What Utility Helicopter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Utility Helicopter

As mentioned elsewhere, the IMO panel of experts have met,and have come up with a list of aircraft that may fit the criteria for selection as the FOUR TWIN ENGINE UTILITY MILITARY HELICOPTERS (With an option for Two additional Utility Military Helicopters)
    Again the list was small,as the specifics of the tender rule out many of the common types. We have not included Russian makes as some of us consider the DF are trying to become compatable with other NATO/EU military forces.

Eurocopter AS565

GKN Westland Lynx

Sikorsky Blackhawk
    Eurocopter AS565(we know,but it fits the specs)
    10.20%
    GKN Westland Lynx
    8.16%
    Sikorsky Blackhawk
    73.47%
    Other type
    8.16%

The poll is expired.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

The Blackhawk, this is less a vote, .......more a prayer really.:D
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Blackhawk...
      Most proven in my humble opinion.
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Eurocopter- worlds largest helicopter supplier, EADS partner, Europe based manufacturing facilities.They make sense as supplier.I'm going to knock together some information on how the Dauphin/Panther is actually a good helicopter to try to make people feel a little less hostile towards them.

{Mod: Post moved to correct thread....}
        Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

I`m going to have to go with the AB139. Before anyone rips my head off for recommending a civilian aircraft, its already been chosen by the USCG and it more than fits the specs.Also as a package with the A109, which is a good LUH and already in military use, I think it would be the best choice.
          Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

i now think the blackhawk is the only option as the tender is solely aimed at the arw (only spec-ops varient of course).

Comment

The spec ops varient of the blawkhawk is even more expensive than the average blackhawk so the cost of may exceed the tenders limit.
              Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

Its a useless piece of junk.The skinys proved that!
                for more on christy moore. www.liambyrne.com great performance. City 10-0 UTD

'I have heard him of the Ireland he wished to see. When he struck the spark on the anvil, he struck the anvil in my heart. When I leave school, the only pursuit I want to engage in is the winning of the freedom of my country'.

Comment

Not the choppers fault, their slow moving use within range of RPGs and 7.62 AK 47's is questionable though.

The "skinnies?" proved that armed with an RPG and presented with a large low-hovering target, that even an untrained civvie can actually hit something :D
                  "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

The only army co op helicopter of anyworth is the H-60 the rest are too small for modern roles other than observation.
                    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by futurepilot
                      I`m going to have to go with the AB139. Before anyone rips my head off for recommending a civilian aircraft, its already been chosen by the USCG and it more than fits the specs.Also as a package with the A109, which is a good LUH and already in military use, I think it would be the best choice.
                      We considered the inclusion of this but it is not considered a Military helicopter by its manufacturers,unlike all the other types we selected for both polls. Also it is not as widely used and has not yet entered full successful service with the USCG. Remember we followed them with the Dauphin(even though the USCG variant was simpler it had similar poor success). If had more military customers,I would be inclined to rate it higher.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I'm not sure you can use the USCG's use of the Dauphin as a selling point. The Dauphin plays a more search and rescue role and I'd think is lighter and more maneuvarable. However, it probably cannot carry as much weight. The Blackhawk is of a dropoff/pickup function and is more suitable for Army operations.
                        "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Well defintely not the Eurocopter AS565 cos its a peice of sh1t. It has to be the Blackhawk since its the (seemingly) best heli for the job

Comment

i now think the blackhawk is the only option as the tender is solely aimed at the arw (only spec-ops varient of course).
                            What gives you that impression?
                            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

How many troops can each of these hold?

Blackhawk 11 troops
                              Panther 8-10 commandos
                              Lynx 9-10 troops

But are these figures WITH CEFO (WEBBING) ?
                              Last edited by DeV; 22 June 2004, 18:10.

Comment

Working...
                              X