Irish Steel Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
    In my opinion, Spencer is only useful as a short term berth, a lay by while waiting for the Oil wharf to clear or even visiting vessels. Long term it restricts the movement in and out of the basin.
    The NS thinks the same BTW

None of this can be done until ISPAT is finished

It has gone to tender

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      The NS thinks the same BTW

None of this can be done until ISPAT is finished

It has gone to tender
      Just to ask is that the finishing ISPAT has gone to tender or work on the Basin? Also very interesting, I always did wonder about the yachts in the Basin tbh.

Comment

• Are the yachts owned by ns bods/exers or is it a completely private club?
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• NS bods and exers. The worst kind of WAFI.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
            Just to ask is that the finishing ISPAT has gone to tender or work on the Basin? Also very interesting, I always did wonder about the yachts in the Basin tbh.
            tender is for work on the basin

Work on the tip is starting next month, the site will be started "shortly" all expected to be completed Q1 2019

Comment

tender is for work on the basin

Work on the tip is starting next month, the site will be started "shortly" all expected to be completed Q1 2019
              Cheer's with both having some form of progress I wasn't sure.

Comment

• Footage taken by drone last week of the current state of the East Tip. I believe Cdre Malone FOCNS visited to review progress. All is going well. Not the eyesore it once was.

Compare the above taken last week, to a clip taken in February.

Once the grass starts growing here people will never know toxic waste was buried beneath.
                It remains to be seen what will become of the site of the old factory.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmit� View Post
                  Once the grass starts growing here people will never know toxic waste was buried beneath.
                  It remains to be seen what will become of the site of the old factory.
                  So we have, at a depth, an acreage of toxic ground, bound at the sea edge by a loose stone escarpment . It is covered by a membrane system, which in turn is covered by clean topsoil waiting to be grassed. Nothing therefore can be put on that surface requiring penetration of the membrane system . I hope they have done a radiology emission test as some questionable scrap went into those furnaces in days gone by.
                  The western site needs to be developed to future Naval needs including accommodation for ships in refit requiring shut down.

Comment

• Which is why it’s planned to be a park

The factory site is to be capped in concrete (so again if you build on it you can’t penetrate it)

Comment

• Isotope Park , just like in the Simpsons .
                      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Which is why it’s planned to be a park

The factory site is to be capped in concrete (so again if you build on it you can’t penetrate it)
                        As a park it is limited in Arbour or horticultural development. There is no public access to that area without compromising or ignoring current security requirements. Possible use as a drone 'dome with portacabin type buildings or just leave it to the birds and bees as a monument to expediency.

There must be a critical reason if the factory site is to be capped in concrete. The extent of capping, I hope , will not impinge on the proper redevelopment of the West side of the Basin and Drydock for future Naval use.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                          As a park it is limited in Arbour or horticultural development. There is no public access to that area without compromising or ignoring current security requirements. Possible use as a drone 'dome with portacabin type buildings or just leave it to the birds and bees as a monument to expediency.

There must be a critical reason if the factory site is to be capped in concrete. The extent of capping, I hope , will not impinge on the proper redevelopment of the West side of the Basin and Drydock for future Naval use.
                          Is there not a plan for car park, a public park and footbridge to connect to spike island, which in my opinion is needed if spike island is to grow as a tourist attraction (I was in cobh during the summer and was thinking about going over but missed the sailings over to it). As for security, the historic dockyard at Portsmouth can coexist next to HMNB Portsmouth.
                          It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                          It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Not sure about the foot bridge but the East Tip it will be a public park.

According to the berthing upgrade render documents, the capping will cause restrictions on evacuations (even for services and roads) and the ISPAT site will not necessarily go to the NS.

Comment

Not sure about the foot bridge but the East Tip it will be a public park.

According to the berthing upgrade render documents, the capping will cause restrictions on evacuations (even for services and roads) and the ISPAT site will not necessarily go to the NS.
                              Bullying gets Governments everywhere. We could contemplate services running in above ground ducting. All the buildings were part of defence property until the advent of Irish Steel which was largely a state sponsored undertaking. Now that ISPAT is gone the real estate should revert to DOD. We are in an expansionary mode and provision must be made to maintain a range of choices now, or in the future. We have given away State Naval land including recreational training fields . We must hold or be slowly demilitarised by circumstances and Sunday picnics in the Park.

Comment

• Of course you can duct the services (and it would probably be cheaper) but your unlikely to be able to dig foundations for any buildings.

I’m not 100% sure I’d like to be living/working/training etc on toxic waste (capped or not), imagine in 30 years time they found that the concrete was unable to contain the toxins?

If it was 1000% safe I’d build a load of SLI Accomodiation, probably a 300+m range and training facilities

Comment

Working...
                                X