This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Its only built 2 years... Glad they finally sorted out the issues.
    What was wrong with it?

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
      What was wrong with it?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Trinidad & Tobago OPV

TTS Port Of Spain

Definitely looks like a very capable OPV; large flight deck, good air search radar, single point davits on stbd side, large multipurpose crane midships, only missing a nice medium calibre gun.
        Last edited by Dogwatch; 21 February 2010, 16:36.

Comment

• Agree. Why build a capable, modern warship and then neuter it like that?

Comment

• There seems to be a trend of that on Minor warships lately. Big swing towards self contained medium calibre RWS as main armament. Fine if you can be assured of a major warship to back you up if things get too hairy, Like the RN or RAN, but for small countries like T&T, there is a danger you could meet druglords with a heavier armed craft than yours...

Comment

• Well, strictly speaking it's not a warship, it's a coastguard vessel, which probably explains the lighter main armament. Could have done with a helicopter hangar also, although maybe that's not necessary if it's just going to be stooging around Trinidad and Tobago.

Comment

• Again, trend for minor warships is Helideck only. Even Flight 1 and 2 Arleigh Burkes had no hangar. Its an unnecessary use of space which in practice will rarely be used for purpose.

Comment

• An example of such.... HMS CLYDE with a civvy helo on flight deck in Falklands

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                    Again, trend for minor warships is Helideck only. Even Flight 1 and 2 Arleigh Burkes had no hangar. Its an unnecessary use of space which in practice will rarely be used for purpose.
                    But the later Flight II Arleigh Burkes have two SH-60s and two hangars for them. I suppose it comes down to the nature of the mission: if a helicopter is going to be operating regularly from the ship, then probably it would be necessary to have a hangar so that maintenance and repair work can be done, and to protect it during periods of rough weather. Personally I think that a helicopter provides a lot of extra capability and flexibility to a ship, but like everything else in life, there's a price to be paid. I think the trend for naval vessels is that they are becoming platforms for smaller air, sea and underwater vehicles, both manned and unmanned - UAVs can't replace a helicopter, not yet anyway.

Comment

• The first batch of Burkes were built to replace the helicopter less Charles F. Adams class destroyers, whereas the last batch of Burkes were built to replace the helicopter hangar equipped Spruance class destroyers.

Comment

• But the later Flight II Arleigh Burkes have two SH-60s and two hangars for them. I suppose it comes down to the nature of the mission: if a helicopter is going to be operating regularly from the ship, then probably it would be necessary to have a hangar so that maintenance and repair work can be done, and to protect it during periods of rough weather
                        You have summed it up pretty well, mission dependant.

ASW would be the only area that would be dependent on having a whole time presence so with the multi roles of ships have we gone back to the age where we would have a helicopter base ship attached to any major unit to deploy to specific ships as required..think along the lines of seaplane carriers.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Portugal's new Viano do Castelo OPV, similar specs to ours,

details at http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...00/Npop360.jpg

Comment

• Looks interesting. Weapons fit is very limited, could it accomadate an Oto Melara 76mm I would wonder ?
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Oto Malera 76mm

I note on different sites that the range of the 76mm Oto varies between 20-30K. however does anyone know how accurate it is at these ranges. Am I correct that the gun is only as good as the fire control system guiding it which can vary in effectiveness from Navy to Navy.

Comment

• Like any guns, its down to the accuracy of the aimer. I know they replaced the sighting thingy (LIO?)on the peacocks soon after they got them.
                                I believe a 20k accuracy is acceptable. At that stage you are usually over the horizon anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X