Likes Likes:  670
Dislikes Dislikes:  14
Page 98 of 107 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 2665

Thread: OPV Replacement

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    In the past it might have been an easy fit for the Peacocks to go to the Philippines, however I'm not sure that politically any Govt is going to be keen to go down that road today.

Duterte is a strange character, and his pronunciations on drug dealers/lack of interest in civil rights, will have the PANA types up in arms should the CPVs be sold on there.

Coupled with this is his pivot away from the US and toward Russia/China.
    The Trump administration have worked with Duterte better than Obama so that pivot away has been generally stabilised. Equally at the same time improved Phillipines ties with South Korea and Japan have blossomed as part of each others regional strategic hedge against China. Duterte has said that he will buy arms off Russia and seek investment but many feel that is leverage to ratchet up more and better US/JP/RoK military aid packages. It is also a signal to China (and to the US) that the Philippines is no one countries puppet. Furthermore India has recently penned a defence and economic co-operation agreement.

Japan has gifted ten new build Parola class patrol vessels to the PCG and the first of the ex RoK Navy Pohang-class corvettes will be transferred to the PN next month. Only a single Pohang so far but there is an expectation that more will be offered. Korea and Japan are quite happy to gift excess defence articles or sell EDA's at knock down prices to "clear stock" to Vietnam and the Philippines so I doubt Peacocks will be of great interest. Africa would seemingly be better prospect.

What about a diving wreck for recreational and tourist diving as an alternative?

2. Thanks Herald thanked for this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like

Float out was deferred today. Weather is brutal on the UK west coast. They have a tide window till Monday.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

4. Thanks sofa, Orion thanked for this post
    Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    snip

Float out was deferred today. Weather is brutal on the UK west coast. They have a tide window till Monday.
    We really don't have the best luck with weather during the float out and fit out period do we? Wasn't it JJ that was delayed due to the storms then?

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think one of those ships has been floated out on time. I wonder were any delivered on time?
    Worth remembering when drawing up the detail of the EPV/MRV contract?

7. Likes Sparky42 liked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    G.B. Shaw floated out early this morning.
    http://www.torridge.gov.uk/article/1...3rd-March-2018
    The latest newbuilding ship for the Irish Navy has been succesfully floated out at first light this morning.
    Pilots Roger Hoad, Paul Gyurgyak Pilot Boat coxwain John Pavitt and Keith Stevens together with the shipyards crew and tugs Willanne and Lundy Puffin towed the ship out of the covered yard just before dawn this morning as the wind had eased from the previous gales.
    The operation went smoothly and the ship is now safely alongside at New Quay yard Appledore. The 90 metre vessel will now be finished fitting out and commisioned with trials in June.

OPV floats out from Appledore shipyard photo John Pavitt

9. Thanks restless, Flamingo, apod, Sparky42, sofa thanked for this post
    Likes Sparky42 liked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Photo from Norman Hardaker, taken of the ship after float out.

11. Thanks pym, restless, 25 pounder thanked for this post
    Likes hptmurphy, ibenji liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 76 appears to be missing? usually fitted when in the shed, see all photos of previous builds. or is there some optical illusion.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    The 76 appears to be missing? usually fitted when in the shed, see all photos of previous builds. or is there some optical illusion.
    Possibly going to fit the gun from whichever CPV is going to be retired later in the year.
    Would explain how this ship is a few million euro cheaper than the last three.

14. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    So if she's going to be fitted with the CPV's gun will that be done in Cobh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    Possibly going to fit the gun from whichever CPV is going to be retired later in the year.
    Would explain how this ship is a few million euro cheaper than the last three.
    Breaking news????
    Time for another break I think......

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Breaking news????
    I said possibly, there could be another reason why there is no gun.

18. Likes restless liked this post
    Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was there any mention in the contract at the time, wasn't the 76mm's their own item on the contracts for the other 3?

Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Was there any mention in the contract at the time, wasn't the 76mm's their own item on the contracts for the other 3?
    Weapon systems are often Govt. Furnished Equipment ( GFE ). Provision has to be made to have weapon mounts/ foundation surveyed in from a reference Gyro. The mount is usually machined to meet all tolerances before the weapon and turret are inserted and bolted down. More difficult to do it afloat in a lively dock. It is a matter for Ordinance and any external contractor hired for installation procedure. P31 gun was surveyed in by Reps from Royal Armourers Uk.
    The age of the gun is only significant if ammunition is restricted in type or not available, if FCS needs special interfaces to match old gun requirements , and we cannot do it without major assistance. It is probably the worse scenario given the effect on confidence and morale.

21. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't there a pic of a 76mm being removed from an NS vessel for maintenance in the last year or so (it was refitted obviously) - but it is within NS/Dockyard experience

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guns have been removed for refurbishment when the ships themselves are also getting a refurb. Nothing Ordnance cant handle.

Attached Images Attached Images

24. Thanks restless, DeV thanked for this post
    Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Were the guns for the P50's actually fitted in Cobh anyway when they were built? I have a photo somewhere around that time of a low loader with a mount on it being driven onto Cobh?

26. Likes DeV liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    An old grainy picture of one of the LPV's without its gun fitted.
    I've no date for this picture but it has no hull number painted on it so could be during seas trials or delivery.

Attached Images Attached Images

28. Likes DeV liked this post
    Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guns have been removed for refurbishment when the ships themselves are also getting a refurb. Nothing Ordnance cant handle.

I appreciate that Ordnance can remove and install a gun. The question is are they happy to survey in the mount and correct it for a FIRST installation. ?

30. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curious because both are undergoing refits at the moment and Ciara has had her gun removed!

32. Thanks restless thanked for this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought eithne was next for decommissioning? followed by the peacocks, if so why would they swap a gun over from ciara when she has another 3/4 years left in her. Curious indeed.

Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought eithne was next for decommissioning? followed by the peacocks, if so why would they swap a gun over from ciara when she has another 3/4 years left in her. Curious indeed.
    Eithne is the next for replacement, however since Shaw wasn't planned there's now the question of how to man her I would guess. If so perhaps one of the Peacocks is going to be used for spares for the other and the crew moved to Shaw?

Post Thanks / Like
    Eithne is slightly newer than the Peacocks and easier to crew. Comes down to which is more economic to run. Eithne has had a long refit last year, another few years in her yet.

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    An old grainy picture of one of the LPV's without its gun fitted.
    I've no date for this picture but it has no hull number painted on it so could be during seas trials or delivery.

If memory serves correctly the P50s were delivered without guns because some gobshite in the Public service was afraid the EU might withold funding because it was now classed as a warship(?) as opposed to a fishery protection vessel.

Post Thanks / Like

38. Thanks restless, 25 pounder thanked for this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember Roisin had a number of problems after delivery with the mounting of the Fire Control unit. (In addition to issues with Bilge keel falling off).
    When Niamh arrived the Fire control unit was mounted differently to Roisin. Niamh was delivered with armament, I think.

Thread Information