No announcement yet.

Irish Steel Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It has nothing at all to do with the thread it was just something that came to mind while I was reading the previous entry, and as you had introduced toilet paper into the mix I thought well!!!

You probably could not burn that stuff very well.

Another thing it used to be good for ws if the sink plug was missing a wet ball of that stuff shoved into the plug hole worked as a temporary measure.

"Necessity is the mother of invention"

Comment

• all the dublin lads are very annoyed if you look out your window and cant see the liffey you are not from dublin ,,,,,,,,,,,,, up the liberties
      Last edited by golden rivet; 30 January 2009, 14:20.

Comment

• Ustabanera

Ronnie Drew R.I.P used to say he was a culchie from Dublin, he was from Dun Laoghaire.

He was from an era when the Navy had wooden ships and Iron men.
        Last edited by blaisec; 30 January 2009, 15:10.

Comment

• Originally posted by blaisec View Post
          It has nothing at all to do with the thread it was just something that came to mind while I was reading the previous entry, and as you had introduced toilet paper into the mix I thought well!!!

You probably could not burn that stuff very well.

Another thing it used to be good for ws if the sink plug was missing a wet ball of that stuff shoved into the plug hole worked as a temporary measure.

"Necessity is the mother of invention"
          I remember that very well it was great for having a shave (well every other day)

and after wards as you were leaving the abulitions

you squeezed the wad and threw it at the nearest person

what fun we had

but that was before Play Stations
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
            all the dublin lads are very annoyed if you look out your window and cant see the liffey you are not from dublin ,,,,,,,,,,,,, up the liberties
            But you can't see the Liffey from the Liberties either.
            Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

• Originally posted by Victor View Post
              But you can't see the Liffey from the Liberties either.
              you can smell it
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                you can smell it
                No, thats the locals.
                Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

• Couldn't get a playstation in the plughole...so probably why its not happening.

The whole Irish steel thing has always been a bit of a mystery to me.

Why was it located in Cork in the first place?

Why did only become a problem after it had closed and become derelict?

Is there not any chance of recouping the loses or part there of from Ispaat?

Is Ispaat as a company still inexistence overseas?

Where are the directors and where does their liability lie?

Was there no acoountability in place during the time Ispaat were title holders?
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    by the way YFH

what part of Dublin are you now residing in
                    Kildare.

Comment

• 22. Deputy Seán Sherlock asked the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and
                      Local Governmentthe action he will take on foot of the White Young Green
                      report into pollution emanating from Haulbowline Island; if it is his
                      intention to investigate areas such as beneath the former steelworks
                      buildings as recommended in the report; and if he will make a statement on
                      the matter. [3900/09]

38. Deputy Seán Sherlock asked the Minister for the Environment, Heritage
                      and Local Government if he has received a report from Cork County Council
                      regarding licences or permits that might have issued for the removal for
                      recycling of slag material from the former Irish Ispat site at Haulbowline
                      Island. [3901/09]
                      Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government (Deputy John
                      Gormley): I propose to take Questions Nos. 22 and 38 together.

My Department is finalising a Memorandum for Government which will provide an
                      update on the outcome of the extensive site investigation and the interim
                      works carried out since 2003 at Haulbowline and will detail options for
                      future use of the site which will determine the levels and extent of further
                      works and remediation that may be required. Investigation of the areas under
                      the footprint of the steelworks buildings which were not possible to access
                      at the time of the 2005 site investigation due to the unstable nature of the
                      buildings remains a key issue to be addressed in this context.

Consultations with the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment which
                      holds a current mandate from Government to establish a group to look at
                      future options for the site, the Department of Finance who own the site and
                      the Department of Defence who share the Island of Haulbowline will shortly be
                      initiated. Consultation with the local community so that their requirements
                      can be considered by the Government will also be pursued.

My Department has neither requested nor received a report from Cork County
                      Council regarding licences or permits that might have issued for the removal
                      for recycling of slag material from the site prior to my Department taking
                      over management of the site in June 2003.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Irish Times Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Group to decide on Irish Steel site

Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, John Gormley yesterday announced that the Government is to establish a new working group to develop detailed proposals on the future of the former Irish Steel/Ispat site at Haulbowline in Cork harbour.

Mr Gormley said that the group, which is to be chaired by the Office of Public Works, will involve a range of Government department and State agencies and will be asked to determine the optimum use for the site.

The group would also look at legacy issues relating to pollution at the site and proper public consultation with the local community would be a priority for the group, he said.

"Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

• How many working groups is that now?

Comment

• I read in todays Irish examiner(Print version, can't find it online) that a number of the staff involved in the cleanup are to sue the Dept of Environment for exposing them to harmful substances, without them being properly briefed or protected from the risk.

Comment

• I heard that report on the radio, the report mentioned that there were 6 six persons making the claim. I don't think any of them are locals.

Comment

• True. However the sub tendering process is passing the suit onto the Dept of Environment. More about in todays examiner, however yet again, not found online.

Comment

Working...
                                X