First Irish Revenue Cutter-First Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Irish Revenue Cutter-First Photos

The following article was published in the March/April edition of AONTAS the magazine of the Civil and Public Services Union.

New Revenue Patrol Vessel

An 18m Cutter Class Revenue Patrol vessel is currently under construction in Finland and is expected to be delivered to the Revenue Maritime Unit (RMU) based is Cork in May or June of this year. The RMU (Cutter) has quarters for up to eight staff, is capable of long range patrolling and will have a national remit.

The RMU (Cutter) is seen by the Revenue as a significant enhancement to their enforcement capability and a major increase in the commitment of resources by the office in the fight against illegal trafficking of drugs and contraband goods.

Training will be provided at the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources in Castletownbere in Cork.

My knowledge of matters Naval is sadly lacking but I wonder if this development has implications for the Naval Service ?

not when u look at its skipper

Comment

Wasn't the garda Boat also Built in Finland? Though Targa's largest is 12m I think...

Seaworthy by design. Luxurious in detail. Targa is the pinnacle of offshore boating – renowned for its unparalleled quality and handling.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Apparently it is being built by Tyovene OY in Finland.

Työvene is a Finnish shipbuilding company with extensive experience and high ambitions. We aim to become the Nordic leader within advanced marine projects.

Comment

No the "Colm na Cora" (Garda Boat) was built or at least made operational by Wessex Marine in the UK. Anyone have any pics of the new vessel, info on it's livery, armaments, power etc. And could anyone tell me if the RMU's are armed?

Comment

Garda boat is a Targa,wessex marine are the agents in the British isles visit their website at www.wessexmarine.co.uk where you will see
            We are proud of our long-established role as sole distributor of the Targa range for the UK, Ireland and the Channel Islands
            ....why o why do you feel the need to correct me when it is well known that in these matters I am never wrong?

Just like saying"my Fiat is not italian..it was built at the Mad Cow roundabout"

The only details we have on the revenue boat is what speculation you see here,though it is worth mentioning that the second HM Customs boat is fitted with a machine gun mounted forward of the bridge.
            Going by the info we have so far,I imagine it'll look something like this.

By the way,this is the current HM Customs cutter which would have a similar role to our Revenue craft.

Comment

I know but I was only slightly wrong. The Finnish plant probably made a non-descript Targa 45, Wessex marine put on the go faster stripes and bells and whistles etc.
              Your FIAT was made at the mad cow roundabout....strange??, are you sure it wasn't made in Italy.
              You never answered my final question, are the RMU's armed or can you say?

Comment

I know but I was only slightly wrong.
                There's a big difference between who sells the boat & who makes it.
                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Why do the revenue services operate their own fleet. would it not be better for the navy to do it and for it to be tasked on revenue missions. This might reduce some of the duplicity involved. A similiaar situation would the air corps flying the Garda planes
                  There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

Why weren't the DF used in drugs haul?

Hello all,
                    Just to throw a spanner in the works here, something thats been buggin me for ages. Does anyone remember reading in Magill & the Phoenix about the famous 120 million punts drug haul in Kildare (I think!)? Well remember the way the Gardai made it to look like they stumbled upon it etc, when the real story emerged later that they had rented a trawler in Cobh and impersonated drug criminals at a mid-ocean rendevous with a fairly large ocean going vessel (a tug or transport?) before transporting it themselves in the supposed 'find' location. Well what really pisses me of is that from what I can remember basically only one guy was nicked for this and he was only a mule caught at the find, everyone else got off. Why the hell did the Gardai not just go through with the transfer of drugs to the trawler and then use Defence Forces assets to take the dam ship? It bugs me that the Gardai (including Noel Conroy - I think) could go to all that trouble and risk their lives in such a way when it would have been easy to use the AC to keep the ship under surveillence, the Navy to stop/sink the ship & if needs be the ARW to put the boot in and board the ship. I mean I know sea boardings are dangerous and the guys onboard were well armed but they could hardly mess with a NS big gun. It seems that a round of backslapping was more important than getting to the bottom of the truth.

-Barndoor

(P.S If the Irish Media / Irish Politicians were any feckin good this question would have been answered long ago)

Comment

There is a "Turf War" that goes on with Drug enforcement in this state,and a reluctance to combine assets. The Naval service do it,The Gardai do it,and the Customs National Drugs team do it. The imminent delivery of a Patrol vessel to the Revenue service(Customs) means that they will be "competing" inshore with the NS.
                      It would be more sensible to combine efforts,towards a larger goal....

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                        There is a "Turf War" that goes on with Drug enforcement in this state,and a reluctance to combine assets. The Naval service do it,The Gardai do it,and the Customs National Drugs team do it. The imminent delivery of a Patrol vessel to the Revenue service(Customs) means that they will be "competing" inshore with the NS.
                        It would be more sensible to combine efforts,towards a larger goal....
                        Surely GF your not advocating, intelligence,planning, and foresight, in a government agency are you??

Comment

I Know..I'm sorry..what was I thinking..I wont do it again I promise.

Comment

Why are the Revenue Comissioners going to all the trouble to select this boat,and train suitable crews etc, when the expertise already exists within the Naval service? Would the NS not be better able to operate and support this craft,given that it will spend most of its time in the waters of the Cork coastline anyway?
                            Why not let the NS get 10 similar craft,with a Revenue officer onboard if required?

Seems pointless that we currently have 4 seperate Government bodies doing the same job.
                            Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

WHERE IS THIS GARDA BOAT USED AND DOES ANYONE HAVE PHOTO OF BOAT{GARDA} ON THE SHANNON?

Comment

Working...
                              X