Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sure bout that?

Comment

Yes. The EPA said so. Take it up with them. The radioactive materials found in Irish steel were not enough to fill a small tin of boot polish. These were used in the testing process. There is no waste stored on Rocky Island. However there is Toxic waste(from the steel process) stored on the Slagheap on the east of the Island.

If there was radioactive material from Chernobyl on rocky Island, there would be a lot of the NS serving their contract in the Cancer ward at CUH. Adi Roche would be taking children from Ringaskiddy and bringing them to Limerick...

Trust me, if what you say above had an ounce of truth, NOBODY in the NS would cross the bridge to go to work every morning.
      Attached Files

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Does anybody know whats going to happen with the land on which the steel is on now?
        I know the Dept of Enterprise owns it, but perhaps Dept of Defence could buy them out?

Comment

Dept of defence don't want it until it is a green field site. Otherwise they will get landed with the cost of cleanup, which would be better spent on replacing the entire fleet.

Comment

Lt Maccer now are entering intothe realms of fantasy....go check out rocky island for your self...given that at the time the department were at aloss regarding the loss of the facility..it is believed that it will be ceded to them regardless of cost!
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

thx Goldie, thats an excellant view of the hrb. (except for the eyesore).

Comment

Latest photos, taken this evening, from the same spot as seen earlier. I don't know what the plans are for the dockside cranes.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Goldie, never notice how big those cranes were/are. must have been masked by the size of the buildings all the time.

"I don't know what the plans are for the dockside cranes."

paint them grey and use them for loading proposed new blue/green ship?????

Comment

The one closest to the camera is dead,has been for some time.

Comment

Heres a few I took this morning. It was freezing out so the quality isnt the best.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Latest news is all work has been halted because asbestos has been found.
                        It'll be another month or so before they resume work.

Comment

Taken prior to Eithnes departure I notice....
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Ya i took them sunday morning

Comment

Originally posted by Lt McCarthy
                              Latest news is all work has been halted because asbestos has been found.
                              It'll be another month or so before they resume work.
                              Thats a Joke for starters. Every roof of every industrial building in Ireland built up to 1980 used asbestos. Even the PVs used it as lagging for the exhaut pipes. I remember there being a panic about 10 years ago when it was decided to replace it.

If the demolition company decide to stop work now because they "discovered" it, then it means they do not have the correct expertise to demolish the building in the first place? Before demolition begun, their safety statement must have listed the type of materials they expected to encounter, and the methods and measures they would use to safely store and eventually dispose of these hazardous materials.

A more likely story, is that they have moved into the furnace hall, which requires much more delicate demolition than the cooling bays, which were already stripped of their equipment..The East wall of the Furnace hall is also a load bearing wall,which carries one of the rails which the Flying dockside crane travels. This must be moved before any further demolition takes place.

Comment

This picture shows a better view..

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X