No announcement yet.

Good Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You expect anyone to believe its yoghurt?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

My two cents

Avoid Chest Rigs like the plague. Most of the people I know who bought them (primarily for various overseas missions), myself included, found that they hinder your mobility, you can get f- all in them and they drag the crap out of your shoulders after a while.
      If you are going to be in a vehicle (and I'm thinking Mech Inf role here), then, by all means, shell out on an assault vest, provided that you are sure that you are going to get enough use out of it to justify the expense; it's not a small investment. Otherwise, stick to the issued PLCE. In my experience, it's the best there is, provided you have it fitting properly. Just bung a couple of extra pouches on the back.

Comment

Does the Republic have Mechanised Infantry?
        Hanno

Comment

Of course...

Only when overseas tho...:D

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Not so, there is also a Mech Inf Coy in Ireland (yes, just one Coy, but nevertheless...). One should include Cav when talking about assault vests and the like.

Comment

Goggles/Glasses

Referance using Goggles Glasses for tactical Ex.The PDF and Navy use Bolle goggles which are much more user friendly.They also do a full range of tactical glasses in clear non fog,smoke non fog and for low light conditions an Amber lens.Or you can choose from their huge range of ski goggles and sunglasses.

Comment

Im sure ill be heading off on an exercise sometime in the next 6 months so i decided to spend some extra cash i had acquired, I bought some items for myself from the army surplus store in dundalk, they gave me a discount for being in the army which is pretty good.

Anyway, surrounded by all sorts of uniforms pouches, chestrigs, stacks of Magnum boots, etc, i thought long and hard about what to buy without being a bit too stupid.

Since ive been on only one camp and i havent been on an exercise yet, i know that we will be issued CEFO albeit 58 pattern so i figured that theres really no point in blowing too much on webbing yet.

I just found out that some guys in my unit have bought all this stuff and more which is making me think twice now...

Anyway I bought
                scrim net,
                camo cream with mirror,
                maglite,
                paracord,
                bungi's,
                camelback
                and a 32L daysack which has irish DPM cover built into the base of it and you can just unzip the bottom and pull the dpm cover up and over the sack, the dpm cover is waterproof-ish aswell, the lads in dundalk purchased 60 of them from the shop earlier this year.

We were advised that if we plan to go on exercise, that we should try and get rain gear, I couldnt source any in green, anyone know where i can get some? I think we will be issued raingear, but i somehow doubt there would be enough to go round.

Ive heard that jonesborough market near newry is an excellent source for army surplus too, although i havent seen it first hand!
                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Most of that stuff is available from the IMO store.
                  If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Define 'more user friendly'. If you're referring to comfort, that's very much a personal thing. Some people find certain brands or models fit better than others, that goes for anthing else you wear.

And the PDF also use ESS goggles, that's coming from the manufacturers.
                    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• User freindly refers to the ability of been able to use the product quite simply and that range is. Thats is why they are the general issue goggles to the Army and Navy.They are in use all over the world.

Comment

• Bolle goggles operate in the same manner as ESS ones; strap adjustment & lens changing is the same on both brands.

It's like saying Nike is better than Reebok, or Coke is better than Pepsi - it's a matter of personal preference.

"The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• Green Lowe Alpine Dryflo

Was in the Outdoor Adventure Store in Dublin at the weekend looking for Lowe Alpine Dryflo T-Shirts in green. They told me they don't have them at the moment cos Lowe Alpine are only contracted to supply them to the Army. The shop assistant said they will prolly get them in eventually cos there's a big demand.

Anyway does anyone know anywhere where you can buy Dryflo T-Shirts in green?

Comment

• Not sure, but this might help??
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• The Tech T's and Dry Flo are both excellent, the latter being the better of the two.

Comment

• will you be able to get hoop bivi bags.

Comment

Working...
                                X