Thanks Thanks:  466
Likes Likes:  618
Dislikes Dislikes:  14
Page 104 of 105 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105 LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 2613

Thread: OPV Replacement

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Passing Whitegate now if anyone has a spot to get a look.

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Passing Whitegate now if anyone has a spot to get a look.
    Got dark here at 1930. All you'll see is 2 white mast lights and a green light. Later, you'll only see a white stern light
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

3. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    P64GBS.jpg

Photo of George Bernard Shaw alongside today. Image credit Defence Forces Twitter account

5. Likes na grohmití, Flamingo, spider liked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whoever is running the twitter account has done great work this week.

7. Thanks sofa, DeV, apc thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo, DeV, spider liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    the weather was not helpful this morning.

9. Thanks apc, EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes Sparky42, spider, hptmurphy, Rocinante liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pilatus View Post
    P64GBS.jpg

Photo of George Bernard Shaw alongside today. Image credit Defence Forces Twitter account
    Is that an IR camera on top of the bridge?
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spider View Post
    Is that an IR camera on top of the bridge?
    May be optronic FCS including IR.

12. Thanks spider thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    May be optronic FCS including IR.
    It is the optical FCS fitted to all ships in the class, although I do notice she has a new Kelvin Hughes Sharpeye X-band radar fitted.

14. Thanks spider, DeV thanked for this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    It is the optical FCS fitted to all ships in the class, although I do notice she has a new Kelvin Hughes Sharpeye X-band radar fitted.
    Kelvin Hughes radars were always a UK choice. This one has a lot of innovation being magnetron and waveguide free. Built in target analysis at operational ranges is said to remove need for transponders for Helicopter tracking. The transceiver is in the rotator housing at mast height . More than one PPI can be used simultaneously at different ranges and mode. Given that it is solid state, let's hope all the bits are from secure sources or have bee adequately tested before integration in the system

16. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    zoom! enhance!

One of the Customs cutters heading downriver.

Last edited by derfel_ie; 14th October 2018 at 16:15.

18. Thanks Herald thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmití, hptmurphy, Turkey, Rocinante liked this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a random question, but will the P50's midlife work be done in Cobh or somewhere else and how long is it likely to take for each? Though I suppose that depends on how much work is done.

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a random question, but will the P50's midlife work be done in Cobh or somewhere else and how long is it likely to take for each? Though I suppose that depends on how much work is done.
    It goes to tender. Whoever wins the tender gets the work.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmit� View Post
    It goes to tender. Whoever wins the tender gets the work.
    Mid-life refit aka half-life refit is a mixed bag of updating and repair subject to survey . Elements of it are done , if required at a drydock to repair or replace hull steel work, followed by a hull paint system. Parts of the work is carried out by the Naval Dockyard at a price per job and some is done by service personnel. Certain equipments may be replaced eg radars and others could be added. The refit is probably NOT done by one entity but currently it can be done entirely in Cobh. A number of outside contractors could do the steel/ pipework work, but will do so at the sole national drydock which is privately owned.
    The amount of money allocated will determine the quality of the refit . The P50's will be 18 and 19 years old in 2019 and deserve a refit ++.

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    P31 got a major refit in 2006. (one of many) Everything not steel was removed. Everything steel was gritblasted down to bare metal and repainted. Most if not all of her internal wiring was replaced. The drydocking was a minor part of the work, and would be done on a regular basis anyway. The current Searider launching arrangement was fitted.
    Between her launch and this point, most of her Navaids had been modernised. Aircrew accomodation had been repurposed (into a cadets mess, in one instance).
    On other vessels, the flooring below deck would be replaced as necessary. This is also relatively major work, but has been carried out at Haulbowline. Main armaments have been removed for maintenance. Secondary armaments have been replaced. (on the P20 class, on 3 occasions during their service).

23. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    I presuming that Shaw has gone in to the Graving Dock, I was driving passed so couldn't check but she's not over at the wharf and one of the 60's is in there.

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last time I checked there was two of them tied up at the Cruise Liner berth.

26. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mid-life refit aka half-life refit is a mixed bag of updating and repair subject to survey . Elements of it are done , if required at a drydock to repair or replace hull steel work, followed by a hull paint system. Parts of the work is carried out by the Naval Dockyard at a price per job and some is done by service personnel. Certain equipments may be replaced eg radars and others could be added. The refit is probably NOT done by one entity but currently it can be done entirely in Cobh. A number of outside contractors could do the steel/ pipework work, but will do so at the sole national drydock which is privately owned.
    The amount of money allocated will determine the quality of the refit . The P50's will be 18 and 19 years old in 2019 and deserve a refit ++.
    Tymor of Aberdeeen have been awarded the contract to carry out whole ship and systems SURVEY for the P50 vessels with a view to recommending works required to extend their operational lives to a specified date, including upgrades where applicable. Who will do the work has yet to be decided. There is an article in NAVY NEWS TODAY.

