Page 40 of 83 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 2059

Thread: OPV Replacement

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Its only built 2 years... Glad they finally sorted out the issues.
    What was wrong with it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    What was wrong with it?
    http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...ject+protector

Post Thanks / Like

Trinidad & Tobago OPV

TTS Port Of Spain

Definitely looks like a very capable OPV; large flight deck, good air search radar, single point davits on stbd side, large multipurpose crane midships, only missing a nice medium calibre gun.
    Last edited by Dogwatch; 21st February 2010 at 15:36.

Legate
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree. Why build a capable, modern warship and then neuter it like that?

Post Thanks / Like
    There seems to be a trend of that on Minor warships lately. Big swing towards self contained medium calibre RWS as main armament. Fine if you can be assured of a major warship to back you up if things get too hairy, Like the RN or RAN, but for small countries like T&T, there is a danger you could meet druglords with a heavier armed craft than yours...

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, strictly speaking it's not a warship, it's a coastguard vessel, which probably explains the lighter main armament. Could have done with a helicopter hangar also, although maybe that's not necessary if it's just going to be stooging around Trinidad and Tobago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, trend for minor warships is Helideck only. Even Flight 1 and 2 Arleigh Burkes had no hangar. Its an unnecessary use of space which in practice will rarely be used for purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

An example of such.... HMS CLYDE with a civvy helo on flight deck in Falklands

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again, trend for minor warships is Helideck only. Even Flight 1 and 2 Arleigh Burkes had no hangar. Its an unnecessary use of space which in practice will rarely be used for purpose.
    But the later Flight II Arleigh Burkes have two SH-60s and two hangars for them. I suppose it comes down to the nature of the mission: if a helicopter is going to be operating regularly from the ship, then probably it would be necessary to have a hangar so that maintenance and repair work can be done, and to protect it during periods of rough weather. Personally I think that a helicopter provides a lot of extra capability and flexibility to a ship, but like everything else in life, there's a price to be paid. I think the trend for naval vessels is that they are becoming platforms for smaller air, sea and underwater vehicles, both manned and unmanned - UAVs can't replace a helicopter, not yet anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    The first batch of Burkes were built to replace the helicopter less Charles F. Adams class destroyers, whereas the last batch of Burkes were built to replace the helicopter hangar equipped Spruance class destroyers.

Post Thanks / Like
    But the later Flight II Arleigh Burkes have two SH-60s and two hangars for them. I suppose it comes down to the nature of the mission: if a helicopter is going to be operating regularly from the ship, then probably it would be necessary to have a hangar so that maintenance and repair work can be done, and to protect it during periods of rough weather
    You have summed it up pretty well, mission dependant.

ASW would be the only area that would be dependent on having a whole time presence so with the multi roles of ships have we gone back to the age where we would have a helicopter base ship attached to any major unit to deploy to specific ships as required..think along the lines of seaplane carriers.
    Here endeth the lesson!

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Portugal's new Viano do Castelo OPV, similar specs to ours,

details at http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...00/Npop360.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks interesting. Weapons fit is very limited, could it accomadate an Oto Melara 76mm I would wonder ?
    Here endeth the lesson!

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like

Oto Malera 76mm

I note on different sites that the range of the 76mm Oto varies between 20-30K. however does anyone know how accurate it is at these ranges. Am I correct that the gun is only as good as the fire control system guiding it which can vary in effectiveness from Navy to Navy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like any guns, its down to the accuracy of the aimer. I know they replaced the sighting thingy (LIO?)on the peacocks soon after they got them.
    I believe a 20k accuracy is acceptable. At that stage you are usually over the horizon anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting alternative to LCS!

Look a interesting concept of ocean going OPV option for the US Coast Guard. Based on the "Holland" class dutch OPV (actually under construction).
    Without doubt, a US Navy version could replace the VERY expensive (6/700 millions $) LCS.
    This Dutch big OPV is characterised by :
    - A big crew reduction: 50 crew (+ space for 40 additionnal)
    - A good endurance: 5000 miles at 15 knots
    - A good armament againt low threat (57 or 76mm gun, 25/30mm gun, machines guns, RHIB, helico + hangar.......all well suited to fight pirate, smuggler & terrorists)
    - A relatively low price (150 million € per unit vs +/- 500 for a LCS...)

