• Show
Clear All

• News on the tender

DoD press release

PRESS RELEASE

Evaluation of Air Corps Helicopter Tenders is Underway

The Minister for Defence, Mr. Michael Smith T. D., is pleased to announce
    that the process of evaluating the tenders received in the competition for
    light utility and utility helicopters has commenced.

The Tender Competition is for the supply of:

(i) two (2) new twin-engine light utility military helicopters which
    will be operated by the Air Corps, primarily in the military pilot/aircrew
    training role but with additional general-purpose roles.

(ii) four (4) new twin-engine utility military helicopters (with an
    option for two (2) more) which will be operated by the Air Corps in a
    general-purpose military operational and training role. These
    helicopters must have the capability to carry eight fully-equipped troops
    in addition to two crew.

Tenders were received from three vendors:
    Augusta Westland,
    Eurocopter and
    Sikorski.

An Evaluation Team made up of military and civilian personnel is currently
    examining the tenders. It is expected that the Team will complete its work
    by the end of October.

The Minister plans to place the contract for these new helicopters before
    the end of the year.
    www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Bugger.

Who are sikorski?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

They make sausages

I couldn't resist looking that up.
      Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

In light of the 3 companies bids, its looks a certain for the 4 +2 Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk .

The Minister plans to place the contract for these new helicopters before
        the end of the year
        No he wont, he will be sitting on the back benches looking on

Comment

Im confused now(nothing new although mixing medications and alcohol is brining it along nicely tonight) Bell hellicopters is not submitting a bid, or can they bid later?
          When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
          All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

It looks like the UH-1Y is definitely out.

IAS

Comment

What makes you say that?

Comment

Air Corps to get six new helicopters
                13/08/2004 - 18:02:40

The Department of Defence is to buy six new helicopters for the Air Corps in a revival of a deal which was abandoned two years ago, it emerged tonight.

A contract for four helicopters capable of carrying eight troops, as well as two lighter military helicopters, will be signed before the end of the year.

The deal, believed to be worth between €30m and €50m, was abandoned in 2002 due to budget cutbacks at the Department of Defence.

At the time, Defence Minister Michael Smith had begun final negotiations on the purchase of five helicopters with the US company Sikorksy, which had promised to provide €125m of work to safeguard jobs in the Dublin maintenance company FLS Aerospace.

Another rival bidder, Eurocopter, which had been recommended by the Department of Defence’s expert group, had begun a legal challenge in the High Court to prevent the contract being awarded.

Now both Sikorsky and Eurocopter, along with the Anglo-Italian Augusta Westland company, have sent in tenders for the new contract which is for six helicopters, with an option for two more.

The Air Corps currently has 13 helicopters, including Alouette models which are up to 40 years old.

Some of the helicopters may be sold off when the new models come into service next year.

A Department of Defence spokesman said:

“The Alouette helicopters are great because they go forever. But there’s a lot of downtime on the ground to keep them in the air. The new modern helicopters have a lot less downtime – maintenance costs money, so they’ll be cheaper to run.”

The contract will be awarded before the end of the year and the Department of Defence expects the first of the new helicopters to come into service next year.

Comment

Please God don`t be Eurocopter unless they are offering the Cougar. Sikorsky looks like the best option there unless of course AgustaWestland want to give us the NH-90 or Merlin
                  Here`s Agustawestlands heli`s: http://www.agustawestland.com/products.asp
                  Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

Examiner Know nothing. They assume this is a continuation of the MLH contract.
                    The DOD Spokesman reads a lot like something i read on irishairpics.com....

Comment

I posted an article in news, here is the link

Last edited by andy; 14 August 2004, 15:35.

Comment

Why can't I find this press release anywhere other than here? Its not on the DoD website..

Also:
                        Dear Mr. goldie fish,

In relation to the Helicopter competition I wish to inform you that no
                        details will be released until after the contract has been awarded.

Regards,

A Civil Servant,
                        Contracts Branch.
                        6th August 2004.

Names changed to protect the innocent/guilty

Comment

I cannot see how either the AB139 or EC145 can fit the criteria.

Comment

The EC-145 certainly cant as its certified as a military heli and I think , correct me if I`m wrong here, the tender states that only military heli`s will be considered.
                            As far as I can see the only reason the AB139 wouldn`t be eligible is that there are none in service with any airforces yet(although several have ordered them).
                            If Agusta are chosen we could find ourselves have 2 A109s and 4 Lynx`s.
                            Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

New helicopter fleet to cost €50m
                              Irish Independent

A ORDER worth more then €50m for six new helicopters - four of them armed and able to carry up to 32 elite Army Rangers in one lift - is to be placed before the end of the year, it emerged yesterday.

Three of the world's top helicopter manufacturers are competing for the lucrative contract with the Department of Defence for a new fleet of helicopters for the Irish Air Corps.

Four utility helicopters, each capable of being armed with two GPMG machineguns and a variety of other weapons and with the ability to carry eight soldiers each, will be bought.

They will have a primary role operating and training with Ireland's Special Forces, the Army Ranger Wing, along with other tasks. There is also an option to buy two more.

Two light utility choppers will be used mainly for training but all six helicopters will also be available for VIP transport, air ambulance and aid to the civil community.

The three firms confirmed yesterday to the Irish Independent what type of aircraft they will be offering:

* Agusta Westland: Their small A109 which has been bought by Italy, South Africa and other countries and their new larger AB 139.

* Sikorsky: The US firm will offer two versions of their famous Blackhawk helicopter. There are 2,500 Blackhawks in use with many countries, while their smaller S-76 will also be on offer.

* Eurcopter: This group will offer their EC-145 for the utility role and their smaller EC-135, already in use with the Gardai, for the light utility chopper.

The privatisation of search and rescue operations means the Air Corps is now being given more traditional military roles providing more air mobility to the army.

Defence Minister Michael Smith said yesterday that a team of military and civilian personnel which is examining the tenders is expected to complete its work by the end of October and it is hoped to place the contract for the new helicopters before the end of the year.

Don Lavery

Comment

Working...
                              X