No announcement yet.

Irish Steel Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody know what colour tarpaulins they are going to use to cover the heaps, I do hope it is a nice colour.....
    Here is a place that might be able to help........
    http://http://www.tarpaulinsdirect.ie
    What do you mean abandon ship
    Are they taking requests?

Comment

• It won't be covered with tarp. It would be membrane, often seen under gravel driveways, which is then covered in topsoil, similar to what is done with most open dumps.
      Realistically, this type of recovery should have been ongoing by the operators from when the tip first closed instead of all the poking and sniffing.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Most common membrane is product called Terram,comes in carpet like rolls.

Comment

• I do sincerely apologise.....me and my tarpauline...
          They will be using stuff like this
          http://http://www.terram.com/
          What do you mean abandon ship
          Are they taking requests?

Comment

• An illegal dump covering 22 acres of the island and containing slag and waste from the steel plant's furnaces is the ugly and dangerous legacy that has been left behind.
            interesting that it only became illegal after the previous users had left the site.

What were the EPA doing up to the time Mittal left?

It didn't become an illegal dump overnight.There was no regulation of the site regard polution or waste control and the place under under scruitiny anytime there was a serious accident usually involving someones death.

I often wonder will there be a knock on health effect to people who worked alongside this facility.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Hi there
              @laners, dontcha know illegal dumps are not visible to the official eye, no matter how often filth-laden trucks rumble through the nearby towns and villages and despite years of complaints from local citizens. We've got quite the selection here in Wicklow and they were often used by the local Council as well. The dumps in question are literally a stone's throw (or a bag of medical waste, if you like) from the N81 and Blessington lake.

regards
              GttC

Comment

• I wonder how many people were killed in the factory, or were injured in an accident that ended their working life. I can think of 2 fatalities. The last one was an electrical apprentice who died eventually following a horrific electrocution. R.I.P.
                The problem regarding health effects is that it would be very difficult to pin health problems on the Steel mill, given the other substances which were routinely dumped into the atmosphere and water in cork harbour. The nearby area is an asthma hotspot. But is that because of Irish Steel, IFI(NET) ADM or all the other defunct pharma industries in the harbour?

Comment

• Up to 1980 here it was not illegal to litter,dumping only became regulated in 1986 by virtue of an EEC directive,probably the gov flogged on the works to Ispat around that time to wash its hand of the looming toxic problem.
                  As yet the position re pre 86 dumps operated by councils is unclear,they need as much clensing as illegal ones and are being funded by he waste levy which the gov has us believe is all down to illegal tippers etc.

Comment

• Well, it has been a while, and tonight I attended an information session in Cobh hosted by Cork Co Co to bring those interested up to speed on what's happening next with the east tip.

I'll put the presentations up when they become available, but the main points are as follows.
                    • The slag pit will be reprofiled
                    • Capping will be constructed over it
                    • Permanent engineered structure will surround the pit

Achieving the above will only be achieved through:
                    1. Road Upgrade (more about that later)
                    2. Revised security arrangements

The intention is to create an amenity area on top of the existing east tip. In addition to the above, the existing football pitch, property of the NS will be renewed, and additional parking provided.

The Capping will consist of the following.
                    • Topsoil/Subsoil layer, minimum 1 metre in thickness,
                    • Drainage Layer (Aggregate/Gravel)
                    • Barrier Membrane
                    • 600mm Mineral layer
                    • Waste

The Shoreline will have , surprisingly, not a bund, but a costructed shoreline that will provide protection from tide and current, perhaps even providing a perimeter path, but will still allow certain seepage, as the tip is part of the water table.
                    As I mentioned above, the topsoil /subsoil layer will be 1m thick throughout the site. Thiss all needs to be imported. This will create a larger traffic volume in local areas, not forgetting the Bridge to the island.

It was revealed that the structural integrity of what was once the longest bridge in ireland is questionable. Signs will shortly be erected, stating that a 25T weight limit is in force.
                    The Naval Service have been informed.

So the question is. If you need to cover about 18 acres with 1m thickness of topsoil etc, and you have a weight limit of 25T on the only bridge access...... How do you get the heavy machinery in?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

So the question is. If you need to cover about 18 acres with 1m thickness of topsoil etc, and you have a weight limit of 25T on the only bridge access...... How do you get the heavy machinery in?
                      Bring in a different engineer, some consulting engineers leave a lot to be desired. I doubt the bridge in question is part of the NRA power grab?
                      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Have you seen the bridge recently?

It is not on a national route.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          Have you seen the bridge recently?

It is not on a national route.
                          Not at all recently and I never had a look at what's holding it up. Wouldn't be surprised if the NRA were in charge of it though
                          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• They aren't. It's a Cork Co Co project.

Comment

• So the question is. If you need to cover about 18 acres with 1m thickness of topsoil etc, and you have a weight limit of 25T on the only bridge access...... How do you get the heavy machinery in?
                              Thats only the first question. The second is how they're going to get 90,000 tonnes of topsoil onto the site. In both cases the answer might well be to do it by ship/barge/boat.

You could track a 25t excavator across the bridge and stay within the weight limit, but the real problem would be getting the soil there. A 25t limit means that even 4 axle rigid trucks will be constrained in what they can carry - at 15t a load, that's over 6,000 laden trips and 6,000 back unladen. Hardly going to do the bridge any good if there's an issue. The bridge is going to need to be fixed in any case, but in the short term, I'd say barge it in.

Comment

• Ah yes. Barge it in. That's the next problem. Given that it appears the site of the Old mill itself has not been cleared of potential waste, and numerous holes, pools, and various relics of former structures stick up high enough to damage any vehicle using the quayside... how do you get it out (given that no dockside bulk handling equipment exists, and again, you can't get the cranes required accross the bridge - even the smallest mobile crane capable of unloading a ship would be double the bridge weight limit).

A more pressing issue exists for the NS. The Diving truck, an 8x4 Scania flatbed with Crane, is normally used. With the decomp tank on the flatbed, this vehicle could(Open to correction) exceed the weight limit. Obviously the Rigo crane, all 90 tonnes of it, is stranded.
                                Should the NS relocate all its vehicles to NMCI in the short term, or alternatively, charter a small vehicle ferry? I'm sure you could load vehicles onto it from the Camber...

Comment

Working...
                                X