No announcement yet.

The help Ireland gave to the allies during WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a mention of Bryan's visit to see the U-Boat surrender in Michael Kennedy's-- Guarding Neutral Ireland: The Coast Watching Service and Military Intelligence, 1939-1945.

From memory, he simply caught the train north and went in his civvies. I'll check to see if the book provides a reference.

Despite all of the evidence from both Irish and British archives, not to mention German, it's sad there's still a lot of bollocksology out there, to the effect that the German's had their own U-Boat Abbeyshrule on the west coast, filled with fuel, food and torpedos.

The story is usually, but not always, spun by anti-Irish types.
    Last edited by pym; 26 November 2018, 20:07.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
      There's a mention of Bryan's visit to see the U-Boat surrender in Michael Kennedy's-- Guarding Neutral Ireland: The Coast Watching Service and Military Intelligence, 1939-1945.

From memory, he simply caught the train north and went in his civvies. I'll check to see if the book provides a reference.

Despite all of the evidence from both Irish and British archives, not to mention German, it's sad there's still a lot of bollocksology out there, to the effect that the German's had their own U-Boat Abbeyshrule on the west coast, filled with fuel, food and torpedos.

The story is usually, but not always, spun by anti-Irish types.
      Mostly repeated by the Loyalists up north, to dilute their shame of having large numbers of drunk able body men at the 12th of July marches
      each year who claimed they were needed in the war industries.

U-Boote der Kriegsmarine und die spätere Republik Irland Am 17.10.2009 wurde im kleinen Hafen von Ventry bei Ballymore in der Grafschaft Kerry im Südwesten der Republik Irland in einer feierlichen Zeremonie ein Gedenkstein in Erinnerung an ein Ereignis in den ersten Wochen des Zweiten Weltkriegs erinnert, von dem unser irischer Freund Denis Martin anlässlich der...
      Last edited by sofa; 26 November 2018, 22:51.

Comment

• Bryan went in a private capacity,it was a major event and thousands, including my father went to see it.

Bryan’s other great legacy to the df was that he was on the board that selected the 84mm back in the 1950s

Comment

• 1. We shared information with the Allies on the codes we cracked.
          2. We provided meteorological information to the Allies.
          3. Flights going west to east were deemed to be training/transport flights so the aircrew were not interred and were instead brought across the border.
          4. We actively encouraged allied interees to escape in the latter part of the war.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
            1. We shared information with the Allies on the codes we cracked.
            2. We provided meteorological information to the Allies.
            3. Flights going west to east were deemed to be training/transport flights so the aircrew were not interred and were instead brought across the border.
            4. We actively encouraged allied interees to escape in the latter part of the war.

Marc Mc Menamin, producer of this weekend's RTÉ Documentary on One, Richard Hayes, Nazi Codebreaker, reflects on honouring Ireland's role in World War Two.
            Last edited by sofa; 27 November 2018, 23:04.

Comment

I remember seeing on TV once where an relative of an RAF internee described how he "escaped" back to Northern Ireland while on day pass from the Curragh only to be sent back by the RAF who where afraid of offending the Irish Authorities!
              It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
              It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
              It was a new age...It was the end of history.
              It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post
                I remember seeing on TV once where an relative of an RAF internee described how he "escaped" back to Northern Ireland while on day pass from the Curragh only to be sent back by the RAF who where afraid of offending the Irish Authorities!
                The guy was Canadian, He signed his pass stating he would return. Went back in to get his gloves (Returned) And headed off again without signing a new bond. He was sent back for breaking the spirit of the arrangement. Allies also had a tunnel on the go. Which the camp guards would measure each week while the prisoners were out on their passes. Gave them something to do and sure they would only start another one anyway. Was only "discovered" when near the wire.
                Last edited by sofa; 28 November 2018, 01:11.

Comment

• I think that guy's name was Wolf. I thought he was a US citizen who joined the RAF early in the war. There is a book called Guests of the State by T. Ryle Dwyer on the allies and axis internees during WW2.

Comment

I think that guy's name was Wolf. I thought he was a US citizen who joined the RAF early in the war. There is a book called Guests of the State by T. Ryle Dwyer on the allies and axis internees during WW2.
                    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...s_Of_The_State
                    Spitfire down: The WWII camp where Allies and Germans mixed
                    Attempts to recover a Spitfire from an Irish peat bog highlights the peculiar story of the British and German men who spent WWII in neighbouring camps, writes historian Dan Snow.
                    It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                    It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                    It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                    It was the year everything changed.

Comment

I think that guy's name was Wolf. I thought he was a US citizen who joined the RAF early in the war. There is a book called Guests of the State by T. Ryle Dwyer on the allies and axis internees during WW2.
                      https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...s_Of_The_State
                      I'm working off memory so I may be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X