Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you carry on your webbing/smock?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ME LOSE BRAIN OHH OOH

me low intelligence, no no no you are very wronger.
    Me smart, me prov it

!!!ME MAKE FIRE!!!

SEE It beside me and big kakulator with big tv glass that I can see what me rites.

OHH OOO! Fire get big, ME no I make fire go away, Me hit it with these wood sticks.

BAD this is the biggerest fire me everest sawed.

OWWW arm all burney and hot now , Me know me bite it off

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Q.E.D

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

IT OK ME ONLY LOSES MINES FRONTIST ARM
        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

I never realised the contents of a soldiers smock was so classified.
          The contents of a smock isn't classified, the manual & annex you asked for is. If you've trouble understanding why the dissemination of classified information is frowned upon then you don't belong here & certainly don't belong in the DF.

I'd also suggest you try directing any further dissent on the issue to Josh & see where that gets you.

me low intelligence, no no no you are very wronger.
          When are you getting commissioned?
          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Okay I've got a list together for what I have in my smock when I go out on the ground:

Bottom Left Pocket
            - Burnshields
            - Pocket First Aid
            - Exam Gloves
            - Crepe Bandage

Bottom Right Pocket
            - Fingerless Gloves
            - Soldier 95 Gloves
            - Bush Hat
            - MultiTool

Top Left Pocket
            - Scrim net
            - Right Angle Torch
            - Painkillers
            - Spoon
            - Shemagh

Top Right Pocket
            - MagLite
            - Mozzie Net
            - Tissues
            - Camo Stick
            - Whistle
            - Weapon Camo Set and Monocular
            - Mirror Wrapped In A Cloth
            - Sweeties

Left Arm Pocket
            - Waterproof Pen
            - Water Soluble Pen
            - Normal Pen
            - Elastic Bands
            - Chinograph Pencil
            - Flint and Striker
            - Fishing Kit
            - Pencil Sharpener
            - Zippo Lighter

First Aid Pocket
            - Field Dressing
            - Exam Gloves

Inside Pocket
            - Map
            - Compass
            - TacAid (When I'm a Corporal)
            Last edited by Bam Bam; 25 November 2004, 09:36.

Comment

If you have all that in your pockets what are you keeping in your webbing?

Is it just me who thinks that thats a ridiculas amount of stuff to have in pockets. Can you crawl and lie confortably on your front? What do you do if you have to take your smock off?

Comment

remember the old saying folks "Live with the contents of your backpack; Fight with the contents of your webbing and Survive with the contents of your jacket"

I don't mean to be smart when I say this Bam Bam but if you've got all that kit in your jacket I'd hate to see how much you've got in your webbing... and that would be BEFORE you load up all your ammo.

Search the Military.ie website and download the Connect posters for admin in the field
                SALUTE:- Formal if infrequently observed wave at an officer usually followed by "hows it going sir ?"

Comment

Will someone just give this guy a copy of that manual or appendix or whatever he's looking for...

I'm getting sick of this thread.

Later.
                  No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

Ok muzzle, arty farty if you were on the ground for 24 - 72 hrs, pocket by pocket as I've done, what would you have in your smock?

Bear in mind this setup works for me and each piece has an important role.

I thought of different problems I may encounter on the ground, and I want to be able to take care of myself.

As for if I'm comfortable lying down. The main time I'd be lying down with this amount of kit is during a section / platoon in attack, and you have more important things to consider then "am I comfortable?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam
                      Ok muzzle, arty farty if you were on the ground for 24 - 72 hrs, pocket by pocket as I've done, what would you have in your smock?

As for if I'm comfortable lying down. The main time I'd be lying down with this amount of kit is during a section / platoon in attack, and you have more important things to consider then "am I comfortable?"
                      Nothing it would all be in my webbing and backpack/day sack. The odd time I put choc or biscuits in the top pockets but they tend to get squashed and grubby so I try not to. Maps are grand in those pockets as well as there is nowhere in the webbing that would house them easily enough. Generally if you have a map it would be in a map case hung around your kneck though. Took a disposable camera on one exercise and kept it in the top pockets but it got cracked from lying on it and ruiened a few good shots.

What about lying in an OP for a few hours (or days) or in a covering postion for an ambush? Do your bulging pockets restrict you movment (crawling or standing)?

