No announcement yet.

Irish Steel Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep up with the news. Prison is going elsewhere.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• I know that but McDowell wont be Justice Minister after next month

Comment

• It doesnt matter. Spike is no longer the proposed site. Haulbowline was never an option.

Comment

• Haulbowline is too valuable a site for a prison. There is huge potential for the island with the establishment of a maritime museum and the building of some other service capacity - marina, hotel, office space, etc etc
          Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

• In an around the Island recently I took a few photos of the Famous Bridge....

HAULBOWLINE BRIDGE
            Opened on the 24th of october 1966 by
            The Taoiseach Sean. F. Lemass T.D.
            And Blessed by
            Most Rev. Cornelius Lucey D.D Bishop of Cork

May God's blessing also fall on the Steel Industry
            For which this bridge was built.
            Comissioned by
            Irish Steel Holdings Ltd
            Haulbowline

Consultants
            O'Connell & Harley,
            Cork

Contractor
            Ascon Ltd,
            Dublin.

Comment

• Damn the bastard that ever built it as I gave far too much time having early morning runs over that bastard bridge..twice a day for 16 weeks...my poor feet still ache at the thought of it.!
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                Damn the bastard that ever built it as I gave far too much time having early morning runs over that bastard bridge..twice a day for 16 weeks...my poor feet still ache at the thought of it.!
                yeah we all did it - made you fit as a fiddle - till we all went to sea then got bellies ha ha

Comment

• Originally posted by moggy View Post
                  yeah we all did it - made you fit as a fiddle - till we all went to sea then got bellies ha ha
                  laners grub and pints in fowleys... but we survived.. to see the lads running now it would bring out a cold sweat. chippie slatterys old car at dinner hour out for refreshments back then and tear into it... did we have a problem no we just went at it again in the evening

Comment

• yeah we all did it - made you fit as a fiddle - till we all went to sea then got bellies ha ha
                    How times change....gyms on ships etc...in our day you were lucky if the VCR worked

Fitness lol...guys who had been superfit as recruits facing the horrors of it all again on an NCOs course
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Farel' View Post
                      Anyone know what will become of the land formerly occupied by Irish Steel/Ispat,when they finally clean it up. Is the naval school going to move to the Maritime College in ringaskiddy when its finished?
                      at the basin the other day and seen the so called clean up going on signs everywhere to wear masks because of contamination a bit like chernobyl pity the press do not take an interest .. and on the way out you pass the crematorium

Comment

• Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                        at the basin the other day and seen the so called clean up going on signs everywhere to wear masks because of contamination a bit like chernobyl pity the press do not take an interest .. and on the way out you pass the crematorium
                        The dust is toxic, It always was. The only difference is, it's now making its way into the Holds of ships as cargo, to be disposed of elsewhere, rather than in the past when it was being blown into the lungs of all those who worked around the Basin.

Trust me, it is nothing like Chernobyl. It is a slow process, for the safety of those of you working in the vicinity. The basin is a damn sight cleaner looking than it was 2 years ago.

What is your issue with the Crematorium?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          The dust is toxic, It always was. The only difference is, it's now making its way into the Holds of ships as cargo, to be disposed of elsewhere, rather than in the past when it was being blown into the lungs of all those who worked around the Basin.

Trust me, it is nothing like Chernobyl. It is a slow process, for the safety of those of you working in the vicinity. The basin is a damn sight cleaner looking than it was 2 years ago.

What is your issue with the Crematorium?
                          :wink: to remind you where you could end up if you are unfortunate enough to breathe in enough of that Sh---

Comment

• Then do what you are told and wear a mask then!

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              Then do what you are told and wear a mask then!
                              no need .. i got all the fresh dust years ago,, immune to it,, that lovely taste of metal in your mouth as we paraded to mass on the first friday.. and said our little prayers..

Comment

• I was there the day they brought the Furnace hall down. Sadly I was in th epath of the dust cloud. The metal taste is quite distinctive.

I haven't been right since. Some would even say I wasn't much better before. Some interesting things were sneezed up the week after.

Comment

Working...
                                X