Post Thanks / Like
    If it isn't built in the US of A from All American steel its a non runner.
    They are fond of large crews too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone was bound to let it slip sooner or later..

Shane Moloney
    My background is a little different *– I’m a mature graduate who left school at 18 to become a mechanical engineer, and only returned to university several years later to pursue a future in marine engineering.

On graduating, I took a good look around – I think I went for seven interviews. What impressed me about Babcock was the type and quality of the development scheme which was accredited to all the major engineering institutions. The programme is well structured with a balanced view both of my needs and those of the company. For someone already with a background of working experience, that clearly made practical sense.

So far I have been involved in two major projects. Firstly, the concept design of a large offshore natural gas liquefaction plant, in which I predominantly worked on the power plant cooling water system – and for three weeks I was the only marine engineer on the project!

My past three months have been spent at Rosyth, working on the refit of the Royal Navy frigate HMS Montrose. This got me out of the office and gave me valuable hands-on experience of collaborating on-site with the project naval architect in designing the engine room layout, and with our own production team in comprehensively testing refurbished systems.

Next up, I’m off to Appledore in Devon, to join a programme building two new offshore patrol vessels for the Irish Naval Service. This placement was an opportunity that came along when Babcock became preferred bidders and could not be missed. Being able to put a good case forward and making the placement happen is fantastic, you really can shape your direction here. There are loads of opportunities, but you need to be proactive.

At Babcock I know I can develop myself to my full potential, and influence some of the most important, high profile engineering projects in the UK today. We’re encouraged to think of ourselves as the managers of the future, and I appreciate that even at this early stage, my opinion does matter and my voice will be listened to. It feels quite strange to go from the design office to the dockyard, thinking that in four years’ time I could be running a part of this. That’s a considerable challenge, and one I’m looking forward to.
    http://www.babcock.co.uk/pages/caree...e-moloney.aspx

FYI, HMS Montrose left refit in July last year, just to date the profile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone was bound to let it slip sooner or later..
    I wonder who the other bidders were?

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends when it was published, he could be talking about Roisin & Niamh!

Post Thanks / Like
    So thats the winning bidder, what is the winning design??
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Depends when it was published, he could be talking about Roisin & Niamh!
    Fos someone who normally excels at pointing out the obvious, your own observation skills leave a lot to be desired.
    Read my post again, specifically the bit where i explain where HMS montrose, which he worked on, was in refit until july.... You realise Roisin and Niamh were built 10 years ago. Babcock Didn't build the ships then it was Aker yards, who are now STX. But at the time of building were Kvaerner Masa Marine. Babcock only took over part of DML, the company that own Appledore, in 2007. And DML took over appledore long after Niamh was built.
    Last edited by Goldie fish; 1st April 2010 at 22:18.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Aker Yard Marine's offshore patrol vessels.
    Publication: Marine Log
    Date: Sunday, June 1 2008

Aker Yards Marine has teamed up with Babcock Marine, Plymouth, England, to supply the Irish Navy with a second generation OPV.

The Naval Service has two existing 78m OPV's that have been operating since 2001. The Le Roisin and Le Niamh, were both designed by AYM in collaboration with a subsidiary of Babcock Marine, Appledore Ship-builders Limited. The new OPV design is to be 82m...."

Post Thanks / Like
    New design or building off the shelf, or just enlarged P50s..at least its happening.

Wonder how fast the announcement will be after this clown dropped the ball. Hope he hasn't banked on a career building naval vessels in the future.

Can bet there will be some in his chain of command who won't be too happy about that slip.
    Here endeth the lesson!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very surprising that its on Babcocks own careers website. It isn't like its a blog or anything.

Thread Information