Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peacekeepers' killers may never be caught

The Star
    Most people probaby won't have seen it, so here is a story that may be of interest.

Peacekeepers' killers may never be caught - Defence Minister tells Dail

Michael O'Toole
    Crime Correspondent
    THE MURDERERS of two Irish peacekeepers will probably never face justice because of two legal loopholes, it emerged last night.
    Defence Minister Michael Smith has told the Dail it will be difficult to prosecute the killers of Privates Derek Smallhorne and Thomas Barrett – even though authorities have identified a prime suspect.
    “Building a prima facie case at this remove is likely to prove difficult,” the Minister said in an answer to questions from labour leader Pat Rabbitte.
    No-one has ever been brought to justice for the brutal murder of the two soldiers, who were abducted and shot two days after the infamous battle of At-Tiri in Lebanon in April 1980.
    There, the pro-Israeli SLA moved in to the Muslim village and wanted to ethnically cleanse it, but they were met by Irish defenders who simply would not let this happen.
    It was the start of a week-long battle – involving hundreds of men on each side – in which an undisclosed number of SLA members were killed.
    One Irish soldier, Private Stephen Griffin, was killed in the battle, in which the Irish detachment fired dozens of shells from armoured cars at the opposition.
    But after the battle, the SLA took bloody revenge on the Irish unit when they abducted and later murdered the two soldiers.
    Nothing more was heard of their killings until late 1999, when an RTE crew tracked down the prime suspect for the killings, Mohammed Bazi.
    He is a naturalised US citizen and is living the US Mid-West – but there is no sign of him being extradited to Ireland for a trial.
    Minister Smith told the Dail that there are two legal blocks to the killers being brought to justice.
    The first is that foreigners cannot be tried in Ireland for crimes committee abroad – Bazi will have to stand trial in Lebanon.
    The second block is that a special international law, set up to allow killers of UN personnel to face justice, only came into force in 1999 – and no crimes committed before that date are covered.
    “The government will continue to explore such avenues as may be open to it to seek justice in this tragic case,” Mr Smith said.
    But the Labour Party has said it wants the government to do more to bring the killers to justice.
    “We are disappointed that the government has not pursued this matter more strongly with the US authorities,” a spokesman told The Star.
    www.twitter.com/mickthehack

They could take a leaf out of the Israeli book and deal with it the way they do....

Comment

I Think Bazi is a US Citizen now.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dublinmick
        He is a naturalised US citizen and is living the US Mid-West
        Detroit, I think, driving an ice cream van.

Originally posted by Goldie fish
        I Think Bazi is a US Citizen now.
        "If you fund a terrorist or harbour a terrorist, you're a terrorist." Guess who said that?

Comment

We could send strummer up to knock him off!:D
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by John

"If you fund a terrorist or harbour a terrorist, you're a terrorist." Guess who said that? [/B]
            Arnie Schwarzenegger? In predator right before he says "Choo must make it too de choppah" :D

seriously though the US state dept should really do something about this scumbag. The fact that his group was supported by Israel makes him no less a terrorist POS.
            When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
            All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

seriously though the US state dept should really do something about this scumbag.
              I think that shd be the FBI?????
              "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Does it seriously matter who does the job as long as it get's done

Comment

Yes, it does actually....The DoS and CIA should not be mounting operations against US citizens on US soil.

Roger Mellie

Comment

SLA were supported by Israel. So our man would not be an arab,and therefor not a target of the current admistration.
                    If he was a Hezb'allah or PLO soldier however..you can be sure they would have nailed him long ago.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I may be wrong (read probably) but if the lebanese govt wanted him on trial shouldnt the state dept be he responsible party to extradite him to lebanon?
                      When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
                      All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

I suppose it's complicated because we had two Irish victims, a crime committed in lebanon and a suspect from lebanon who is now a naturalised US citizen. Bit of a headwrecker, actually.
                        If the alleged killer was Irish, he could be tried in Ireland.
                        If the crime took place in Ireland he could also be tried here.
                        Really, I suppose, the Lebanese should try to extradite him. What chance that?
                        www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

Dumb post is gone, sorry for the crap
                          Last edited by Guest; 30 June 2004, 01:53.

Comment

He's not saying that at all you idiot, he is merely stating that the agency ex-pat named was not allowed to take action against US citizens on US soil. I think you'll find that this is a legal bar, that's why he mentioned the FBI.

He was using this to illustrate his point, namely that is does matter which agency would handle the case.
                            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

ExPat: pretty sure it wd be FBI - DoS (Thank God) does not have law enforcement role.

If he was a Hezb'allah or PLO soldier however..you can be sure they would have nailed him long ago.
                              Really, Goldie?? How can you be so sure???? Or is this just giving free rein to your prejudices?.....why are US agencies getting criticized here when Irish authorities don't seem to be doing a whole lot about it?

Given the incompetence of much US bureaucracy (Moussaroui anyone??), I wouldn't be so confident that he'd be nabbed irrespective of his affiliations.

The PLO doesn't have soldiers, merely terrorists....

F Moloy: Tango Yankee....I really didn't think anyone could have interpreted my posts to give the impression MN took....

Roger Mellie

Comment

Working...
                              X