Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were you in the NS back in the days......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi. chris Reynolds here. The rank markings are international as national head of Coast Guard. In military circles your rank is by number of troops under you. In civil services its by number of statutory and non-statutory responsibilities vested in your position. Also my medals are all DF medals and decorations (Divers badge). The IRCG has 90 fulltime, 120 contract and 1000 volunteers as well as coordinating other declared resources like the RNLI. Its a civil uniformed service.

Comment

• Thanks for the clarification....

and well done. I for one like the professionalization of the IRCG. The uniform is only one small part, but an important part, or this.

Comment

• Originally posted by chris r View Post
        Hi. chris Reynolds here. The rank markings are international as national head of Coast Guard. In military circles your rank is by number of troops under you. In civil services its by number of statutory and non-statutory responsibilities vested in your position. Also my medals are all DF medals and decorations (Divers badge). The IRCG has 90 fulltime, 120 contract and 1000 volunteers as well as coordinating other declared resources like the RNLI. Its a civil uniformed service.
        Just a thought, If a member of the defence forces retired and became a bus driver, would it be appropriate for him to wear his medals on his uniform? It's a civil uniformed service.

Comment

• Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
          Just a thought, If a member of the defence forces retired and became a bus driver, would it be appropriate for him to wear his medals on his uniform? It's a civil uniformed service.
          Funny there are Gardai and members of Dublin Fire Brigade who wear military medals!

Comment

• Depends on the regulations of that Particular agency I suppose.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Coast Guard

It's only in the last 8 - 10 years or so that the IRCG have become more of a "visible" organisation, it's a well manned and very professional outfit, it's great to see the coast guard jeeps around the coast, Isn't it appropriate to see the head of the IRCG in uniform?. Some of the unsung heroes of our shores are the radio operators of our coastal radio stations, those guy's do a smashing job.
              Last edited by Galway hooker11; 28 January 2010, 22:57.
              "The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring we call luck."

Comment

• t's great to see the coast guard jeeps around the coast,
                theres a guy who lives on my route to work who drives a CG marked Mondeo.I wish he would park it some where else as the amount of times I have mistaken it for a Garda speed trap is unfair.

So my request to the Director of the Irish Coast Guard would be, I don't care what you wear as a uniform, where the medals get pinned..but please change the format of the vehicles used...its not fair on those of us who occassionally exceed the speed limit.

There was a time when many in the Naval Service believed that it would evolve into a US type coastguard,the irony being that the CG evolved as a service of its own with a former Naval Officer at the helm..pardon the pun.

It was something that was sadly lacking for many years, with the NS and the AC picking up on the roles.

It is good to see the CG having risen to its current prominence as a separate entity and as an agency that is soley dedicated to the role it carries out.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Speeding!!

No Murph, it aint the Coast Guard guy you see! it's one of the cardboard Garda cars, lets be careful out there....
                  "The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring we call luck."

Comment

• rank protocols

Danno back. I am still unconvinced as to the rank insignia of rear admiral and not the actual uniform.

The reference to other CGs does not help as the head of the M C A the UK coastguard is profiled in a work suit with no embellishments and whilst the commanders of the US and French cgs are of the rank of admiral and naval colonel resp they are full time senior serving naval officers in military services.

Again the size of the Irish operation in terms of full time staff (89) and size of surface units(ribs and a 10m pollution boat) would not ordinarily in whatever context confer the rank of rear admiral on the director of same. Can anyone assist. over.

Comment

• Murph, Coastguard cars have a completely different coloured stripe to the Garda ones, Indeed Traffic Corps cars don't have a stripe any more, instead carrying blue and yellow "batterburg" pattern... and you shouldn't be speeding anyway.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Funny there are Gardai and members of Dublin Fire Brigade who wear military medals!
                        Is the rule still there that allows one to wear one's grandfathers medals from the 'war'?

Comment

• I'm not sure you get to vote on this...

Originally posted by danno View Post
                          Danno back. I am still unconvinced as to the rank insignia of rear admiral and not the actual uniform.
                          And why are you so exercised about it. Be happy that our Senior Public servants no longer wear the "petrol blue" suit and the floral tie when they represent us at home and abroad.
                          Last edited by Jolly_Jack; 29 January 2010, 17:52.

Comment

• Murph, Coastguard cars have a completely different coloured stripe to the Garda ones, Indeed Traffic Corps cars don't have a stripe any more, instead carrying blue and yellow "batterburg" pattern... and you shouldn't be speeding anyway.
                            Head on at 0800 on a winters morning a Mondeo at half a mile with a light on the top looks like at cop car especially if your doing 70mph.

If I 'm not speeding , I'm not getting anywhere.
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Danno back. I am still unconvinced as to the rank insignia of rear admiral and not the actual uniform.
                              Think about it.. an usher in Dail wears bars but this gives him not rank just indicates his pecking order in his place of work. He wears a black uniform but doesn't have pretentions to being a naval officer.

I don't think there should be an inference drawn from a former Naval officer wearing the uniform and indication of status in the organisation that he works and he is quite rightly entitled to wear his medals as gain they are his to as he wishes with, he is a state employee and I'm sure some would think it proper that the man would wear his indication of title and his indicators of achievement.

the inference there is something wrong with this is very petty given the role of the Coast Guard.

An ambulance service officer wears indicators of status on his epaullettes but nobody attempst to infer that he is trying to imitate an army officer carrying the same amount of pips.

Something not right here.If its aimed at the man..take it else where..if its aimed at the position take it to another thread.

Mod s please..topic.

Comment

• Just as an aside to all of this. If an Engineer on the David F wore a uniform with some sort of insignia, does that make him a Naval Engineer?????
                                Last edited by blaisec; 30 January 2010, 00:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X