R.D.F. service medal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.D.F. service medal.

can anyone tell me about the R.D.F service medal, how does one apply and who qualifies?
    Thanks.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Ba...dals/rdf12.jpg
    "The tide doesn't come up for another six hours, you want to wait around here for another six hours ?"

The first service medal is awardable after 7 years service..but in the eight year of sevice. You don't apply..the unit record will reflect the service and the unit submits the required paperwork...it has been known to take some extra time. I got my twleve year medal in my 14th year.

Don't hold your breath
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Murf is correct. The following link may also be of some help to you.

http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/b...ead.php?t=4654

Comment

Thanks guys.
        "The tide doesn't come up for another six hours, you want to wait around here for another six hours ?"

Comment

On a semi-related question.

Can anyone tell me what is engraved on the back of a PDF service medal, eg number, rank, name or what?

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
            The first service medal is awardable after 7 years service..but in the eight year of sevice. You don't apply..the unit record will reflect the service and the unit submits the required paperwork...it has been known to take some extra time. I got my twleve year medal in my 14th year

Don't hold your breath
            Murph, a 12 yr medal? Or a bar to your existing medal? I was under the impression that the latter is the case, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm in the 12+ territory now myself...
            Last edited by FMolloy; 21 September 2005, 21:53.
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
              On a semi-related question.

Can anyone tell me what is engraved on the back of a PDF service medal, eg number, rank, name or what?
              number, rank, name
              sigpic
              Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
              My favourite moment was when the
              Originally posted by hedgehog
              red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Is the engravement done on the side or the reverse?

Comment

Reverse
                  Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
                  Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

Comment

or maybe its the side........GH help me....i cant remember
                    Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
                    Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                      Neither, it's the same medal with adifferent ribbon. 21 is a bar.
                      Wrong TED.

Twelve year medal is the seven year with a different ribbon and a bar.
                      Twenty one year medal is same as twelve with a 21 year bar.

Some units are wearing their 12 year bar and their 21 year bar together, others are wearing their 21 year bar alone.

Comment

GOC132 is the boards medal expert.

25th December 2004, 01:06 #26
                        goc132
                        C/S

The An Cosantoir a couple of years ago had photos of medal and the official wearing of the FCA/ASM Service Medal after 21 years is the 12 year ribbon with the two bars the senior bar with the numeral 21 on it is positioned above the 12 year bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua
                          Wrong TED.

Twelve year medal is the seven year with a different ribbon and a bar. Twenty one year medal is same as twelve with a 21 year bar.

Some units are wearing their 12 year bar and their 21 year bar together, others are wearing their 21 year bar alone.
                          Joshua is correct, the 7 year ribbon is blue with a thick yellow stripe on each edge of the ribbon.

The 12+ yr ribbon is the same, with the addition of a thin yellow stripe down the middle of the ribbon.

The 12 yr bar in addition has a Celtic design of some kind on it, the 21 yr bar has the numerals "21" on the centre of it - unsurprisingly !!!

Originally posted by kermit
                          Neither, it's the same medal with adifferent ribbon. 21 is a bar
                          Thanks, Kermit. Yes, I was aware that the ribbon changes for 12+ years, but hadn't heard of a second medal being issued, which is why I was querying this...
                          Last edited by FMolloy; 21 September 2005, 21:55.
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The twelve year bar has the roman numeral XII for twelve but in the following (more symetrical/artistic I suppose) format IXI.

Comment

Anyone heard whether the current service medals are being scrapped? Also will they keep the term of service at 7 years or change it?

Comment

Working...
                              X