No announcement yet.

Irish Steel Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happens the plant site, it is unlikely the NS will be able to build anything on it. Even putting services underground will be an issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      Whatever happens the plant site, it is unlikely the NS will be able to build anything on it. Even putting services underground will be an issue.
      You are incorrect with that. If it is remediated into a green field site, Defence will be able to do whatever they wish with the site. Hence the need to remediate fully. Note, I have said Defence will be able to do whatever with it, as there is huge potential with the size of the site. Also, there are probably 3 specific points in the whole site that would have had heavy metals present. This is from the info presented by the external consultants a number of years ago in Cobh and Ringaskiddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dogwatch View Post
        You are incorrect with that. If it is remediated into a green field site, Defence will be able to do whatever they wish with the site. Hence the need to remediate fully. Note, I have said Defence will be able to do whatever with it, as there is huge potential with the size of the site. Also, there are probably 3 specific points in the whole site that would have had heavy metals present. This is from the info presented by the external consultants a number of years ago in Cobh and Ringaskiddy.
        I’m talking about the plant site not the east tip.

The tender for the development of the basin area specifically says it

Comment

• I'm shocked that there would be oil found on a site that has been used for heavy industry for the last 100 years or so. Next thing you'll be telling me that there were traces of Caprinae fecal matter found all over the Ranges at Kilworth and the Glen of Imaal..[/QUOTE]

There was a time where I would probably just call you a tit but I am starting to feel sorry for you. There is a big difference between remediating a site and changing an oil filter. I deal with remediation of contaminated sites on a daily basis and know exactly how this is going to go. They went with the easy and cheap option for the landfill. There will be no avoiding the issue this time with the steel site

Comment

• I have to disagree there. The East tip was the best option, as it removed any chance of the toxic dust becoming airborne again. What is on the east tip posed no harm until it became airborne. Leaching into the waterway was also prevented. The method used is the same that has been reclaiming landfill successfully elsewhere, and the chemicals pose less risk than those found on landfill.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Whatever happens the plant site, it is unlikely the NS will be able to build anything on it. Even putting services underground will be an issue.
              If there's will and money anything can be done.

The Greenwich Peninsula in London was heavily contaminated from a gas works and other industries and was reclaimed in the 90s when the Millennium Dome was built and the area was redeveloped.
              It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
              It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
              It was a new age...It was the end of history.
              It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	72740285-DE94-4BC3-A817-4377EF94AC96.png
Views:	1
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	698239
                Originally posted by CTU View Post
                If there's will and money anything can be done.

The Greenwich Peninsula in London was heavily contaminated from a gas works and other industries and was reclaimed in the 90s when the Millennium Dome was built and the area was redeveloped.

Comment

[ATTACH]8624[/ATTACH]
                  They did the same at the dome. They cleaned up as much as the land they could, Capped the rest and built up from the capping. All that means is they can't go deep with the piling for building foundations.
                  It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                  It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                  It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                  It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ibenji View Post
                    I'm shocked that there would be oil found on a site that has been used for heavy industry for the last 100 years or so. Next thing you'll be telling me that there were traces of Caprinae fecal matter found all over the Ranges at Kilworth and the Glen of Imaal..
                    There was a time where I would probably just call you a tit but I am starting to feel sorry for you. There is a big difference between remediating a site and changing an oil filter. I deal with remediation of contaminated sites on a daily basis and know exactly how this is going to go. They went with the easy and cheap option for the landfill. There will be no avoiding the issue this time with the steel site[/QUOTE]

keep it civil please! MOD
                    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• East tip beginning to look almost natural again.

Comment

• There are a significant number of masts visible at the south end of the basin and Google Earth shows a line up of 23 yachts alongside. Are these seized vessels, public berths or what ?
                        “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
                        ― Thucydides

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaqra View Post
                          There are a significant number of masts visible at the south end of the basin and Google Earth shows a line up of 23 yachts alongside. Are these seized vessels, public berths or what ?
                          Nope. They are yachts owned by people connected to the naval service and as far as I know they are moored for free.

Comment

• Originally posted by ibenji View Post
                            Nope. They are yachts owned by people connected to the naval service and as far as I know they are moored for free.
                            Future development of drydock area will surely require a clearance. I notice in the Magnifly footage that a car park exists for casual visitors-must be a record for any Defence establishment in the World. I also notice several patches of standing water on the new green areas.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                              Future development of drydock area will surely require a clearance. I notice in the Magnifly footage that a car park exists for casual visitors-must be a record for any Defence establishment in the World. I also notice several patches of standing water on the new green areas.
                              You should see my back garden...

Comment

• Delayed public access to Cork harbour park is 'indefensible'

Millions of euro was spent on turning the former Irish Steel/Irish Ispat 'East Tip' site on Haulbowline Island into a 'People's Park' and it was supposed to be handed over to Cork County Council in May 2019 to allow for public access.

However, this failed to materialise and the Department of Agriculture, Food & Marine, which still maintains ownership of the site, has said in conjunction with the Department of Defence, it is still engaged in preparing a lease for the council to facilitate the operation of the remediated East Tip site as a public park.

Comment

Working...
                                X