No announcement yet.

Foreign Naval Visits 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. FGS Zobel has been in Ireland before. I bought one of their hats.

NTM
    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Incidentally,recently arrived In cork Harbour under tow was the Bligh,Now refistered In Kingstown,but formerly one of the Falkland War Hospital Ships,then a royal Navy ship,then and now a survey ship.She was Either Herald,Hydra or Helca...
      Lost power off the coast somewhere and was Towed to Cork Dockyard(formerly Verolme) for repair,though workers there complain that they currently have so much work they had to bring in extra staff from Harland And Wolff. A good sign for Irish Marine industry.
      Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

The Bligh and the Somerville have been tied up at the north Wharf in waterford for the past while .They were indeed HMS Hearld and Hecla which seved as hospital ships during the falklands conflict.Interesting to note is the massive refits that have taken place on the superstructure and the addition of basket ball rings on the Flight decks.These vessels would have made ideal survey vessels and training vessels for the naval sevice....I know that they are quite old but they were bougth quite reasonably comercialy...was this another lost oppertunity.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Well considering Bligh found herself dead in the water,its probably a good thing we dont have them. For survey ships they seem to spend a lot of time tied up and in for repair.
          I saw the BB nets..an idea for eithnes helideck maybe?

Comment

as former naval vessels they probably don't recieve the amount of mainatence that they should......They conducted the first Irish underwater survey of the coast line ever....remember seeing eithnes flight dect used for driving practise ( golf....too small for F1)
            The last underwater survey of the coast was carried out in the last century by the Royal Navy Admiralty and has only been updated on a gradule basis since
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I think Captain Cook was involved in the last one..

Comment

more visits

a flotilla of french vessels i think similar to the german ones are to visit cork on the 11th of this month(i think thats the date) and also HMS echo is to visit dublin this month also.

also any1 who was around cobh on the day when the american vessels were leaving, Ciaras CO decided to try and show off by going full astern from the oil wharf down as far as cork hbr radio........ strange sight seing a ship going out down the harbour the wrong way.

Comment

I finally scanned the photos of the germans. Here are some of them,until I manage to upload them onto the web..
                  Attached Files

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

more
                    Attached Files

Comment

Dad Just saw 2 ships entering Cork Harbour with A770 and A771 on their sides. No other info. Any Ideas?

Comment

A770 GLYCINE
                        A771 EGLANTINE

Both French Navy, according to this: http://www.dtic.mil/jcs/j6/cceb/acps/acp113.pdf

Some info: http://www.netmarine.net/bat/divers/glycine/

Comment

Thanks,the oulfella said he saw tricolours,but he must be colorblind ..

Comment

Interesting that the French name a vessel after an amino acid.

Comment

Well they named one of their best selling cars after a lemon....

Comment

Indian warship to visit Dublin

Indian warship to visit Dublin
                                The Irish Independent
                                22-July-2003

A RUSSIAN-built 4,000 ton Indian Navy "stealth" frigate is to visit Dublin on her maiden voyage.

The INS Trishul, which was commissioned last month in St Petersburg, is to visit the city from July 28-31.

Comment

Working...
                                X