Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Steel Mill

According to this link:

"ONE of Ireland's worst industrial eyesores" is to be demolished and redeveloped (Anyone got pics? Just how bad is it??).

It also states that

"The demolition is a key element of the government plan to restore Haulbowline Island so it can be redeveloped for commercial or leisure purposes."

Will this have any impact on the Navy?
    Meh.

Good riddence to it and all the crap it use to pump into the air around the harbour .
    I often wondered about the quality of the air being drawn into the ship when berted at the Base because of it .

So what sort of leisure or comercial purpose can we expect ? , anyone any ideas ?
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

You can see the steel plant in the background in both of these photos.
      Attached Files

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

iit's a kip. been there a few weeks ago, should be blown up, i say a house of sin

Comment

Goldie
          On the base there is a white building just under the mast- whats that used for, is it akin to a control tower
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

here is a view from the basin
            Attached Files

Comment

Sexy!

I am sure they'll make nice appts. I might even buy one.
              Meh.

Comment

I wonder ..no one has the photos that the guy on #2 beat would have seen with all the shit being pumped into the air early in the morning....and it lasted all day long...any one who worked in boat transport or ssg would have seen tha state of it.....
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

what about the rumours of extremely bad stuff buried under the bridge to the base in tunnels. Some say radioactive. There's all sorts of rumours bout tunnels and the like.

Comment

The white building is the VS tower.
                    No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
                    No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

Originally posted by yooklid
                      Will this have any impact on the Navy?
                      Naval vessels will start ploughing into assholes sailing their dinghys willy nilly.
                      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by the babs
                        here is a view from the basin

Worth pointing out that the lovely Limestone Key wall beneath the Flying Crane in that photo has recently been dredged to make room for any future large ship, and the NS has taken over that part of the Quay. Thats all they want though. They have no interest in the rest of the land.

The Slagheap east of the basin is also to be cleaned up,and returned to greenfield site. And Mittal won't be paying one single cent towards it.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                          That I believe is the Comcen, and Control Centre
                          You believe wrong.

Comment

thats the VS tower...viual sinals...with a mast that seems to be shrouded in scafolding. Its used to Fly the national flag and for returning ships flag signals...
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS
                              what about the rumours of extremely bad stuff buried under the bridge to the base in tunnels. Some say radioactive. There's all sorts of rumours bout tunnels and the like.
                              The mid section of the bridge sits on a small island which use to be a Magazine during the Royal Navy days , the entrance to the Magazine could still be seen when I served way back . Not too sure about nasty stuff being buired inside though .
                              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Working...
                              X