No announcement yet.

New Copper Chopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thing is GTTC, Air Corps EC135s are powered by P&W engines, while GASU models are Turbomeca.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Well then, as per, I stand corrected.begs the question, which engine is better? Was the old P and W not up to snuff for heavy lifting?
      regards
      GttC

Comment

Wouldn't you think if there's only going to be four of them altogether operated out of Baldonnell it would make more sense to have the four the same, even if there is some little plus one way or another for the different engines?

Comment

Also differences in how the aircraft are operated by the pilot due to sutble but important differences in the FADEC systems.
          The Air Corps assessed the PW to be better and the Garda assessed the TM to be better and never the twain shall meet.

Comment

are the garda helicopters still serviced by a different (privately contracted) tech crew?

Comment

So even though the Garda helicopters are flown by Air Corps pilots, someone in the Gardai knows more about which helicopter engine is best than the Air Corps? And do Air Corps pilots have to train separately for the GASU EC135s, seeing as there are different engine controls? Sounds like someone should have banged some heads together long ago and saved a lot of time and money.

Comment

The GASU machines should never have been the responsibility of the Air Corps. I don't think it makes any difference if they have different engines, because ultimately the Garda Siochana should have them operated independantly of the Air Corps, with their own Pilots.
                The only advantage is the aircraft can operate from a secure base, though with the increased airside security found in the larger airports in Ireland, I don't think this advantage is unique to the don any more.

Remember the Gardai and the Air Corps have completely different requirements for their aircraft, and their usage. A "Jack of all trades" wouldnt work, in the same way as Giving the Gardai Eithne to use as the Garda boat would be less than successful.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                  funny you say that the programme on rte gave more info did you see it???
                  I couldn't give a monkey's what was said on RTE, we're not discussing operational info & that's that.
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Hi there
                    FMs point about garda flight/crewing rosters is, naturally, a secret for obvious reasons.The maintenance is carried out by civil contractors, which is not a secret.Bear in mind that UK police helicopters and aircraft have been attacked and damaged at their supposedly secure bases.The crims have a vested interest in having the choppers grounded, either by direct action or even by bad weather.
                    regards
                    GttC

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                      Bear in mind that UK police helicopters and aircraft have been attacked and damaged at their supposedly secure bases.The crims have a vested interest in having the choppers grounded, either by direct action or even by bad weather.
                      regards
                      GttC
                      Really? When was that!. I have a vested interest in Police affiars but cannot recall any such incidents. If you have any links etc, i'd be glad to read them.

Comment

• Any pictures of 272???

Comment

• this is it, I think! under a German tail registration.

http://www.eurocopter.com/publicatio...EN&news_id=337
                          Last edited by pmtts; 1 January 2008, 21:14.

Comment

• Originally posted by pmtts View Post
                            this is it, I think! under a German tail registration.

http://www.eurocopter.com/publicatio...EN&news_id=337

Thanks for that, any pics of her since she arrived in Bal?

Comment

• No I think that was one of the Air Corps EC135s (270/271)

The GASU one probably looks like the one below except with 272 on it
                              Last edited by CTU; 2 January 2008, 18:53.
                              It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                              It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                              It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                              It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Hi Goldie,
                                The main reason that the Gardai do not have civiy pilots is because a lot of their operations are prohibited under current Irish legislation. The UK police operate under a completely seperate Police Air Operations Manual. Im sure it could be legalised here but its probably just easier to let the Donners do it.
                                The second reason is the prohibitive cost. At least an extra half mil for pilots for ONE 24hr helicopter. Thats an extra 1 mil per year if both go 24hr to do exactly what they are doing now, the cops aint stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X