Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  25
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    The DF have gone in on the OGP medical framework contract for various Government Departments and bodies.

Could include:
    Pre-employment medicals, sickness medical assessments, health surveillance, immunisations, travel vaccinations, health screening and wellbeing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Feasibility of fitting telematics to DF vehicles being looked at

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Feasibility of fitting telematics to DF vehicles being looked at
    Any more information?
    Can confirm (but say no more other than I was there) that DF were seriously looking into this 12 months ago.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Post Thanks / Like
    Stuff like average speed, average milage etc

Post Thanks / Like
    The kind of industry they will tender to is the telematics industry, telematices does a lot more than that and can make the DF vast savings on fuel and other costs plus allow them to predict services if they also take information by connecting to the vehicles EMU's.
    Harsh driving -
    harsh cornering,
    driver behaviour,
    distance travelled,
    speeding,
    fuel consumption reports etc
    can all easily be produced from this sort of data plus live tracking of vehicles and using geospatial data, alerts can be set up - if for example a vehicle deviates from a route, or drives out of or into a certain designated area, defined by a set of coordinates, even between certain times) route management to choose the most efficient route, etc. .. .. .. .. if they select the right company that is. only problem I foresee is DF allowing their data to be stored in a private companys servers, but if its just for day to day work i cant see a problem, companies like brinks etc use similiar tracking by private service providers. its a no brainer and the DF would be mad not to do it for at least their non sensitive fleet movements.
    Last edited by morpheus; 4th April 2017 at 10:34.
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    The kind of industry they will tender to is the telematics industry, telematices does a lot more than that and can make the DF vast savings on fuel and other costs plus allow them to predict services if they also take information by connecting to the vehicles EMU's.
    Harsh driving -
    harsh cornering,
    driver behaviour,
    distance travelled,
    speeding,
    fuel consumption reports etc
    can all easily be produced from this sort of data plus live tracking of vehicles and using geospatial data, alerts can be set up - if for example a vehicle deviates from a route, or drives out of or into a certain designated area, defined by a set of coordinates, even between certain times) route management to choose the most efficient route, etc. .. .. .. .. if they select the right company that is. only problem I foresee is DF allowing their data to be stored in a private companys servers, but if its just for day to day work i cant see a problem, companies like brinks etc use similiar tracking by private service providers. its a no brainer and the DF would be mad not to do it for at least their non sensitive fleet movements.
    If it's in the specs of the tender!

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    You would like to hope so but senior officers who are uneducated/ignorant of the details and nuances resort to a default No as if they were to say yes, it might get them in trouble if something happens and their chances of promotion would be affected. In this case it has been exactly that on at least two occasions when this concept was brought up

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Telemetrics would invalidate the importance of deleting the average speed thing in the pajeros!
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    @Dev, is there a link to info on this feasibility?

Post Thanks / Like
    @Dev, is there a link to info on this feasibility?

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/pu.../publictenders

Post Thanks / Like
    Baldonnel Apprentice Hostel is to be refurbished

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny thing really. Tender to monitor/ spy on drivers, usage and behaviour and thereafter to feed into long term fleet management. Just goes to should what the dod heads really think. That our Defence forces are neglecting and misusing the shite fleet of Substandard vehicles that they have.
    Last edited by ibenji; 19th June 2017 at 22:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibenji View Post
    Funny thing really. Tender to monitor/ spy on drivers, usage and behaviour and thereafter to feed into long term fleet management. Just goes to should what the dod heads really think. That our Defence forces are neglecting and misusing the shite fleet of Substandard vehicles that they have.
    I work for a telematics company, one that tendered for this contract. It improves fuel efficiency, allows forecasting of servicing and replacement of parts, allows real time tracking of vehicles, ensures that all drivers are safe and drive within the limits of both the vehicle and the law, has a driver alert system that allows an immediate alert to be sent by the driver including the vehicles location, should something go wrong or someone try to attack the vehicle / driver or steal it, there are so many plusses to having these systems monitoring your fleets.

14. Thanks na grohmití, apod thanked for this post
    Likes Truck Driver, apod liked this post
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    telematics does not improve fuel efficiency directly, only indirectly, unless I have missed something; just because there is kit in the car doesnt mean anything changes.

this is a perennial one !
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course telematics does not improve fuel efficiency on its own, its designed to give fleet managers the right tools to influence and improve driver behavior which can result in fuel savings.
    Same process saves on tyre usage, maintenance schedules and spares purchasing etc.

