No announcement yet.

The help Ireland gave to the allies during WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

don't forget that Ireland also had a blackout in effect so that the axis aircraft couldn't use ireland as a point of reference to attack england. Which explains the dublin bombings
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

The thread on Key Publishing forum was started by "Panther Aer Chor na hEireann" does he post on other forums under another name? Secret airfields!!! just because the author quoted by Panther did not know of the existance of Rathduff does not make it a secret. There is a map in N/A Kew which shows airfields and lanfing grounds (including Rathduff)all over Ireland including Collinstown, Baldonnel, Gormanston, Rineanna etc I hope he heard of them. The postings by Gunner Who? and FMolloy show that they have a real grasp and understanding of the period.
      Bam Bam, not correct. The lights of Dublin ( sometimes dimmed ) were used as a navigation point by the Luftwaffe units KGr100, KG55, KG26( the Pathfinders )also by KG27, KG40, F123 and other units. Please do not raise that hoary old chestnut "bending the Beams" Luftwaffe crews were well aware that their transmission were being interfered with and ignored them.

Comment

Was Decca in use back then?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Check out the prat called Benny C

Actually stating that it was OFFICIAL POLICY to allow U-Boats to refuel in Irish ports during WW2?!?!?!?!
          Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam
            don't forget that Ireland also had a blackout in effect so that the axis aircraft couldn't use ireland as a point of reference to attack england. Which explains the dublin bombings

I was always under the impression that the blackout was not enforced in ROI, and that there was only one incidence of accidental bombing of Dublin by the Luftwaffe?

Comment

Could someone clear this up for me; I remember hearing (alas on the Internet, so the warning signs are flashing in my head) that a Luftwaffe bomber was flown back to Britain from Baldonnel by an Air Corps pilot for evaluation by the RAF in the closing days, or after the war. Is there any truth in this? If it is true, was the aircraft painted in Air Corps colours to avoid it being shot down? It would certainly have made a most interesting photograph.

I've also heard that no Axis aircraft were put into the service of the Air Corps, but is there any evidence to suggest that they, or their surviving parts handed over to Britain?

Cheers

Comment

The men who held the job of "glimmer man" during the emergency has much folklore attached to them. Their lot consisted of checking houses in Dublin before dark to make sure no light was leaking through curtains.

I remember one Air Corps pilot stole one of the Walrus seaplanes and "defected" to the UK. I understand this aircraft is still in th eUK.

Comment

Goldie: he landed at St Mawgan, asking for fuel. RAF station commander saw the IAC roundel, thought he was Dutch, and let him get the fuel. Just then a signal came through from the Don about the Walrus, pilot and a few passengers with him taken under guard, then sent home and off to the Curragh for a while. Pilot then went off and joined the RAF- his original flight was to have been to occupied France!

Pym: a Ju88 landed at Gormo in May '45 and was flown away by the RAF for evaluation of the radar.
                  "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                    The men who held the job of "glimmer man" during the emergency has much folklore attached to them. Their lot consisted of checking houses in Dublin before dark to make sure no light was leaking through curtains.
                    That wasn't the function of the "glimmer men" - gas for cooking was strictly rationed, only to be used at certain times and they used to inspect peoples' cookers for the "glimmer" of gas which would reveal that they had been using their gas outside allotted times.

glimmer man
                    "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Just testing ye....

The ARP had the job of checking for breaches of the blackout.

Comment

I think the main reason no axis aircraft were pressed iinto Irish service was that the garman crews made a point of destroying then before they surrendered. Only a very small number of axis aircraft were actually recovered intact
                        There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

that and it would be dangerous for the irish aircrews.

I.e flying over the irish sea and getting spotted and fired upon by a british spitfire / hurricane
                          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

That threat didnt stop the Spanish flying 109's (until the 1960's I think..) Bam Bam, I think the Swiss flew Bf110's too

My main interest is in the whether crashed Luftwaffe parts were given to Britain - especially for the reconstruction of aircraft like the Fw190, or the later war bombers, when the British were eager to find out what exactly they were up against. I'm guessing the parts were given over, based on the simple fact: we had no use for them, the British did. But I have seen no evidence.

Comment

yes but the swiss couldn't really fly british or american planes cause 1 they couln't get them and 2 they may have been shot at by the axis.

We didn't hand over parts.
                              We "lost" them.
                              We lost them all.

Comment

Ok we're veering way off topic; I dont think the Swiss Air Force cared too much about being "shot at by the axis", since they themselves shot down a number of Luftwaffe aircraft during the war, not to mention allied aircraft. They also suffered losses themselves.

While they may not have used British or American types, they did use a number of French fighters

Do you have a source re: losing parts?

Comment

Working...
                                X