Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you carry on your webbing/smock?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FMolloy
    A bloke on the 2004 (IIRC) E bde standards course picked up a nasty eye injury while moving through a forest at night.
    all the standard cse last year had safety glasses care of one of the students... even got me a set of him...

ive used them plenty since then and i can say they worked like a charm... sadily they dont stop said branches entering the nostril or mouth...
    Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

• You haven't really answered any of the questions.

You've been issued some of the equipment and "acquired" the rest. What about everyone else? Have they not being issued with basic field gear? Do they have to "acquire" some basic gear too? What does "acquire" mean? Beg? Borrow? Steal? Buy with their own money?

Do you disallow members who haven't been issued with all the required equipment from attending official exercises? If so, why aren't your unit leadership (NCO's and Officers) working on getting this equipment as a top priority?

Are you making your junior soldiers spend their own money on equipment that should be issued to them in the first placed? Forcing them to be "gear-queers" or finding another unit for themselves?

"Acquire gear or go home"....a new low for the FCA, eh?

I thought you were undertaking some sort of commissioning program. My mistake.

Later.
      No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

• You will find many members of the US armed forces (myself included) purchase non issue kit and its SOP in many units to equipped with all sorts of non issue. From Corcoran jump boots in the Airborne,Ranger/SF communities ( for ceremonial wear) to cleaning kits and gerbers. Not to mind camel backs before they were on issue.
        When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
        All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

• I have no problem with guys supplementing their issue gear with non-standard stuff. In fact i haven't come across a unit that doesn't do it. But I do have a huge problem with a chain of command that requires its soldiers to privately purchase gear when this very same stuff should be on issue.

Kermit states that a training course had a packing list of official issue gear. His unit is not issuing this equipment. So, therefore, only those who go out and buy it with their own money, or "acquire" it, get to go on the exercise. All very fine for an NCO or Officer whose been around for a while. But what about the junior enlisted?

Great way to maintain retention.!!!!

BTW, Kermit, you still haven't directly answered most of the questions. Smartass quips don't count. God help your soldiers !!!

Later.
          No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

• If we all rush out and blow what little spare cash we have, we will NEVER get into a situation where the RDF or the DOD collectively decide that there is a requirement to issue gear. They will simply leave it up to us to incur their costs as we are obviously willing to "equip" ourselves.

My latest "Acquired" equipment includes a poncho, sleeping bag, tent pegs, bunji's, insect repellent and a mosi net, and none of this was issued, i DOUBT i wouldve gotten a sleeping system or poncho, but i am as much to blame for this situation as other gear queers, its now the expected response in the RDF that your wallet issues you.

I have so far still refused to buy op boots and tell anyone that comments on the state of my parade boots that they are also my op boots.
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• A scrim net wrapped around the head and eyes gives some protection but removes some visibility.
              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Not if the branch goes straight into your eye. a net over your face to protect you is a bad idea.
                It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• Most surplus gear is quite expensive and considering that most 2/3 stars are students or in their early 20s, well buying all that gear isn't an option. I've never been issued with anything other than a uniform and that goes for most others I know so to 'acquire' any of the required gear would be out of the question short of buying it.

If you'd care to suggesst some acquiring tips though Kermit, I'm always listening.......
                  "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

• The IMO store sells ESS ICE eyewear. Ideal for errant brambles...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• And remember aquiring kit off others soldiers is not the solution, because you are then leaving him under equipped.

As has been said before someone must first die or be seriously injured before the problem is addressed.
                      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• Volunteers anyone?
                        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Originally posted by T.I.M.
                          all the standard cse last year had safety glasses care of one of the students... even got me a set of him...

ive used them plenty since then and i can say they worked like a charm... sadily they dont stop said branches entering the nostril or mouth...
                          It was 2003 then, I was doing admin on the course at the time.

As for the issue of kit, that same standard's course were issued full CEMO, helmets and sleeping systems for the duration. Things are getting better, but there's a good way to go yet.
                          Last edited by FMolloy; 9 July 2005, 02:22.
                          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus
                            I have so far still refused to buy op boots and tell anyone that comments on the state of my parade boots that they are also my op boots.

This weekend i became a "Guuci-Queer". I "accquired" a pair of Magnum Elites as an early birthday present from my better half.

As a matter of interest, on average what "should" i have expected to pay for them?
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish
                              What generation?
                              2nd at least

Comment

• Instead of webbing, we use an FFR, items to carry DC to 220V Invertor, Equip TAMs, Flask, CW Key and a 3/4 ton trailer with cooking equipment, sleeping equipment and equipment spares.

Comment

Working...
                                X