As for "Live with the contents of your backpack; Fight with the contents of your webbing and Survive with the contents of your jacket" Iv never heard that saying. You Live out of you backpack but you fight and survive out of your webbing. What ever about taking on and off a jacket your webbing should be the one thing (other then your weapon) that you never take off. Think of how many pictures of guys patroling with and with out smocks have you seen from Liberia, East Timor the Leb? You will never see them without webbing.

The smock is technically comabt wear (i.e. a must) but realistically you will take it off and put it on as your needs change. If you are happy with you setup go for it, I personally would shift 95% of that stuff to webbing.

Comment

For use in the field just follow the admin guidelines laid out in the connect foldout as closely as you can, compass on all, its not much good saying compasses are corporals kit if your a private thats gotten lost, my unit teaches basic map and compass work at the earliest opportunity and Im very frightened by the idea of anyone getting three stars before they can nav.
                        As for the comfort issue, for field use the smock should have the drawstrings pulled in as tight as possible, with the bottom of the pockets just under the hip bones, if you pack the kit well and tie the most common items (compass, torch with batteries, Spoon etc) to the pockets it will make life a lot easier... the idea that you should always carry as little as possible belongs back in the day of obese platoon sergeants and privates with bottles of coke in their webbing.

Theres an admin instruction for a reason if you know so much better Id suggest you apply to the DFTC for a position making them.
                        Last edited by Come-quickly; 25 November 2004, 18:34.
                        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam
                          Okay I've got a list together for what I have in my smock when I go out on the ground:

Bottom Left Pocket
                          - Burnshields
                          - Pocket First Aid
                          - Exam Gloves
                          - Crepe Bandage

Bottom Right Pocket
                          - Fingerless Gloves
                          - Soldier 95 Gloves
                          - Bush Hat
                          - MultiTool

Top Left Pocket
                          - Scrim net
                          - Right Angle Torch
                          - Painkillers
                          - Spoon
                          - Shemagh

Top Right Pocket
                          - MagLite
                          - Mozzie Net
                          - Tissues
                          - Camo Stick
                          - Whistle
                          - Weapon Camo Set and Monocular
                          - Mirror Wrapped In A Cloth
                          - Sweeties

Left Arm Pocket
                          - Waterproof Pen
                          - Water Soluble Pen
                          - Normal Pen
                          - Elastic Bands
                          - Chinograph Pencil
                          - Flint and Striker
                          - Fishing Kit
                          - Pencil Sharpener
                          - Zippo Lighter

First Aid Pocket
                          - Field Dressing
                          - Exam Gloves

Inside Pocket
                          - Map
                          - Compass
                          - TacAid (When I'm a Corporal)
                          Left ammo pouch:
                          - sink, kitchen type

Right ammo pouch:
                          - pear tree, c/w partridge

water bottle pouch/respirator pouch/utility pouches:
                          - the rest of me gaff

Rucksack, main:
                          - the world...

Rucksack, side pouches:
                          - ...and his wife.

Comment

From the ARW poster in connect:

Top left-
                            Chinagraph pencils
                            compass
                            tac aide
                            small torch
                            waterproof markers
                            whistle

Bottom Left -
                            bush hat
                            fingerless gloves

Arm Left -
                            fd dressing

Bottom Right -
                            map
                            tissues

Top Right -
                            combat survival tin
                            high carbohydrate food
                            lighter
                            spoon

Comment

Actually the kit in my smock is a direct evolution from that list.

Comment

The arw kit list is a very good guide.Not too much or too little.Bam Bam looking at your list i would say you are possibly carrying too much kit.Some items such as glove you are duplicating.Fair enough i carry two pairs aswell but one pair,soldier 95,for wet weather is carried in the shoot and scoot bag along with neckwarmer and skipcap.The fingerless gloves go in the smock when not worn.
                                tm 201 kit list is now out of date.The new kit list is at the back of the new tam.The bum bag (respirator case is never worn on the cefo now)and daysacks have started to make the wearing of rocket pouches obsolete.This has led to a re assesment based on what soldiers actually carry aswell as the recommened items.
                                Two field dressings are the way to go.Bullets make two holes remember.Good point about not allways wearing the smock.you shoul be able to transfer items to your shirt/pants/cefo in hot weather.pm me if you want more hints :wink:
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X