Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you carry on your webbing/smock?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
    Nobody has mentioned Chocolate Hobnobs yet? Essential kit, in my day!
    Or Haribo Starmix AKA Morale in a Bag!

Comment

• What should you carry.....

Reading over this thread there seems to be an awful of 'just in case' kit being included as standard by many people.

Having always been the guy who brought fcuk all into the field I find this an odd development,

So, I'm raising the question, what are the items of kit that you really really need and would be simply up shit creek and paddleless without,

Lets assume for arguments sake you're making up your loadout to go off to war not to the glen, you've got the uniform you are wearing, your boots, weapon(+bayonet), helmet and CBA, load carrying kit and ammo.
      What else should you carry?

I'll start the ball rolling with an incomplete list

Canteen and crusader cup, and spork. this covers dining, do without a stove of whatever sort you like, you will either eat cold rats or get how grub given to you

Cleaning kit

Spare socks

Poncho to cover the need for wetgear and act as your shelter

Torch

What else needs to be included?
      Last edited by CS Gass; 6 April 2010, 18:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
        Reading over this thread there seems to be an awful of 'just in case' kit being included as standard by many people.

Having always been the guy who brought fcuk all into the field I find this an odd development,

So, I'm raising the question, what are the items of kit that you really really need and would be simply up shit creek and paddleless without,

Lets assume for arguments sake you're making up your loadout to go off to war not to the glen, you've got the uniform you are wearing, your boots, weapon(+bayonet), helmet and CBA, load carrying kit and ammo.

Canteen and crusader cup, and spork. this covers dining, do without a stove of whatever sort you like, you will either eat cold rats or get how grub given to you

Cleaning kit

Spare socks

Poncho to cover wetgear and your shelter

Torch

Ditch the canteen, you should have got yourself a camelback/platypus...use normal water bottles for extra water(ie ballygowen bottles)!
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
          Or Haribo Starmix AKA Morale in a Bag!
          The old OG Square pocket combat jacket had a pocket that was perfectly measured to accomodate either a packet of Rolos or Eclairs.
          It was too big to hold a biro, and too small for anything else.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
            Ditch the canteen, you should have got yourself a camelback/platypus...use normal water bottles for extra water(ie ballygowen bottles)!
            There will be two things left after a nuclear war. Cockroaches and Army plastic canteens.

Never ditch a canteen!
            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
              There will be two things left after a nuclear war. Cockroaches and Army plastic canteens.

Never ditch a canteen!
              Its not that they wont last its just that they tend to get lost/stolen!

Comment

Cleaning kit

Spare socks

Poncho to cover wetgear and your shelter

Torch

I devoted a good bit of time to posting a fairly comprehensive packing list/guide to how to admin yourself on the ground in the "Good tips " thread in the Military kit section.Perhaps that would help.Oh and nobody carries a poncho AND rainsuit.With a basha aswell it is overkill and too much weight .Try to use items that do two jobs instead of one.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• I think you missed what I was getting at, I was trying to provoke a debate on what people really need on the ground. There's a lot of useful kit out there I'm not denying that I just feel that weight often trumps the usefulness of any object.

Comment

I think you missed what I was getting at, I was trying to provoke a debate on what people really need on the ground. There's a lot of useful kit out there I'm not denying that I just feel that weight often trumps the usefulness of any object.
                    Its all been done before!

Comment

• Lets face it if you read accounts from Vietnam, Korea, World War two etc you'll see how light the guys try to be.

If you take a host of experiences as a general guide,

They ate cold rats in the field, unless they were in a position whereby hot food was supplied or a fire could be made to cook with

You do without hot drinks unless the facility to brew it presented itself, We're not the British Army

You sleep in a hole in the ground with your weapon to keep you warm and maybe a blanket

You dont begin each day with a shower, shave and a nice clean uniform

Once you have, boots, a weapon, ammo and rats you're good to go. I'm not saying I'm some tough guy I just think this is what we should model ourselves off not inspector gadget

Comment

• CS Gass. Listen to what people are trying to tell you. There is already a very long and informative thread elsewhere on the site, dealing with exactly this.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• I've checked it out, the fact that its long, and 'comprehensive' is pretty much my point

Comment

You do without hot drinks unless the facility to brew it presented itself, We're not the British Army
                            Ohh hark at her!
                            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• in fairness you guys have been sticking kettles into your tanks since the centurion

Comment

• No hot brews eh? Come on up the Galtees for 10 days without a brew and cold rations so.
                                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Working...
                                X