Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would this "grey and green" ship be involved in fishery protection?

Comment

on a slightly off thread note, what are irelands plans for naval vessels if we get the major extension to our sea boundaries ? Are there any more plans for naval vessels or is it just this single green/blue ship that is on the cards.

Comment

Yes & Yes the prosposed MRV replacement will be used for a number of important task such as Fishery Protection (Patrolling EEZ) "which be there Blue Tasks" also with be capable of being used for such tasks as Amphibious Support Vessel for Army Deployments to overseas locations such as Liberia or Kosovo or possible future missions such Sudan or similiar.. It will also be capable of bringing supplies to Humanitarian Crisis Situations like in West Africa Or South East Asia it would possible of transporting supplies,NGOs and other associated agencys i.e Army Engineers,Medical Corps etc.. "which will be some of there Green Tasks" These are just some of the duties that the New Naval MRV Vessel will be undertaken if it is purchased.

On the other question of whether the Naval Service are only to recieve a Single MRV there are plans in foot for the NS to recieve Two other vessels to replace to replace the further Two P20 Class have been mentioned personnally I would love to see a further Two P50 Class Purchased to replace them..
        British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
        Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

I imagine each request will be considered on a case by case basis. Perhaps a second vessel of this type would replace Eithne when she is finally due to retire, but I think it would be difficult to justify replacing all The P20 class with a large vessel of this type(But it would be nice).The current mixture of Large(p50) medium(p20) and small(p40) patrol vessels is probably the best mix, given the different roles that the Naval Service carry out.

Its "Blue/Green" Mikey, relating to the roles undertaken(not the ships colour). Fishery Protection is considered a "Blue" role, while carrying equipment or troops to missions overseas is traditionally a "Green" role.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

You would think the PDF are landing troops on a weekly basis. This type of ship would be used three or four times a year for re-supply missions, in the mean time P21 will be gone soon gone and the other seven ships are trying to take up the slack of fishery protection. The patrol days are gone up again this year and there is a higher number of boardings to be carried out. The NS cant do this with one less ship. Where would she be birthed? We bearly have the numbers at the moment to put the eight ships to sea with the support needed never mind one with a crew of 150. The tax man wouldan't get value foe money out of this ship. What the NS need is anothed version of P51 or P52 that would be more suited to the Rapid Reaction Force (RRF)
            Last edited by Ta Dawn; 12 January 2006, 07:41.
            The British were met with their own weapons,
            They had gone down into the mire to destroy us and our nation,
            And down after them we had to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta Dawn
              You would think the PDF are landing troops on a weekly basis. This type of ship would be used three or four times a year for re-supply missions, in the mean time P21 will be gone soon gone and the other seven ships are trying to take up the slack of fishery protection. The patrol days are gone up again this year and there is a higher number of boardings to be carried out. The NS cant do this with one less ship. Where would she be birthed? We bearly have the numbers at the moment to put the eight ships to sea with the support needed never mind one with a crew of 150. The tax man wouldan't get value foe money out of this ship. What the NS need is anothed version of P51 or P52 that would be more suited to the Rapid Reaction Force (RRF)

Did you read any of the above posts at all? I think the naval service know what's best for themselves. Also, it's been stated on this site, a few times now, that there has been space made available for this new, larger vessel in the naval base.
              Last edited by pym; 12 January 2006, 09:20.

Comment

Any relation to the Previously banned Waterford based sluggie, "the dawn"?

Comment

Sluggie?????????? I have the balls to go and do the regular PDF, not like yourself, someone who sits around reading and talking about it. Yes there is room being made in the baisin, but when a ship of this dimensions is alongside the west wall and there is ships alongside the east wall it dosnt leave much room for the likes of P31 P51 or P52 much room to move around. Think about reality and not about what your dreaming of.
                  The British were met with their own weapons,
                  They had gone down into the mire to destroy us and our nation,
                  And down after them we had to go.

Comment

There is no need to go all RDF v PDF here. I have a proper well paying job in civvy street, the reserve is something I do in my spare time. Now Grow up, Make your point(if any) and back it up.
                    I do not "dream" these posts. Most of the information i post here is given to me from Officers and senior rates of the NS.

Its odd that you have the same surname as a former waterford based sluggie who we banned for insulting Female members of the Waterford NSR, and myself.Same sig as him too. Heard he got spanked by the NSR after we banned him...

Comment

I tend to agrre with Ta Dawn . We appear to need more ships and more people to crew them and as he implies should the navy invest in a ship that will give them increased capability for something that they may seldom if ever have to use. Yes I know someone will come back and say why not build ships without main gun as it will seldom be used but there is a probablity that it will be used.
                      Perhaps also the value of installing very expensive complex sensors and fire control systems also need to be reevaluated. Perhaps less sophisticated gear , would be better value for money and allow more ships more naval presence etc.

Comment

What expensive complex sensors and fire control systems are you talking about exactly? Have you even read the thread?
                        I am pretty sure Cdr Mellet knows a bit more about naval ops than failed naval reservist Ta Dawn. I'll take Mellets word, if you don't mind.

Comment

Yes I am sure Mellet knows a lot more about Naval matters than Ta Dawn and I am sure me as well and I am sure Mellet is a very dedicated professional officer however Brass in all services in all armies enjoy empire building, a liitle subjective judgement at time etc. Just look at the history of military procurement and dare I say doctrine over the years to recall some momunmental cock ups from the brass or those who should know not only with our little band but with all armies, navies airforces etc. . The Dauphins for an example.. Who remembers the 203 sets
                          As for Ta Dawn being a failed sluggie well he is entirled to his opinion. I even spent a while when I was a scoolboy in the sluggies myself 303s and a trip on the Banba ...now I am showing my age and then went on to bigger bangs ..Anyway the point is he is entitled to his opinion..

Comment

Oh by the Blue Max way how in gods name are they going to deploy the ship to Sth and East Sudan--where the hassle is the only decent port is in port Sudan. a long way away and in Enemy terr. so as `to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT
                              ..Anyway the point is he is entitled to his opinion..
                              Oddly enough, no he isn't. He was initially banned from this website for being abusive to other members of the naval reserve and IMO members,and he gave up his right to give his opinion here. He has since been moderated and will be banned again should he decide to have any further abusive outbursts.

The Officers of the naval service did not select the Dauphin.

Comment

Question the navy have roughly 1000 personel can the handle a ship this big? Bear in mind im coming from an aero background where I here that a plane only need 20 man hours per flying hour I think is good. IS there such a thing with ships i.e. amount of time in dock before it can go out to sea.
                                Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Working...
                                X