Irish Steel Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can sign autographs if you like....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• It is a concern though isn't it? Given what happened to the navy over Spike...the sheer effort and man-hours to make the place a working base only to be told to haul out and make way for a Government project...who is to say they wouldn't do it to us again? And a residential/ leisure development will be a very different proposition as a neighbour than an industrial one.

The NS will have to fight for a clear perimeter, for exclusive use of the basin, for parking spaces. It will have to fight for the West Wall. I hope the powers-that-be are working on this already and that the DOD will represent us properly in the upcoming issues.

I am not an optimist. Anyone know what property prices are like in BereHaven?

Comment

• Can somebody tell me what the building is that I've circled? It looks like it's cut from the same stone as the Navy Buildings and it should be a part of it, but the roof is missing...
        Attached Files
        Meh.

Comment

• Looks like the former Irish steel lab that burned down a good few years ago. Sadly, some lab technician died in that fire .

Comment

• Yeah, thats the one next to the Naval Hospital..the place is pretty much derelict although it is being refurbished at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by McCarthy View Post
              Yeah, thats the one next to the Naval Hospital..the place is pretty much derelict although it is being refurbished at the moment.
              who will get it when the refurb is complete? It looks like it used to belong to the Navy.
              Meh.

Comment

• :redface: :redface:
                Last edited by Pod; 22 October 2006, 18:43. Reason: drunken post

Comment

• It never belonged to the Irish Navy, the three east facing buildings were property of Irish steel. Their use by the steel mill would have begun shortly after the Basin was extended in the early 1900s. Prior to that they were Admirality Warehouses.

Comment

• url]http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2006/11/20/story18664.asp[/url]
                    Monday, November 20, 2006 :

McDowell’s plans for Spike Island super-prison a mistake, says minister

Minister for Trade and Commerce, Michael Ahern, called on Mr McDowell to allow time to examine alternative sites for a Munster prison, and to establish what effect the prison would have on multi-million Government plans for a tourism, residential and commercial development at neighbouring Haulbowline.

Those plans include the development of 200 apartments, a marina with more than 200 berths and a clubhouse, a 300-bed hotel and a maritime museum.

Earlier this month, Mr McDowell said he expected to make a decision soon on whether to give the prison project the green light.

Campaigners against the super-prison have said if the island’s tourism potential was tapped properly, it could become Ireland’s version of Alcatraz.

Agreeing, Mr Ahern said the prison plans should be fully reviewed to take into account possible adverse effects it would have on the Haulbowline development.

“The project envisaged for Haulbowline would be among the largest projects in the State. This will be of huge significance for Cobh.

“As a consequence of this massive development, I believe the decision to build a prison on Spike Island across from Haulbowline is a mistake,” he said. He added that the future of Spike Island as a tourist destination should form part of any review of the prison decision.

Comment

• He's known as the "Minister for Silence" in these parts...

Comment

• Why not build the prison on Haulbowline and have the tourists go to Spike?
                        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

• 'cause that has a modicom of sence bout it.

Comment

• How does it look now? Any update on planned developments?
                            Meh.

Comment

• The facelift of the island continued this weekend, with the removal of the second rusting Oil tank from the area behind the Car Park. Two recently renovated tanks remain. While this has nothing to do with the Irish Steel mill, the tanks in question were idle for many years, and as the equipment to demolish them was on the island, it made sense I'm sure to include them in the clearance work.

Site Clearance continues on the Steel mill side, and detailed plans are available for the proposed use of one of the Old admirality Buildings as a Maritime Museum.

Comment

• With the increase of the territorial zone and the fact that the Naval Service should increase should the DOD and the Gardai/Customs not take it over for Drugs investications etc and I have to agree with one of the earlier posts a prison if needed should also be here thats a good idea,if the civies have left then leave the island as a totally secure government site.

Comment

Working...
                                X