This is proven - when there's a buy in by fleet managers to act on the information provided by our systems and by drivers to improve their safety scores and behavior (whether coerced or voluntary)
    We not only provide a near real-time (every 9 seconds we receive a packet) GPS tracking device we also connect to engine management units and internal vehicle monitoring systems if desired.
    We allow the setup of "geofences" and "hotspots" that vehicles should or should not enter or leave - if they do, then the vehicle automatically sends their fleet manager alerts to let them know - excellent security feature. In my experience, in the private sector at least, there IS buy in by all parties, we provide league table reports for driver behaviour, usually drivers are influenced by these reports, and it not? well they usually go and find another company to drive for. So yes, this would have to be enforced, but its the military, they should have no problem re-educating drivers.

We also provide a route management module which handles the travelling salesman algorithm using everything from traffic to weather to roadworks information and finds the optimum route to take, theres a mobile component too for the drivers themselves.

Telematics is far more than just uploading your garmin to a website or google maps - its a proven tech, if it wasnt I wouldnt be working for a small irish startup company that's grown from 10 people to a US stock market listed global leader in telematics in over 10 years, that a major global corporation couldnt beat so bought us for billions instead, in the last 12 months, we are rapidly expanding in the IOT domain too.

The DF were in our head office last year too, I know as I was asked to meet with them, they seemed incredibly keen but ultimately I never heard as to why they didn't proceed with the project, they really were interested, but they put out another tender this year. There is no company in Ireland or europe or the USA that can touch us for what we provide, we are incredibly well priced, can tailor packages and modules to suit and the product has excellent support, there is no company globally that can touch us in the telematics world.

Christ I sound like the sales people that I despise!!!
    Last edited by morpheus; 20th June 2017 at 12:09.

17. Likes Tempest, apod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So yes, this would have to be enforced, but its the military, they should have no problem re-educating drivers.
    only if they provide the stick (ie charge people).

We also provide a route management module which handles the travelling salesman algorithm using everything from traffic to weather to roadworks information and finds the optimum route to take, theres a mobile component too for the drivers themselves.
    like a GPS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope not quite like a GPS - this one is used by delivery companies - "Given a list of destinations and the distances between each pair of destinations, what is the shortest possible route that visits each destination exactly once and returns to the start point" say you have 20 deliveries to make, it uses all of the available information including the addresses of each delivery to figure out the shortest most efficient route to take, including the other data such as traffic, road conditions,weather, roadworks etc. Also if the fleet manager adds another destination for you in the middle of your day, it recalculates the remaining journey you have to fit that in where it causes the least impact and deficiencies.

Its up to the defence forces, if they want fleet management and telematics, they must have a goal in mind - optimum fleet maintenance and running costs - this will work, so long as you hold drivers to account for their behaviour, its not supposed to be a stick to beat them with, its supposed to be a tool to educate them with, you want a sea change in working practices and the capacity to gather metrics and usage history to allow you to accurately forecast future needs and requirements of the fleet.

20. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would imagine the security requirements of the tender include "can a tooled up, tech savvy enemy use this against us by interception or disruption?"
    Last edited by expat01; 20th June 2017 at 15:06.

22. Thanks apod thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It wasnt for combat useage - it was for tracking the fleet domestically. boxes can be disabled at flick of a switch. also requirement wasnt to fit them to ALL vehicles. there are hundreds of softskins in the transport fleet

Post Thanks / Like
    It wasnt for combat useage - it was for tracking the fleet domestically. boxes can be disabled at flick of a switch. also requirement wasnt to fit them to ALL vehicles. there are hundreds of softskins in the transport fleet
    I think the MOWAGs were retrofitted with a HUMS type system and the LTAVs came with one.

I would suggest that this tender is most likely for the soft skin fleet as that would be where most of the milage and expense is.

It would work and is a good idea for some circumstances but not for all (in a military environment)

Post Thanks / Like
    Considering the Defence Forces fleet covered 18,300,000 km last year, even a 5% saving on fuel is going to be a substantial amount yearly, for what would be a relatively small initial investment. Coming from my own (workshop) end of things it would be nice if there was an automated system to alert us to servicing needs rather than relying on detail NCO's to keep an eye on mileage. Any system that warned them 1500km before hand, and also informed the workshop, would be a godsend
    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

26. Likes Shaqra, morpheus, TangoSierra, DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    4 x small manportable lightweight rotary wing UASs to COE (for a range of purposes - max value €200,000

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    1 Large four wheel drive Crew cab van.(Option for 2nd)
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/pu.../publictenders
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    200,000 for 4 DJI Mavik Pro's? Wtf? :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe something like the Aeryon Skyranger ?
    https://www.aeryon.com/military/tactical-operations

Thread Information