Life in the Naval Service.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life in the Naval Service.

Ok lads, i would realy appricate some help on these topics. Some backround first. I got to the final round of the cadetship last year but failed the medical.( I was assured it wouldnt be a problem this year as the ailment is healed) This year I applied again and I was kept for nearly an hour at my interview(which has to be good!) I applied for both engineering and exutive branches but the interview board pushed me to chose between the two.
    So my question is whats the difference? What roles do they have? Whats a typical day like? and Whats life like for a Naval Officer?

Thanks in advance

The executive branch get to break the ships...the engineers have to fix them!:D
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Better promotion prospects in Executive branch,and they get to see more daylight too..
      It depends why you want to be a naval officer really. What do you want to do?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

If you've got the IQ of a Gnat's B0110ck but bourne of high society, can handle your G+T without turning into a social Hand Grenade, and speake with a mouthfull of marbles then the ExecBranch is for you. On the other hand if your IQ is akin to Einstien, Would be an embarrasment at a Wardroom cock and @rse party, also if you talk rougher than a badger's @rse, and like using Hammers to fix ANYTHING. Then go for the Engineering mob - Thats how it used to work in the RN anyway.:D

Comment

I like the mans style...such a turn of phrase ....evidently has much expierience on the subject.

the Flag may change but the qualifications remain the same !

After all our shower did learn it from the RN at that fine gentlemens finishing school at dartmouth....International sub lieutenants course....taking the cream of society and turning them in to arseholes!
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Executive Branch career progression: (Roughly)
            Cadet : 2 years
            Ensign: 2 Years : Typically At sea as an OUT (Officer under training) and or some short courses and a Gunnery course
            Subbies course in Dartmouth
            Back to sea for 2 years, first appointment as Gunnery officer (Conditional upon having passed Watchkeeping cert)

2 years ashore; some courses and some sort of shore appointment.
            2 years back at sea
            2 years ashore
            2 years at sea
            2 years ashore
            and so on.
            the 2 years ashore can be filled with foreign service like kosovo or wherever.
            Ideally every second time you return to sea you are promoted and each time have a different appointment in the following order
            Gunnery, Fisheries, Navigation, Executive Officer (2 ic), Ships captain.
            No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
            No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

Not thats its relevent,but I recently saw a female Naval Officer attached to a particularly Army unit (Ordnance). I can only assume she had an Engineering background.
              She had us all confused in the barracks,as they are not used to seeing black berets with gold braid up there...

Comment

well lads that all sounds good. "vice admiral", thats exactly what i wanted to find out. what about career progression for a engineering officer. also i want to get myself a degree! where do the 4 years doing a B.Sc in NUIG come in?

Comment

P.S. I got through to the next round of the cadetship competition. Its in Newbridge of all places. Not very convienient if you have to be in Newbridge at 08.30 when your from galway. Anyway the question is theres a brand new aspect to the tests this year; something to do with group skills. Has anyone any details?

Comment

Does that means you can expect promotion every 4 years?

Comment

I hear it is similiar to the RCB (Regular Commission Board) the Brits do, leadership & team work tasks etc.

Comment

Dont be shy DeV. My test is on Monday. Have you any more info? Links or anything?

Comment

Don't really know much about it, exactly what my previous post says.

Comment

Anyway thaty went fine. Have the final interview and medical in Haulbowline soon.
                            Any tips?

Comment

I dont mean to sound simplistic,but do you know how to get there? Do your instructions specify the boat transport or the main gate from the Ringaskiddy side?

As for Engineering Cadets,in the past they done year 2 of the cadetship in either CIT (or NUIG,)as a cadet and completing the remaining years as an ensign,expecting to graduate and be promoted to sub Lt simultaniously Those who were less than successful in the academic side of things were often given the option to take up an appointment in an army unit.

My advice to you is if you want to go to sea,select Executive Branch. If you want to be an engineer,select engineering. Down the road,both appointments provide many shore opportunities,both inside and outside the Naval service.

Sadly we do not have any proper NS officers here to give you advice on the process. (No offence VA)

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X