No announcement yet.

Army Motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did the hats get new Service Dress?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
      When did the hats get new Service Dress?
      Exactly! It seems to be motorcycle specific, probably designed so the protective armour can be worn underneath.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        I just put down a deposit on an ex 2 Cav Deauville. 98D reg, of course, only 14000km on the clock, and as spotless as a second hand bike can be without a major respray.

Under €3000.
        Starting to use it to commute now that the winter seems to have ended...

Comment

• Have you a pic of the new Cav bike No 1's Goldie

they look smart ( the uniform I would never ever say that about the Cav)
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Starting to use it to commute now that the winter seems to have ended...

Sweet bike Goldie. Can't wait to get mine!
            Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

• Those ex 2 Cav bikes are a great buy. Very low mileage and very well maintained. One of the bikes i rode during the DR course (2007) was a 1998 bike with 10,000 km on the clock. Try getting one a well sorted bike with mileage that low on civvie street!

Comment

• I just broke 15000km on mine last week.

Who did you buy to be let out on a DV? Best we got for the test in Brugha was a few GT550s and a Bandit...with blue lights..

Comment

• Yeah i started on a GT550. Great bike apart from the bald tyres, no brakes, leaking suspension and occassionally running on 3 cylinders! When they got boarded the only alternative was a Deauville. I was told not to crash them under penalty of death. Seriously.

Comment

• My GT wouldn't find Neutral if the engine was warm. Its a common problem with old shaft drives.
                    I was sitting at lights, clutch in, tester insisting that I went to neutral. Took a bit of convincing, he even tried kicking it into neutral from his bike.
                    To please him I switched off the ignition, found neutral, and restarted....

Comment

My GT wouldn't find Neutral if the engine was warm. Its a common problem with old shaft drives.
                      I was sitting at lights, clutch in, tester insisting that I went to neutral. Took a bit of convincing, he even tried kicking it into neutral from his bike.
                      To please him I switched off the ignition, found neutral, and restarted....
                      I actually seen a guy in town today on an old GT having exactly the same problem. He did not look amused!!
                      Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

• If you aren't used to it it is a pain. Luckily I owned a GT myself for many years.
                        I was surprised to see there is still a few Garda models about. I think they stuck with the GT till 2001.

Comment

• Saw a fully kitted out Garda Gt550 outside Redzone motorcycles in Kimmage beside Garda Deauvilles and the new FJR1300s. Looked the business i have to say. Goldie did you have the (dis)pleasure of riding the PA's Bandit?

That thing was an experience and a half with a heavy box on one side and empty box on the other. Oh the speed wobble!

Comment

• It seems Alias Tom got the contract to kit out the Garda and Army Bikers.
                            I jest not.

Comment

• Nice lineup of the old Yamahas there, Mostly used by MPs at that stage. I wonder if all the GT550s are retired yet?
                              I know of a unit who only Boarded theirs very recently... and it was not in bad condition for its type either.

Comment

• Yeah some of them we re in pretty good condition when they were boarded. Its a testemant to the LSB workshops looking after them when they were in service. Ive noticed a few army blue GT's around the place in private hands.

Comment

Working...
                                X