Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you carry on your webbing/smock?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Laoch
    Instead of webbing, we use an FFR, items to carry DC to 220V Invertor, Equip TAMs, Flask, CW Key and a 3/4 ton trailer with cooking equipment, sleeping equipment and equipment spares.

Wuss sigs b*stard. Stick it all in your bergen, get a boiled sweet in you and crack on.
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Originally posted by Laoch
      Instead of webbing, we use an FFR, items to carry DC to 220V Invertor, Equip TAMs, Flask, CW Key and a 3/4 ton trailer with cooking equipment, sleeping equipment and equipment spares.

REMF,REMF,REMF.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Bump... Again the list comes in handy, great stuff...
        Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Comment

• If people want it, i have a scanned PDF doc of the Ranger Kit List that appeared in connect ages ago that I can post up
          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• couldn't hurt.
            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• fire away, interesting to see how different it is to the lists printed before for sargeants courses, rdf webbing, etc.

although, bearing in mind there are always changes to these lists from time to time.
              An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Think about dividing your kit into 3 groups or lines:

1st Line - Survive and fight (Body/Smock)
                2nd Line - Fight (CEFO/Vest)
                3rd Line - Mission and Welfare

1st Line: On your body, in your pockets/ smock.
                Survival Tin
                Map (Unmarked, Waterproofed) No need for map case
                FFD x2
                Toilet paper - Mucho Important!
                Spoon (Plastic)
                Survival Blanket
                Notebook and pencils
                ID card/ Discs
                Cam cream
                Lighter/ matches

2nd Line: CEFO/ Vest/ Chest
                Ammo - Unit SOP's apply
                Food - 24 hrs emergency, metal mug, hexitabs, 2 water bottles
                Equipment - FAK, Small binos, miniflares, Wpn cleaning kit, torch, Insect rep
                toothbrush

3rd Line: Daysack/Pack
                Daysack - Mission Essential, Comms, NVE, Waterproofs, Warm Top/
                Glove/Hat
                Pack - Sleeping bag/Bivi bag/Kip mat
                Extra rations/Platypus
                Hygiene - Toothpaste, babywipes
                Spare socks

Remember keep it simple - it's easy to fill up the pack with non essential crap that you will never use, and it will weigh a ton before you add ammo, batteries, NVE, Optics etc.
                Also don't max out on the spare clothing - One pair of boots, a pair of socks will last for 3-4 days easy, same for jock and tshirts. Better still, bin the jocks and wear cycling shorts. Bin the tshirts and wear a thermal top.
                Consider bringing sandwiches for your 1st 24 hrs on the ground, means you don't have to cook or pull shit out of the pack. Strip down your ration packs and get rid of all the wrappings. Plan how many meals? How many tea bags, sugar, creamers? Put your alcohol wipes into your pack of tissues for after you have a crap - remember the fecal oral route for infection. Hexi's mean that there's no empty containers to dispose of or carry out.
                Hydrate all the time, check your piss, if it's yellow - you're dehydrated.
                Make sure all your equipment is waterproofed, on average in Europe, we hit a water obstacle every 7 K, if it gets wet, you're miserable from the start!!
                TAM's, sentry rosters, AmmoCas states are a double edged dagger. Bringing documents into the field means you run the risk of losing them (We don't do capture!), so burn and destroy once you leave a location.
                Also consider the impact a section leaves behind, waste poorly buried, cut branches, paracord left on trees, follow up by the enemy is a real possibility, don't make their job any easier.
                Hope this helps.............OSOK

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin_ie
                  If people want it, i have a scanned PDF doc of the Ranger Kit List that appeared in connect ages ago that I can post up
                  Is it the same as the one I posted two pages ago?
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• Anyone thinking about adding to this: see Fiannóglach's post above, and leave it at that. No, you don't need a pair of sox and jox for each occasion; yes your nether regions will smell like crap wrapped in a turd after a week in cycling shorts: tough, boohoo; no you don't need the 50 teabags, creamers and cappucinos that the ration pack provides you with for each day on the ground.
                    The definitive guide, end of story.

Comment

• {MOD: Moved from Are we getting overloaded thread}

I use a cheap waterbottle holder (kinda like a snug pocket) with 3 resp pouches. All I have in them is small cleaning kit, 2 x field dressing and E-Tool. The rest of the pouches are empty. I try and get away without wearing a daysack as much as possible so I use the extra pouch on the PLCE. Makes for much more manuverability and agility as well as eliminating any difficulties going prone. The only time I've used wet gear was the jacket on the C&S during the PSO. For all the tactical training I've done its been just shirt in summer, smock in winter.
                      Last edited by ZULU; 29 August 2007, 11:13.
                      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• No smock in the summer? Lucky bugger
                        "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                          On another note have any of you folk heard anything more about the issue of plce to the reserve?I believe it is due to happen after we get the iplcs.
                          It won't be an issue item. My understanding is that each Reserve Battalion will receive enough PLCE to equip a coy.This means that it will prob be issued out to each coy for pool issue.
                          Then again, it may be kept in Bn stores.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                            I use a cheap waterbottle holder (kinda like a snug pocket) with 3 resp pouches. All I have in them is small cleaning kit, 2 x field dressing and E-Tool. The rest of the pouches are empty. I try and get away without wearing a daysack as much as possible so I use the extra pouch on the PLCE. Makes for much more manuverability and agility as well as eliminating any difficulties going prone. The only time I've used wet gear was the jacket on the C&S during the PSO. For all the tactical training I've done its been just shirt in summer, smock in winter.
                            Ok i assume you are still a private cos if you were an nco you would need to wear a smock to carry your field admin.Agreed.wet suit pants are only usefull when static as they take too long to put on and you wont have the time in an adv to contact.
                            Why carry an e-tool on cefo?You dont need it to fight!Yes when consolidating but only if you are staying and digging scrapes,if so whip it out of daysack.
                            If you carry two field dressing's in cefo then i assume there is a third in the sleeve pocket of your smock?If not put one in as there is a god reason why we all carry it there.I.E so if you get hit i dont have to go rummaging through your kit to find it.You might know where it is ,but when you are going into shock i guarantee you wont be thinking clearly enough to tell me.

