Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
    What are you looking for Morpheus?
    +1.i have spare stuff up in the attic I don't use anymore.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• eBay was always cheaper than rvops, sort by price including shipping and consider using parcel motel.
      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• eBay was always cheaper than rvops, sort by price including shipping and consider using parcel motel.
        Yep. RVOps was not about the price though but about quality and service , its a customer triangle and I preferred the last two over what was essentially not a large jump in price
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Picked one of these up just before Christmas and have been using extensively over last month or so. Lots of walking the dog and a bit of pre-lockdown hill work in all the cold, windy wet and sometimes wet weather we've had over the period.

Have to say I've found it an excellent piece of kit. Well worth the €50-60 it might cost online. No shortage of 2nd hand or surplus available for some reason. Definitely a budget Buffalo Smock at a fraction of the price.

I used it in a variety of different ways; with a wicking base-layer underneath, with a cotton t-shirt underneath, with norgie style micro fleece underneath and with a hard-shell over it.

The Positives:
          Decent wind-proofing
          Warm down to 5 degrees C outside
          Bearable between 5 and 0 degrees outside when active
          Pit zips (Buffalo sorely misses these) and easy side ventilation
          Good size pouch pocket at front
          Excellent collar with built in shower proof hood

The Negatives:
          Build quality not as bombproof as buffalo.
          Fleece inner sticks a little putting on but good when worn
          Sleeve length a fraction short

Overall, a reasonably priced, solid bit of kit suitable for Irish autumn, winter, spring weather if you don't want to be putting on / off layers as wind, cold and showers constantly change. Would definitely have a place in a rucksack for PDF or AR. Just don't expect Buffalo levels of performance for near / below 0 degrees or really heavy rain.

Attached Files
          Last edited by X-RayOne; 12 January 2021, 16:37.
          An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• I got one off a board member and haven’t regretted it once. Apart from that time it nearly stripped me topless in a shop in Germany. The fleece stuck to whatever I was wearing below (cotton T-shirt probably) and just came with the jacket.
            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
            He put a bullet through his brain.
            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Is the inside like a Buffalo?

Aren’t they designed to be worn directly against the skin?

Comment

• Nope. Microfleece instead. I bought one a few years back after freezing my nuts off DS'ing a night time RECCE patrol in November.I was too active to wear a Snugpak under my smock (I would have died from overheating) but not as active as the students(a lot of standing back observing while they CTR'd) so was frozen when halted.

PCS Thermal smock is my go to now for such tasks. My snugpak is only for when static. PCS TS packs very small into it's own chest pocket and is very light to carry in a daysack.

I have to agree though.A nause to put on over a long sleeve base layer.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  Is the inside like a Buffalo?

Aren’t they designed to be worn directly against the skin?
                  As Apod said, microfleece inner. Not fur pile like the buffalo, which goes on /off much smoother than the fleece.

Buffalo is supposed to be worn next to skin, perfect if is all you are wearing for a long period. But doesn't really go well with military applications where there are lots of highly active periods and changes to static, different dress states, etc.

I used a Buffalo as my go to insulation layer when I was in DF but never next to skin for the reasons above.
                  An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Anyone got one of these?
                    The Stowaway has been around for a long time, but we feel it deserves a little reintroduction. It was designed to be as light weight as possible with a very minimalistic design. The shirt snugly fits into a little pouch located at the back of the neck and is secured with a drawstring & toggle. This can be removed i

They aren’t issue but available in Irish Pattern

Comment

Anyone got one of these?
                      The Stowaway has been around for a long time, but we feel it deserves a little reintroduction. It was designed to be as light weight as possible with a very minimalistic design. The shirt snugly fits into a little pouch located at the back of the neck and is secured with a drawstring & toggle. This can be removed i

Great bit of kit, very light. Ideal outer layer for wet wether whilst on the move or wetsuit jacket is too heavy. Don’t size up for layering as this is already taken into consideration.

Comment

Anyone got one of these?

Lucky RDFRA have sorted out some back pay, and you've given me something pretty to buy :D
                        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Have one for the last few years. Highly recommended. It won't keep you fully dry in an absolute downpour (absolute worst day in the mountains weather), but it'll keep you as dry as a jacket that fits in your front pocket can. Worn under a soaked smock, it'll provide a water resistant layer that'll keep you in the game. It's good enough to wear over a snugpak to have as part of a slimmed down OP kit to keep you alive in the most common exercise wearher situations. Look up Military Kit Reviews on Instagram for a discount code on the A192.
                          Last edited by Captain Edmund Blackadder; 30 January 2021, 00:42.
                          Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

• Nah. If you are going to go private purchase go the whole hog.

A310 RAINSHIELD COAT A310 RAINSHIELD COAT A lightweight, packable waterproof coat.  This product encompasses the technology of our waterproof smocks and the lightweight properties of the Stowaway shirt, resulting in a low-profile waterproof solution. SKU: A310

Available from them in Irish DPM and forms part of the new Sniper kit.(Us RECCE Heads NEVER get cold and wet in an OP)

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                              Nah. If you are going to go private purchase go the whole hog.

A310 RAINSHIELD COAT A310 RAINSHIELD COAT A lightweight, packable waterproof coat.  This product encompasses the technology of our waterproof smocks and the lightweight properties of the Stowaway shirt, resulting in a low-profile waterproof solution. SKU: A310

Available from them in Irish DPM and forms part of the new Sniper kit.(Us RECCE Heads NEVER get cold and wet in an OP)
                              How's the fit on this? I'd be somewhere between M and L depending on the brand.
                              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Make sure that you are not being charged UK VAT at the point of sale as you will be charged Irish VAT when your Item is delivered. You are not required to pay both.

The UK retailers should leave out VAT for deliveries outside the UK but may not have got around to recoding their websites yet. I would ring them and point it out if they charge you VAT.

Customs fees will only apply if the value of the goods is in excess of €150 euros. This means that it might be worth splitting orders if the customs would be more than the additional postage fee.

Comment

Working...
                                X