This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting alternative to LCS!

Look a interesting concept of ocean going OPV option for the US Coast Guard. Based on the "Holland" class dutch OPV (actually under construction).
    Without doubt, a US Navy version could replace the VERY expensive (6/700 millions $) LCS.
    This Dutch big OPV is characterised by :
    - A big crew reduction: 50 crew (+ space for 40 additionnal)
    - A good endurance: 5000 miles at 15 knots
    - A good armament againt low threat (57 or 76mm gun, 25/30mm gun, machines guns, RHIB, helico + hangar.......all well suited to fight pirate, smuggler & terrorists)
    - A relatively low price (150 million € per unit vs +/- 500 for a LCS...)

Comment

• If it isn't built in the US of A from All American steel its a non runner.
      They are fond of large crews too.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Someone was bound to let it slip sooner or later..

Shane Moloney
        My background is a little different *– I’m a mature graduate who left school at 18 to become a mechanical engineer, and only returned to university several years later to pursue a future in marine engineering.

On graduating, I took a good look around – I think I went for seven interviews. What impressed me about Babcock was the type and quality of the development scheme which was accredited to all the major engineering institutions. The programme is well structured with a balanced view both of my needs and those of the company. For someone already with a background of working experience, that clearly made practical sense.

So far I have been involved in two major projects. Firstly, the concept design of a large offshore natural gas liquefaction plant, in which I predominantly worked on the power plant cooling water system – and for three weeks I was the only marine engineer on the project!

My past three months have been spent at Rosyth, working on the refit of the Royal Navy frigate HMS Montrose. This got me out of the office and gave me valuable hands-on experience of collaborating on-site with the project naval architect in designing the engine room layout, and with our own production team in comprehensively testing refurbished systems.

Next up, I’m off to Appledore in Devon, to join a programme building two new offshore patrol vessels for the Irish Naval Service. This placement was an opportunity that came along when Babcock became preferred bidders and could not be missed. Being able to put a good case forward and making the placement happen is fantastic, you really can shape your direction here. There are loads of opportunities, but you need to be proactive.

At Babcock I know I can develop myself to my full potential, and influence some of the most important, high profile engineering projects in the UK today. We’re encouraged to think of ourselves as the managers of the future, and I appreciate that even at this early stage, my opinion does matter and my voice will be listened to. It feels quite strange to go from the design office to the dockyard, thinking that in four years’ time I could be running a part of this. That’s a considerable challenge, and one I’m looking forward to.

FYI, HMS Montrose left refit in July last year, just to date the profile.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          Someone was bound to let it slip sooner or later..
          I wonder who the other bidders were?

Comment

• Depends when it was published, he could be talking about Roisin & Niamh!

Comment

• So thats the winning bidder, what is the winning design??
              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                Depends when it was published, he could be talking about Roisin & Niamh!
                Fos someone who normally excels at pointing out the obvious, your own observation skills leave a lot to be desired.
                Read my post again, specifically the bit where i explain where HMS montrose, which he worked on, was in refit until july.... You realise Roisin and Niamh were built 10 years ago. Babcock Didn't build the ships then it was Aker yards, who are now STX. But at the time of building were Kvaerner Masa Marine. Babcock only took over part of DML, the company that own Appledore, in 2007. And DML took over appledore long after Niamh was built.
                Last edited by Goldie fish; 1 April 2010, 23:18.

Comment

• "Aker Yard Marine's offshore patrol vessels.
                  Publication: Marine Log
                  Date: Sunday, June 1 2008

Aker Yards Marine has teamed up with Babcock Marine, Plymouth, England, to supply the Irish Navy with a second generation OPV.

The Naval Service has two existing 78m OPV's that have been operating since 2001. The Le Roisin and Le Niamh, were both designed by AYM in collaboration with a subsidiary of Babcock Marine, Appledore Ship-builders Limited. The new OPV design is to be 82m...."

Comment

• New design or building off the shelf, or just enlarged P50s..at least its happening.

Wonder how fast the announcement will be after this clown dropped the ball. Hope he hasn't banked on a career building naval vessels in the future.

Can bet there will be some in his chain of command who won't be too happy about that slip.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Very surprising that its on Babcocks own careers website. It isn't like its a blog or anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        New design or building off the shelf, or just enlarged P50s..at least its happening.

Wonder how fast the announcement will be after this clown dropped the ball. Hope he hasn't banked on a career building naval vessels in the future.

Can bet there will be some in his chain of command who won't be too happy about that slip.
                        enlarged P 50 class has to be but the question is what improvement from rosin and niamh maybe more more space on there after decks

Comment

Fos someone who normally excels at pointing out the obvious, your own observation skills leave a lot to be desired.
                          Read my post again, specifically the bit where i explain where HMS montrose, which he worked on, was in refit until july.... You realise Roisin and Niamh were built 10 years ago. Babcock Didn't build the ships then it was Aker yards, who are now STX. But at the time of building were Kvaerner Masa Marine. Babcock only took over part of DML, the company that own Appledore, in 2007. And DML took over appledore long after Niamh was built.
                          Correct apologies, having said that please see below

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
                          "Aker Yard Marine's offshore patrol vessels.
                          Publication: Marine Log
                          Date: Sunday, June 1 2008

Aker Yards Marine has teamed up with Babcock Marine, Plymouth, England, to supply the Irish Navy with a second generation OPV.

The Naval Service has two existing 78m OPV's that have been operating since 2001. The Le Roisin and Le Niamh, were both designed by AYM in collaboration with a subsidiary of Babcock Marine, Appledore Ship-builders Limited. The new OPV design is to be 82m...."
                          The may have submitted a joint bid but they definitely didn't get the ok on that date (press release is dated 1 June 08)...... the preferred bidder was only selected in May 2009!

Comment

Someone was bound to let it slip sooner or later..

FYI, HMS Montrose left refit in July last year, just to date the profile.
                            id say he is in the sxxt house monday .. emergency meeting in haulbowline to how such sensitve information got leeked ha ha

Comment

• Originally posted by zone 1 View Post
                              id say he is in the sxxt house monday .. emergency meeting in haulbowline to how such sensitve information got leeked ha ha
                              Ah he won't be in the s**t house, it will be whoever ok'd the information being made public who will be in trouble. I'd say we could see an announcement within the next week or two, most likely when the Dail gets back from their latest two week break.
                              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• well its great to see the project going ahead that's the main thing

Comment

Working...
                                X