Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were you in the NS back in the days......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Emer will make one final trip crewed entirely by Exers..Moggy with be Captain....damo can be XO....GR Coxwain..laners..sorry mate galley as usual, loks like I'm the only Seaman....gues I'm on the helm and taking in the lines,,,,,who else 'volunteers please.
    Me XO ....no way too boring ...:wink:
    I want my old job as rib cox`n....would show them young whipper snappers how them things is ment to be driven
    Old blue foul weather gear
    Pair of rom runners or doc martins
    Issue towel for neck
    Black or navy blue monkey hat
    Dirty old life-jacket.....
    & old bony knee to keep trottle open to the max.......

Where do I sign ? ..........
    What do you mean abandon ship
    Are they taking requests?

Comment

• Galley again just like Stephen Segal was on that battleship.
      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• usetabeanera

Originally posted by Laners View Post
        Galley again just like Stephen Segal was on that battleship.
        Laners + ponytail + deep fried jam fritters Killer!!!!

Comment

Emer will make one final trip crewed entirely by Exers..Moggy with be Captain....damo can be XO....GR Coxwain..laners..sorry mate galley as usual, loks like I'm the only Seaman....gues I'm on the helm and taking in the lines,,,,,who else 'volunteers please.

Can I be the C/ERA?

Comment

After reading all the Ex NS posts I think I would qualify for that voyage

I drink loads- I still unsuccessfully chase women- I constantly mess- then do more messing

and thats about it.
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
              After reading all the Ex NS posts I think I would qualify for that voyage

I drink loads- I still unsuccessfully chase women- I constantly mess- then do more messing

and thats about it.
              Welcome aboard Hedgehog...
              Even thought you are probably over qualified with the "more messing" but us sailiors have never let little things like that get in the way.......

Comment

• After reading all the Ex NS posts I think I would qualify for that voyage

and thats about it.

On second thoughts you can be capatin..eminently qualified..would have to do **** all.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• just to let people know that cpo /sea jim (bully) white passed away today after a long battle with cancer he was a true dub and had a grumpy mood but a great coxswain and bosun and was part of the old navy....R.I.P.

Comment

• R.i.p
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Rest in Peace

Comment

• Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                        just to let people know that cpo /sea jim (bully) white passed away today after a long battle with cancer he was a true dub and had a grumpy mood but a great coxswain and bosun and was part of the old navy....R.I.P.
                        Actually G.R. Bully was from Drogheda and was very proud of it, there was a famous encounter between Peter Barry TD who was Minister for Labour at the time who was canvassing for the 1981 Gen. Election. Peter noticed Bullys strange accent and asked him where he was from and Bully told him he was from Drogheda, Peter then asked him what brought him to Cork(meaning what business had he in Cork) and Bully replied the train. At this stage Peter decided to cut his losses and to move on swiftly but Bully was having none of it and proceede3d to tell the politician what a hames he was making of running the country.Bully was very well known for his one liners( some of which have been credited on this site to Paddy Carolan, who comes from Monaghan and as such has a simillar accent) i.e "if your were here Ill charge you with p------ in that mans bunk and if you werent here Ill charge you with absence." or "If you werent here or you werent there then where the F--- were you". Bully was at loggerheads with a Chief/EA for a number of years, when the C/EA was retiring he was having drinks in the NCOs Mess ,the two hadnt spoken for years but Bully was in the mess enjoying the banter with his other colleagues when the EA approached himand held out his hand and said look Jim we havent seen eye to eye for awhile now but as Im leaving "lets bury the hatchet" Jim not been familliar with the expression replied "Youll bury the hatchet where ye fat b------."
                        The late great Sean O Brien credited Jim as the man who taught him how to be a Bosun.
                        Jim has battled with illness for a number of years, I met him about 6 months ago and he told me he had been diagnosed for the third time with cancer unfortunately he didnt recover from this one. Rest in Peace Jim.

Comment

• thanks mh always thought he was a dub but you did not dare question him as an o/seaman.... the mess on a friday and the window opens and bully shouts to us to carry on whitewashing.. but he could not be convinced that it was the middle of december and he just said well pretend its summer i have a few things to sort out so off we went to look busy for the afternoon..

Comment

• Originally posted by Marnealach View Post
                            ....there was a famous encounter between Peter Barry TD who was Minister for Labour at the time who was canvassing for the 1981 Gen. Election.

Peter noticed Bullys strange accent and asked him where he was from and Bully told him he was from Drogheda, Peter then asked him what brought him to Cork(meaning what business had he in Cork) and Bully replied the train. At this stage Peter decided to cut his losses and to move on swiftly but Bully was having none of it and proceede3d to tell the politician what a hames he was making of running the country...
                            RIP - sounded like quite a guy
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• This is the best thread I have come across on this site. Great Contributions, lots of irreverence but still lots of respect and geneeral good crack and no discussiosn about the no of Zips or gadgets attached to this or that piece of kit. Was once on Banba for an overnight n the 70S around 74? as a sluggie , went down to Castletownbere, threw up only once and played football in a carpark?? had a thrill in a gemini going ahead to rec the heaving lines, ( didnt rea;lly know what I was doing. Remember two guys , one from Ballyer short littel fellow called Sparrow? and an LS called Keaveney who took us around and attempted to teach us a few things. They also had a shoot with the 20mm on the way.There was also the first black recruit in the base not sure though if that was later.
                              Anyway joined the pdf later , army
                              Thansk for great thread and good photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                                There was also the first black recruit in the base not sure though if that was later.
                                Anyway joined the pdf later , army
                                Thansk for great thread and good photos.
                                Charlie Nabrago, was the recruit. The was a story on Spike once, where something had happened and all the recruits were 'fell in' so as to enquire as to what had unfolded. Charlie was asked if he could identify the culprit.

He reply was ' Well I don't rightly know Sir! All these white folk look the same to me'

Comment

Working...
                                X