Para-Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Para-Course

I was wondering what civie para courses if any are recognised by the PDF/RDF ?. I'd like to do a parachute course but I'd rather do one which is recognised as a opposed to spending alot of money on something which is of no use apart from the fact that I've jumped out of a perfectly good aeroplane. I know that there is a course being run by the army this year but there are just too few places availble for it to be a possibility that I'd get on it.
    Any information would be appreciated.

None, you must do the df course, couldnt have a bunch of sandbags doing civie courses outnumbering the qualified pdf personnel now could we?
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Yeah, how dare the baggers pay for their own courses!
      Ah well, looks like I'll never get an ice cream cone for my uniform!

Comment

Loque, RE: Para Course

I'm told a gang of lads did a para course in Holland, at a Dutch para base. These guys subsequently were awarded Dutch para wings, which they got permission to wear on their Irish uniform. I know of a few 20 Inf Bn lads who did it, and I've seen a 7 Inf Bn Cpl wearing them too... ask the boys from these units (T.I.M, FMolloy, etc...)
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I know 2 or 3 from the 20th did it, but I haven't seen them with Dutch wings up.
          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Not supposed to wear the wings. No permission granted (plenty of posts on this issue). I think I know the NCO in the 7 Bn (and as far as I know he shouldn't be wearing them!!).

Comment

lads from the 3 bn did the same thing .went to holland to do the course. got recognition for it, but couldnt wear any flashes

also we had a guy in the bn who was ex ffl and had qualified as a para over there he spent along time trying to get permission to wear his wings but was refused
              Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

Permission was never granted, despite the dutch course being to a NATO standard. Twp RDF were on the Army para course last year and both passed. Their was talk of a course entirely for RDF in May of this year but it was cancelled with the promise that half of the course scheduled for september would go to RDF. In any case, previous parachuting experience is required for an RDF applicant, read between the lines, you need the dutch course to get on the Irish one!
                No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
                No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

I know 4 people from the 7bn who qualified on the course in 2001 2 of them are good friends of mine! They were told before they went they could wear the wings, but as soon as they got back some officer or such told them they couldn't. This issue went all the way up to DFHQ where they were told only IRISH para wings could be worn, Two of them from a certain company still wear them though!!

It was mentioned that people with previous experience would be preferable for the Jump course but all aplicants can apply. Dont just not apply because you havn't jumped before maybe the demand will convince them to run an entirely RDF course next year. I know I'll be applying.

I think California Tanker could shed some light on how this is handled in the US as he passed the Texel course aswell!

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

US policy is about as restrictive on the issue as Irish policy.

The only reason I get to wear my wings is by way of a specific exemption in the list of requirements (For those who earned foreign wings in foreign service before joining the US military).

If you are currently in the US military, the only way to go get foreign wings is to be on jump status in an American unit, and already have American wings. Even attending the foreign course if you do not meet these two criteria is not authorised.

NTM
                    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

irish wings

Here's the story lads.
                      Firstly the parachute course in the PDF is classed as a sports course and not a military one.
                      The issue of foreign wings is as follows.
                      Foreign awards (wings, medals ect) can only be worn on ceremonial uniform when the Military attache of the awarding country is present as a guest on the parade. In the case of para wings, the wings will then be worn on the opposite side to where Irish wings would be worn.
                      Secondly, the major issue with the dutch wings is this. You are not allowed wear cloth wings on an irish army uniform.
                      Now before I get a shit load of replies, I know there are guys out there wearing all sorts of badges. I've seen them.But keep in mind I've seen guys wearing ARW flashes and I know for a fact they were never near the wing

Comment

Cloth wings are acceptable to wear as it is a military qualification and therefore are acceptable on the uniform, AS LONG AS THE QUALIFICATION WAS ATTAINED IN THE IRISH DEFENCE FORCES, When the Field dress was introduced All "coloured" Badges flashes etc. were banned from the Uniform except in special circumstances, i.e. overseas unit flashes and the Tricolour. The Only badges so far that have been approved are the Para Badge and a miniature version of the Geneva Cross (Medics Badge ) All other Badges (all army marksman, sniper, CTI, Diver etc have not yet been approved.

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

How does that apply to the #1 uniform?

US regs do state that awards which are only awarded as cloth insignia may not be worn, but the Dutch wings are enamelled and so are acceptable.

NTM
                          Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

How the hell do they go about doing the Dutch Course? Is it expensive (I am assuming that you have to pay). If it is voluntary and payment is needed, I might get it for my brother as a birthday present.

Yooklid
                            Meh.

Comment

That dutch course is great fun, you get a nice condensed training package and are cinfident enough to jump after two or three days. Tonnes of sound lads there aswell from both ireland and britain. It's a bit pricey though and a bit of a waste of money if you chicken out of jumping.

Comment

Working...
                              X