. Clearly different circumstances. Just posted as something interesting I found as I researched.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                            There should have been a non-poaching clause in the contract with Sandhurst when they sent him over.
                            There probably was...but so many ways out of it.

Comment

Working...
                            X