Family Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Day

Thursday the 26th of Aug was the family day for the Irish Air Corps, and Turkey and sprogs were blagged into it.
    We were not the only ones.......
    Apart from such riviting stuff as the blessing of the fleet, there
    was a nice display of old wepons and some vintage military vehicles,the vehicles were mainly of US origin.
    The collection of old aircrafts,[apart from the current helicopter fleet ] was quite intresting and a damn sight better presented then they have been in the past.
    Not far from them was the Robot wars crowd, featuring Zulu himself, I did'ent ask if he was 'all out of bubble gum' [don't ask!]
    There were some really cool bounceing castles and inflatable slides for the kids, where the f*** were these when my generation were kids?
    The present day armys equipment was on display , most of the wepons were hands-on , Turk sprog #2 being allowed to familiarise him with such cuddley toys as the Browning .50 and the accuracy international, before going off to man a Scorpion. There were a lot of troops paitently willing to answer the usual barrage of questions. Even the PA's were frendly.
    Unfortunatly the hinted at, new ARW vehicles were not present.
    :(
    There were several air displays , but a stiff wind upset some of these , the PC-9's looked well flying a tight 3 unit program, and a very strong solo display.
    There was a parachute display from the Black Knights, and a mock combat show from the ARW, recueing the crew of a downed helicopter, the running comentary succeeded in being the worst I have ever heard. It made snooker commentators seem good.
    The free grub was acceptable, no-one seemed unhappy, and the whole event seemed well orginised, and efficently run.
    Photo's will follow when available...........................
    Last edited by Turkey; 5 September 2004, 16:43.
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Re: family day

Originally posted by Turkey
    Even the PA's were frendly.
    I got the same vibe in the Naval base last weekend....whats the story there?

By all accounts though the thinking among general staff is that the DF will get a higher public profile. These open days once a year are worth more than countless guards of honours..

I remember the Air spectacularrrrrrrr in 2000,the commentator announced another was planned for when the re-equipment programme was complete...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Yeah Air Spectacular 3000 should be a great show
      There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

Hehehe, nice one Stinger :D

Comment

Re: family day

Originally posted by Turkey

, and a mock combat show from the ARW, recueing the crew of a downed helicopter,
          Blackhawk down huh!!:D

Comment

Blackhawk down huh!!
            Or Dauphin Knackered...
            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

t'was a [the] Gazelle :D

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy
                Or Dauphin Knackered...
                My tea shot out my nose at that hahahah:D :D

Comment

Got any photos of the display turkey?

Comment

there are a few on Franks site
                    Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

Originally posted by futurepilot
                      there are a few on Franks site

Thats not what he asked,you disloyal turncoat...:o

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I only suggested it to keep him going until someone posts pictures on this site
                        Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

Hi Guys,

I've attached the picture showing the ARW coming to the rescue of the Gazelle pilots.

The full size picture can be seen here:

http://www.irishairpics.com/database/photo/1004453/

While the rest of the pictures can be seen here:

http://www.irishairpics.com/database/search.php?q=Air Corps Family Day 2004

Regards,

Frank.
                          Attached Files
                          IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation Photographs
                          http://www.irishairpics.com

Comment

ok, ok!
                            Attached Files

Comment

they seem to have allowed the public get very close?

Comment

Working...
                              X