Btw they are not respirator pouches.They are utility pouches.The respirator haversack,which was formerly know as a large utility pouch,is the large square pouch with the waist strap.
                            Can you tell me the occasions that you do carry a daysack?Cos by the sounds of it you dont carry ANY kit to sustain yourself.Apologies if i am taking you up wrong.
                            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                              Ok i assume you are still a private cos if you were an nco you would need to wear a smock to carry your field admin.
                              Why? I have a compass, map, Stabilo pens, pencil, eraser, W/p notebook, custom TAM camo cream in shirt and trousers. What more do you want/need?

Few other items that might find their way into webbing are head torch, multitool, AAA and AA batteries, Black tape, spare socks, toilet paper.

I always carry my Bowie Knife if not given bayonet.

Good tip: 6 x large cable ties into the helmet under the cover with the clasp ends coming out by the ties. Nice and neat and out of the way yet easily reached if needed.

Might carry monocular but rarely have used it when I do. Would put in Dextros glucose tablets and a museli bar in shirt too.

All the above can be worn without a smock.

Don't usually carry e-tool but it has been used everytime with training with the Int Res.

If you carry two field dressing's in cefo then i assume there is a third in the sleeve pocket of your smock?
                              You assume correctly. Although if not wearing smock, its taped to webbing.

Btw they are not respirator pouches.They are utility pouches.The respirator haversack,which was formerly know as a large utility pouch,is the large square pouch with the waist strap.
                              Why do they have RESPIRATOR printed under the lids of them so?

Can you tell me the occasions that you do carry a daysack?
                              When I'm ordered to. Or if we're going to stop for extended time. but usually those times you have a full cemo. One rocket pouch is more than enough, if I do have to carry daysack, there might be one litre of water in it and the rest is filled with air! Different case for FIBUA though when your carrying all manner of gear.
                              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                                Why? I have a compass, map, Stabilo pens, pencil, eraser, W/p notebook, custom TAM camo cream in shirt and trousers. What more do you want/need?

Few other items that might find their way into webbing are head torch, multitool, AAA and AA batteries, Black tape, spare socks, toilet paper.

I always carry my Bowie Knife if not given bayonet.

Good tip: 6 x large cable ties into the helmet under the cover with the clasp ends coming out by the ties. Nice and neat and out of the way yet easily reached if needed.

Might carry monocular but rarely have used it when I do. Would put in Dextros glucose tablets and a museli bar in shirt too.

All the above can be worn without a smock.

Don't usually carry e-tool but it has been used everytime with training with the Int Res.

You assume correctly. Although if not wearing smock, its taped to webbing.

Why do they have RESPIRATOR printed under the lids of them so?

When I'm ordered to. Or if we're going to stop for extended time. but usually those times you have a full cemo. One rocket pouch is more than enough, if I do have to carry daysack, there might be one litre of water in it and the rest is filled with air! Different case for FIBUA though when your carrying all manner of gear.
                                I have never in all my years seen respirator printed under the lids of those pouches.on the back maybe.Reason being because when they were first bought thats what they carried.Until we realised you couldnt store a respirator with mounted canister in it.Be in time ,mask in nine.We use the large havesack now,which is what it should allways have been.

Ok,so you have all the field admin.Now can you tell me how you carry all that in two small shirt pockets?I know i cant.Issue tam 2003 takes up alot of room in a smock pocket,wont fit in a shirt.
                                I am stunned to read what you carry in your cefo.Spare socks and headtorches should be in your daysack.You wont be changing your socks in the middle of a s.i.a so therefore they arent needed in a fighting order!Same with the torch.Multitool is ok along with tape as you may need them for running repairs/jobs.Btys go in daysack.Same with food.
                                A small bag of jellies in smock pocket is ok though or gum.
                                Why a bowie knife?Are you gonna be skinning game on patrol?Lose it.I guarantee all it does is make you look like a walt.You will get more use out of your multi tool then you will ever get out that thing.If you need anything bigger you will be issued a bayonet.
                                Good trick with the cable ties,but thats been around for a few years.
                                As for only carrying one rocket or full cemo,you have obviously never done a long extended patrol in inclement weather.If all you carry is a bottle of water you would soon become a casualty of the elements and a liability to the rest of the patrol.
                                Now i havent said all this to belittle you.far from it.Just hoping to open your eyes a little.You are basing what you carry on what you have done up to now.I appreciate that.

Comment

Working...
                                X