Irish Steel Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    What travelling crane? The Gantry at the slagheap?
    Yes!
    Sorry, this was the pic I ment to include earlier.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Test Pilot; 21 March 2008, 17:18.

Comment

• I imagine it'll be the last bit to go. Iron oxide is flyin out of that place.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I imagine it'll be the last bit to go. Iron oxide is flyin out of that place.
        I wonder how deep they will go with the removal of the iron oxide? There were times when Ispat dug large holes to put 'spoils' in. It was highly suspect because they employed security men to ensure no one took any photo's at the time. I got threatened at one stage.
        One night while on duty, a worker from Irish Ispat entered the naval base from the mill and emptied the sampling bottle nearest the hospital, which had been placed by the IPA to monitor the air. He was confronted, but disappeared back into the mill.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Is NMC actually on the island?
          Stand by! We may have a municipal waste incinerator shortly built beside the National Maritime College. We just got rid of the steel mill, now we're off again.

Comment

• That has been in the pipeline for many years. The emissions from there will be negligible. However the Plans for the relocated port of cork may also impact on that decision. The incinerator must go somewhere.

Comment

That has been in the pipeline for many years. The emissions from there will be negligible. However the Plans for the relocated port of cork may also impact on that decision. The incinerator must go somewhere.
              I would accept that we must have an incinerator, but not next door to a college, Naval Base, working port, village, Cobh, Carrigaline etc.
              Shurely common sense would dictate that it would be placed in a less populated area.

Comment

• Hard to find a less populated spot in Cork than Ringaskiddy. Plus its near all its potential customers who are currently shipping their waste by road...

Comment

• Irish Steel mill site nearly cleared. A Maritime Museum did some one say?
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Out flying this morning? I saw Mermaid pull in only yesterday evening.

Comment

Out flying this morning? I saw Mermaid pull in only yesterday evening.
                      Yes, but didn't see any Mermaid.

Oops! Sorry - I did!
                      Here she is!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Test Pilot; 30 March 2008, 16:10.

Comment

• Mermaid is the Red RMS Bulker in the basin.

Comment

Mermaid is the Red RMS Bulker in the basin.
                          Aaah! Right.

Comment

• regarding the aerial pic of the steel site, the land that ispat occupied, was that land fill, were there dry docks there at some stage........?

Comment

• No. The arial photo is of the area I photographed seen earlier in this thread. That site used to contain the factory.

Before

After
                              Last edited by Goldie fish; 30 March 2008, 19:06.

Comment

• There were wharfs or cambers as they were refered to,between the newly exposed buildings and the steel mill site. Long since filled in.

Comment

Working...
                                X