Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you carry on your webbing/smock?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Murph, that's the same one that appeared in An Cosantoir a few months ago.
    As for (Trellheim?) keeping fags in the pocket of the combat jacket, I'd say the
    aforementioned cigarettes are in a fine state (the phrase "squashed in shite" comes to
    mind) after a few section in attack drills !!!
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
      There was an excellent foldout in Connect a few months ago, based on what is carried, where & why for the Std NCOs Cse, run by the NCO Training Wing.
      in the TAM 2003 theres a suggested load to carry in chapter 6 i think!
      Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

Originally posted by T.I.M.
        in the TAM 2003 theres a suggested load to carry in chapter 6 i think!
        Is is only a very rough guide. Units SOPs are far more detailed.

Comment

but your unit SOP's dont leave any room for personal preffrence, i hate carrying things in my leg pockets!
          Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

Comment

The Army doesn't really care about your "personal preference". The SOPs exist for a reason and your preference is not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
              where am I supposed to keep my fags?
              The compass pouch (on the 58) is good for that. I have seen it used.
              Last edited by bulldemboots!; 1 December 2004, 22:41.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldemboots!
                The compass pouch (on the 58) is good for that. I have seen it used.
                What compass pouch on the '58?

Comment

Look up the silvermans website and you will see it docman aswell as the 58 binos pouch.Both of which were on issue to officers in the pdf when we used 58.As for rigidly sticking to sops when it comes to kit packing i would say try to stick to it as much as possible when it comes to vital items.Ammo,ffd etc.However you should allow troops to be flexible aslong as they have all the kit they should have.
                  If everyone stuck rigidly to sops all the time then no one would try anything new and better ways of doing things would never evolve.EG:brits in falklands war use private purchase bergans as opposed to the "sop" 58 ptn one.B.A notice this and developed the far superior plce bergan that we have today.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman
                    The Army doesn't really care about your "personal preference"..
                    oh i think otherwise... infact im sure thats why we have such large buttons on our smocks, cause its would be kinda hard to open with your gloves on while your out on the groud in a trench in the glen at minus 4 degrees!

The SOPs exist for a reason and your preference is not one of them.
                    yes i know, to eliminate confusion for example! but never the less why do your unit's sops say you carry a mag in your pocket of your smock and not your trouser pocket? you can take your smock off easly, you cant do the same with trousers...

now, theres fsome food for thought!

Comment

Originally posted by apod
                      As for rigidly sticking to sops when it comes to kit packing i would say try to stick to it as much as possible when it comes to vital items.Ammo,ffd etc.However you should allow troops to be flexible aslong as they have all the kit they should have.
                      ssshhhh Don't tell T.I.M. that.

No I was trying to make the point that unit SOPs are a good "guide" and that there are certain essentials that have to be followed, ie ammo ffd etc. I for one don't stick very rigidly to the SOPs. However I insist that recruits do until they have the experience to decide for themselves.

oh i think otherwise... infact im sure thats why we have such large buttons on our smocks, cause its would be kinda hard to open with your gloves on while your out on the groud in a trench in the glen at minus 4 degrees!
                      That is an operational matter. Leads to increased fighting efficiency. However the choice between the Blue sweet or the red sweet is personal preference. That is what I am talking about.

yes i know, to eliminate confusion for example! but never the less why do your unit's sops say you carry a mag in your pocket of your smock and not your trouser pocket? you can take your smock off easly, you cant do the same with trousers...
                      Because it is easier for the elements to get at it and increases the chance of stoppages!!! Then again, each unit has its own SOPs. Heard of the mag in the pocket, haven't heard of it being done in a while. We tend to put the ammo in our webbing but then again we don't get enough ammo to go hiding any away.

Comment

OH sweet jesus.AMMO pouches are for ammo,pockets are for field admin.END OF STORY.In the pdf we NEVER EVER put ammo in our pockets it so is so tactically unsound as to be almost suicidal.
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

The 4bn were carrying a steyr mag in the inside pocket of the smock last time i looked at their sop....or it may have been the 12th. I'll look for it and show you on your return.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by apod
                            AMMO pouches are for ammo,pockets are for field admin.END OF STORY.In the pdf we NEVER EVER put ammo in our pockets it so is so tactically unsound as to be almost suicidal.
                            Yeah but if youre on security duty (in the RDF) without webbing, which is only provided, in general, if you're doing security in barracks (in place of PDF personnel) you have to put the mag(s) in your pockets!

Comment

Thats what the pocket of the flak jacket is for though...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Someone should've told the guy I used to see on gate duty on the canal entrance, (by the motor pool) to Cathal Brugha. He always had his pants cargo pockets crammed with Steyr mags. Granted, this was a good few years ago.

Later.
                                No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X