Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    C/S Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Alternative commissioning source question

    Throwing a question out to the community here but it's something I've always wondered.

    Everyone here knows all about the usual DF commissioning sources but it is common worldwide for nations to send their officers elsewhere for officer training. Just look at the Maltese cadets in the cadet school.

    I'm sure it's highly unlikely that Irish officers have commissioned out of a British source (unless the NS sent someone to BRNC?). I'm more think the US service academies as they take on a large number of foreign cadets from all over the world every year.

    My question relates to a complete or near complete commissioning course elsewhere. Not an short exchange or post commissioning course with the RN like the NS used to do.

  2. Likes Flamingo liked this post
  3. #2
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    3,609
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a follow up question, does (or has) the DF recognise a commission from any other country followed by service in that countries armed forces as being acceptable to give a commission in the DF?

    E.g. could a captain from the Canadian army (for example) apply for direct entry into the Irish army?
    Last edited by Flamingo; 6th April 2019 at 18:16.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  4. #3
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    234
    Post Thanks / Like
    The last person the DF sent abroad for basic training went to Sandhurst. He never came back to the DF, spent a few years in the British Army then became a HR manager for Aldi.

    We do not recognise direct entries from.other militaries but we do have someone that was previously a cadet in the Pakistan Army

  5. Thanks EUFighter, DeV, Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo liked this post
  6. #4
    C/S Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    The last person the DF sent abroad for basic training went to Sandhurst. He never came back to the DF, spent a few years in the British Army then became a HR manager for Aldi.

    We do not recognise direct entries from.other militaries but we do have someone that was previously a cadet in the Pakistan Army
    What brought him to Sandhurst anyway? I'm assuming he spent some time in the cadet school before being sent? Sounds like an interesting story.

  7. #5
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,777
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    What brought him to Sandhurst anyway? I'm assuming he spent some time in the cadet school before being sent? Sounds like an interesting story.
    Don’t know if he spent any significant time in the DFTC

    The DF sent him to Sandhurst, as far as I’m aware he is the only one that completed his cadetship outside Ireland.

    Apart from Maltese, the Cadet School trained a few (2 I think) classes of Zambian cadets.

    Small numbers of officers of various ranks are sent on promotional courses in the U.K., Germany, France, USA, etc
    Last edited by DeV; 6th April 2019 at 21:52.

  8. Thanks Flamingo, Shaqra thanked for this post
  9. #6
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,805
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I remember the guys father was a Officer here.

  10. #7
    C/S Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Must have made for a few interesting conversations here and across the Irish sea. If he finished up in Aldi, it can't have been that long ago.

    The opportunities of the British Army must have seemed hard to resist after getting a taste. I'm not surprised that nobody has been sent back since!

  11. #8
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,777
    Post Thanks / Like
    If memory serves he went through Sandhurst in the early 00s

  12. #9
    Recruit Poiuyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like
    He won some award in Sandhurst (best caset of similar) and his picture was in An Cosantoir. But he probably got offered far better opportunities in the British Army.

  13. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  14. #10
    Commander in Chief Bravo20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Smoke
    Posts
    5,201
    Post Thanks / Like
    There should have been a non-poaching clause in the contract with Sandhurst when they sent him over.

  15. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
  16. #11
    C/S Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'd imagine contract or no contract, it would have been bad for relations to allow commissioning into the BA. The DF even sending a cadet to Sandhurst would have been a big deal surely considering our mutual history.

    If I was to guess, I'd say the cadet played hardball and took a line that he was going to commission into the BA or not commission at all? Anyone know what regiment he commissioned into? He must have had his choice if he won an award? He surely didn't jump the wall into the BA to commission into the AGC

    https://www.dfmagazine.ie/dfmag_pdfs...2_Feb_2007.pdf

    Page six. Only article I could find similar.
    Last edited by Auldsod; 9th April 2019 at 15:21.

  17. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
  18. #12
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,777
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    You'd imagine contract or no contract, it would have been bad for relations to allow commissioning into the BA. The DF even sending a cadet to Sandhurst would have been a big deal surely considering our mutual history.

    If I was to guess, I'd say the cadet played hardball and took a line that he was going to commission into the BA or not commission at all? Anyone know what regiment he commissioned into? He must have had his choice if he won an award? He surely didn't jump the wall into the BA to commission into the AGC

    https://www.dfmagazine.ie/dfmag_pdfs...2_Feb_2007.pdf

    Page six. Only article I could find similar.
    The isn’t the person we are talking about, the person in that pick joined the British Army and went to Sandhurst


    The person we are talking about joined the DF, the DF sent he to Sandhurst as a serving member and he subsequently joined the British Army
    Last edited by DeV; 9th April 2019 at 15:33.

  19. #13
    C/S Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    The isn’t the person we are talking about, the person in that pick joined the British Army and went to Sandhurst


    The person we are talking about joined the DF, the DF sent he to Sandhurst as a serving member and he subsequently joined the British Army
    Oh I know the above officer wasn't the same person. Clearly different circumstances. Just posted as something interesting I found as I researched.

  20. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  21. #14
    Recruit Poiuyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20 View Post
    There should have been a non-poaching clause in the contract with Sandhurst when they sent him over.
    There probably was...but so many ways out of it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •