Emergency towing vessel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It could for example be included in the 8 as an EPV
    If the naval service believes it should be included in the compliment of future patrol vessels then it should
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• The NS could believe it is 1 of a 15 strong fleet

It is up to the Government, the new Minister and DOD

Comment

• The multi role capability of the ship would be key but looking at the Icelandic example in particular it would appear the free board of the working deck is very low thus making this a very 'wet' area and possibly unusable in the type of seas now encountered in Patrol areas.

While usable during towing events, how practical is it in every day operations?
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Great news for Cork today. Resolve Marine have announced they are setting up operations in Ringaskiddy. This company took over all the former UK Coastguard ETVs. They were also very involved in the recent salvage of the Cruise Liner "Costa Concordia. They were also involved in the salvage of MV Rena in NZ.

They will be working with IMERC to create ROV used in the salvage industry.
          However this recently spent a few days enjoying the Cork facilities.

For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Whatever about an ETV, L.E. Orla is currently being towed by the Port of Cork tug "Breedbank" into the harbour. No more details.

Comment

• Originally posted by ibenji
              Not surprising really considering it has barely moved in the last 9 months although to be fair, it was fairly windy in the harbour today☺
              LE Orla is twin engined and screwed. If the tug was towing a "Dead" ship it would have to be serious to totally impede propulsion. A double engine failure would be unusual except for fuel supply, cooling,or lube,or propellers impeded. If the tug was there to assist berthing I could understand that as at 1812 local time it was the top of High Water and the ebb might not have been significant for a clean port side berthing. No doubt we will find out in due time.

Comment

• I was thinking a secondary drive failure. Tug seems to have taken the tow at the Cork Buoy, meaning Orla got that far on its own.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                  LE Orla is twin engined and screwed. If the tug was towing a "Dead" ship it would have to be serious to totally impede propulsion. A double engine failure would be unusual except for fuel supply, cooling,or lube,or propellers impeded. If the tug was there to assist berthing I could understand that as at 1812 local time it was the top of High Water and the ebb might not have been significant for a clean port side berthing. No doubt we will find out in due time.
                  There was talk of a fuel quality issue recently with a delivery and had to be returned to its supplier. Wonder if it is connected to that?
                  Last edited by ibenji; 4 April 2015, 15:33.

Comment

• The Cork Buoy is a few miles south of Roches Point. A tow from there indicates an unusable system for whatever reason. Maybe fuel, but ships use a service tank and generally can keep the fuel contaminant free. Could be anything from the no no list!! Ropes , nets, lobster moorings etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                      The Cork Buoy is a few miles south of Roches Point. A tow from there indicates an unusable system for whatever reason. Maybe fuel, but ships use a service tank and generally can keep the fuel contaminant free. Could be anything from the no no list!! Ropes , nets, lobster moorings etc.
                      Isn't that why they have ships divers? I'm sticking with my Loiter drive theory. They have always been troublesome, but if the weather is wrong, you won't get into Cork Harbour on main engines only.

Comment

• I'm not that familiar with the Loiter Gear, but you imply, that on Main Engines only, the ship wouldn't have a safe slow speed for maneuvering and berthing. The ship would need the Loiter Gear for slow approach to the quay wall. I remember the CMS's being giddy and we approached the berth on one engine only. On two engines the minimum speed was 5 knots. You could be right. Yes the ships diver should be able to cut away gear, particularly ropes.

Comment

• My understanding the Peacocks minimum speed on mains is 8kn. Outside of that its the Loiter drive, or tugs.

Comment

• Got you. Thanks. 8kts is very bendable on steel !!

Comment

• What's a Loiter Gear please.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorenco View Post
                                What's a Loiter Gear please.?
                                Loitering with intent .
                                Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Working...
                                X