Land Rover Discovery
    4.82%
    Toyota Land Cruiser
    15.06%
    IZUSU Trooper
    3.61%
    Mitsubishi L200
    1.20%
    other commercially available 4x4(give details)
    2.41%
    other military specifation 4x4(give details)
    7.83%
    Last edited by Goldie fish; 13 October 2009, 19:15.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

I'd pick the Volkswagen G-class it is a generation ahead of land rover and it comes in a very wide range of varient's
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

MN, Do you mean the Mercedes G-Class (formerly G-Wagen)?

Don't mean to nit-pick but....

IAS

Comment

G-Wagen is an excellent machine, built by hand (like the defender) in austria (max 15 a day). Parts are very expensive and service intervals are a bit too close together. Sold in US and German markets, it retails for $77,000 in the US. You could get 2 defenders for that. Not squaddie proof enough.

Anyway new Defender is due out in 2008.

Comment

Well I'm sorry as punishment I'll smash my head into the keyboard iutuighufyikjuh/lojwjhuf theeeree youuuuuu goooooooooo
          Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Not at all.. Its one of the few vehicles I'd replace my defender with.. (if i had the dosh).

Comment

GF, VW and MB are not related, apart from both being from the Fartherland. MB is owned by DainlerChrysler and VW is VW.

IAS

Comment

Would the 4-wheel Pinzgauer be considered too big for the purposes of this discussion?
                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

i voted defender, but what about a humvee

Comment

the wheels would go along the top of the ditch, it would be grand biy

Comment

the older seris nissans are perfect for the job that they do and have a afr better off road capability than the new 3 litre range...when has the DF here bought anything german.....Tends to be pricey and...over technical...I wish people would stop complaining about the Nissans as they are ideal for the role they operate in.

Compare how many of these go U/S compared with the likes of the 110s and 109s and remember the improved operator condotions.

Most of the subscribers here are not old enough to remember the older land Rover products....they were slow ....underpowerd, uncomfortble ,cold, wet, noisy, unreliable and dangerous.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

My memories of Land Rover, Waiting at the side of the road for the Wrecker or the duty fitter, Cold, High Noise Level, Stench of Exhast fumes in back. The FFR Land rovers had twin petrol tanks located under the front seats, had some worrying moments about this. High MPG - Dublin to Cootehill 10 Gallons.

The Nissans were a great improvement.

DF should stick with the Nissan.

Were the MAN Diesels not made in Germany ?

Comment

Farmers seem to do fine with the Trooper so thats my vote

Comment

The landcruisers had a petrol engine and were just too fast. The bodies walked off them and the whistled in the wind....but what a powerfull machine ...could have done with a fifth gear though...When I joined the FCA my unit had two of them and I did my driving course in one of them. the 4wd need ed the diffs to be locked on the hubs..ie you had to get out to do it. The C Of G was far to high but they were far superior to the 109s and 110s of the time

The ARW used them for a while because of the speed and reliability.

Lot to be said for using comercially available vehicles and parts.
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I vote toyota, did anyone see that skit on top gear where they tried to kill one?
                              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
                              X