No announcement yet.

Irish Sniper & Shooting Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What ever weapons they used fair play to both members of the teams and their trainer who represented the DF in both competions.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
    http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

canuck weapon's just browse forsniper weapon's and the new replacement sniper weapon

and I'm done
      Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

The fore-end of the spotter's rifle looks like that of an FN, but on closer inspection I don't think it is. The magazine well looks like that of an AR rifle.

In any case, why would they bring FN's for the spotters & not AI's for the snipers?
        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I believe this is the same type of rifle as in the pic, it is indeed a canadian weapon, sorry :redface:
          Attached Files
          Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

Has any1 else looked through that cnuck site, coz their army is still using the old enfield .303!!!
            The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasplug
              Has any1 else looked through that cnuck site, coz their army is still using the old enfield .303!!!
              The best rifle ever produced. Ask any old soldier in the RDF about it and you could write the criticism on the back of a postage stamp.

The British used it up to recently in 7.62mm as a sniper rifle.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Dead on balls accurate the .303, great rifle to introduce people to bolt action and sniper rifles in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf
                  Dead on balls accurate the .303, great rifle to introduce people to bolt action and sniper rifles in general.
                  Pray tell, how do you know this?

Comment

I know an awful lot of people who've fired it, and even a few who popped off rounds at Fritz with it back in the day.

Comment

army is still using the old enfield .303!!!
                      The Canadian army doesn't use the .303, it's used by the Canadian Rangers, an organisation of mostly native inuits who live way up North, and were originally intended to keep an eye out for invading commies. Each member is issued with a No.4.

Last edited by yellowjacket; 12 December 2004, 06:18.

Comment

Irsh sniper's come 2nd in sniper concentration

AREA SUPPORT UNIT GAGETOWN, New Brunswick – Snipers from around the world gathered for the 8th annual Canadian International Sniper Concentration hosted by the Infantry School at the Combat Training Centre, from September 13 to 22.

Twenty-four teams, consisting of both military and civilian law enforcement snipers from Canada, France, Latvia, the Czech Republic, Ireland, Australia, Belgium, the United States and the United Kingdom participated in a gruelling ten-day, seventeen-event exercise designed to develop sniper skills and to maintain the proficiency of Canadian Army snipers.

The teams were tested on advanced shooting techniques, communication skills, field firing, navigation, and stalking the enemy. Overall, this international event enabled teams to exchange ideas and techniques, share lessons learned and discuss new technology and equipment.

"My job is to ensure that all my team leaders set up and run challenging and realistic training," said Warrant Officer George Williams, the Canadian Army's subject matter expert on sniper training.

WO Williams was successful in judging obstacles negotiated by the competitors. Sniper teams crawled through swamps and simulated minefields, climbed a tower, slithered down a rope, and crept through a culvert, while battle-simulated explosives went off around them.

Various training aids were also used to add realism to the event – rounds from a C6 machine gun cracked overhead; smoke grenades and trip flares constantly went off in an attempt to distract the competitors; targets popped up to test the snipers' speed; and battle-simulated
                        A 4th Commando, Royal Australian Regiment sniper runs through a minefield safe lane.
                        A 4th Commando, Royal Australian Regiment sniper runs through a minefield safe lane.
                        casualties with stomach wounds were used to create real-time scenarios.

Other roles for snipers
                        When asked to comment about his role as a sniper, one Canadian soldier (identity protected for security reasons) stated that his trade has been misunderstood. "Snipers have been stereotyped for years," he said. "We are not just used to take out bad guys."

WO Williams went on to explain the other roles that snipers perform.

"Snipers can be employed in several different ways," said WO Williams. "In the front lines amongst friendly troops, as part of the attack; flank security; early warning; cut-off missions; information gathering; and calling in indirect fire."

"They do these tasks quite well," WO Williams pointed out.

And the winners are....
                        When all the targets and points were tallied, the top team overall for the second consecutive year was from the Dwyer Hill Training Centre (DHTC). The DHTC team also won the top sniper trophy.

The Ireland Defence Forces representatives took the prizes awarded to the top observer and pistol teams.

The team from the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI), captured the long-range award as well as a new award created this year – the top indirect fire team.

A soldier from the 1st Battalion, PPCLI won the Sergeant Robert Short trophy for sniper professionalism.

Article and photos by Sgt Todd Berry

this seem's so much more impressive, after reading in an Cosantoir that they were up against JTF-2 the Australian 4TH rar commando's, Belgian army sniper instructer's. French airborne, Latvian special forces, US army sniper instructer's............I'm getting a strange feeling, like I can raise my chin........oh my God, I think it's pride...............so this is what it's like...........nice :tri: :tri:

Comment

Yes I can attest to the fact that Canadian army snipers do not use the Lee Enfield nor have they used them in quite a number of years. The Inuit Rangers(Canadian Rangers) use them and are deadly shots with them. I cannot emphasize enough the deadly aspect.

Comment

i thjink i seen a documentry on the tv before where they where using the same riffles from boats to kill seals that come on shore

Comment

Not only Seals but Musk Ox, small whales, Caribou and the odd Russian that shows up unannounced.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                                The best rifle ever produced. Ask any old soldier in the RDF about it and you could write the criticism on the back of a postage stamp.

The British used it up to recently in 7.62mm as a sniper rifle.
                                We had 2 on our display last Sunday. It was amazing to see a old FCA man over 80yrs old carry out arms drill as if it was yesterday. everyone wanted to handle them.
                                it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
                                Winston churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X