28. Thanks na grohmití, DeV, Shaqra thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that's that then.
    While they were constrained by the Tidal Range of the Torridge, they did build us six excellent modern vessels, and for a time, had an excellent working relationship with the Irish Naval Service. I understand many were keen to continue this relationship into the P31 replacement. Clearly this will not now be the case.

30. Thanks DeV, Shaqra, EUFighter, sofa thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://gcaptain.com/babcock-to-clos...source=twitter

I notice reference to the thought that staff could relocate to other Babcock facilities, such as at Devonport. 4 hours by public transport, 2 hours drive, allowing for Dartmoor.
    To localise the route, its the same as saying those who used to work in Dublin Port can instead now work in Wexford. It will kill the area completely, given the many ancillary industries working around the Dockyard.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    While certainly true that it's going to kill the area, sadly I think the options for Appledore had pretty much run out imo.

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    While certainly true that it's going to kill the area, sadly I think the options for Appledore had pretty much run out imo.
    They peaked doing modules for the RN aircraft carriers. They could have possibly continued in this way had the Type 31E project got off the ground, and Babcock were the successful bidder.
    They had also recently, unsuccessfully bid for an arctic survey vessel, which had been their only hope until a Type31 decision was made. I'd be inclined to suggest the yard, like British shipbuilding, was a casualty of Brexit. All other yards are surviving on RN contracts.

35. Likes DeV liked this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmit� View Post
    They peaked doing modules for the RN aircraft carriers. They could have possibly continued in this way had the Type 31E project got off the ground, and Babcock were the successful bidder.
    They had also recently, unsuccessfully bid for an arctic survey vessel, which had been their only hope until a Type31 decision was made. I'd be inclined to suggest the yard, like British shipbuilding, was a casualty of Brexit. All other yards are surviving on RN contracts.
    For more than a century Britian was the Industrial power house of the World sustained by an immense Merchant Fleet all under enterprising ownership. This was backed up by a capable Naval presence based world wide. Since the early 1980's there has been a collapse of the Merchant Fleet AND it's ship building base with no plan B to maintain a critical level of industrial capability. Defence has been wounded , lamed, and a bit thread bare in power requirements. With the go alone policy the leaky holes in the dykes will have to be plugged by themselves alone.
    Interestingly Canada has opted for the Type 26 frigate ASW for their Navy.

37. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For more than a century Britian was the Industrial power house of the World sustained by an immense Merchant Fleet all under enterprising ownership. This was backed up by a capable Naval presence based world wide. Since the early 1980's there has been a collapse of the Merchant Fleet AND it's ship building base with no plan B to maintain a critical level of industrial capability. Defence has been wounded , lamed, and a bit thread bare in power requirements. With the go alone policy the leaky holes in the dykes will have to be plugged by themselves alone.
    Interestingly Canada has opted for the Type 26 frigate ASW for their Navy.
    More telling is Canada is ordering 15 Type 26 frigates while the RN is only getting 8!
    As for the decline of the ship building this started right after the end of WW2 (sorry "The Emergency") with the end of Empire. The Merchant Navy went with the decline of the heavy industries and manufacturing. Without the civil base to sustain the yards they became reliant upon navy orders but not these too have dwindled. Sadly this may only be the start of a number of other yards going to the wall: Rosyth with the PoW starting sea trials next year the amount of work there will soon decline and if there is no Type31 order then it is bleak for new builds.

39. Likes Sparky42, DeV liked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Worth noting that not one of the newbuild RN OPVs have managed to enter service yet. The one that has been launched has had to return to the builders with mechanical and quality issues. As these ships were ordered, only to keep the Clyde yards open until the frigates were built. Verolme went down this route in 1984, hoping for a second or third Government order to ensure their survival(P32 and a research vessel). The subsequent orders never materialised, and there is much debate whether they were ever even in the pipeline.
    There is still a huge demand for merchant vessels, but only at low cost. It is difficult to understand how Babcock Appledore could not compete with the Tiny yards on the Rhine and Schelde putting out tonnage for the Likes of Arklow Shipping or Wagenborg.

41. Likes hptmurphy liked this post

Thread Information